Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Things you need to know about strings

Discussion in 'Bass Strings' started by DiMarco, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

I love them. It may be the (really) high tension, but they sound good even when they are older. Another thing I like is that I can do a lower setup, so I dig heavy with the right hand but it feels easy on the left hand.

2. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Owwwwwkayyy... they are down after two months. Lost the brilliance, no chance for a good slap sound or clicking sounds. Still they are useful if you play a round vintage sound. They keep the volume and the balance to each other.

39,- EUR for one set is a hard nut though. Do I need 5 sets each year? Oh oh... The Warwick EMP have a bit rawer sound, don´t last one day longer and when they die the E string loses volume, means they become useless. Same price - advantage for the Optima strings. Still I will try the Dean Markley blue next. Optima stays optimum atm. If somewhere a discount pops up for the Optimas I will buy a load of them.

3. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    @Hardy I know what it was, you 're so eager to play your bass after enjoying a nice carbonara that you forget to wash your hands. Even gold can not withstand spaghetti sauce in the long term. Damn, I am hungry now.

Hardy likes this.
  4. Hardy

Advertisement says that they do not get rusty or show any wear. Mine went from gold to silver at the "hot spots" and started to show minor wear/black spots. I don´t think I have aggressive sweat, also the G string lost brilliance in the same way like the E string. I think it was just time for them to say goodbye.

5. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    Sounds like they don't deliver on their promises. Can't help but think about Elixir nickels, my favourite strings. They may seem pricey but are in fact cheaper. If you are interested in longevity, these are the strings to try, unless you have already. Their coating is the smoothest in the business so they last so much. Even when they are completely "dead" they are perfectly usable and lively, with just a little loss in treble which may even be desirable. I play with my hands washed always and don't sweat a lot, so they last ages for me.

6. Hardy

I ordered a new set yesterday and realized that I ordered the last set one year ago and didn´t manage to install them for 10 months. Maybe the long period of storing was a reason for their short life. The Elixir I use for my "collectable" basses which I only touch once a year or even less often. Soundwise the Optima strings beat all other on the Buzzard. They have a deep impact on the sound in a positive way. Like the Elixir they don´t let you down once the brilliance is gone. But for the best sound I need them more fresh. If the new set has the same lifetime I maybe change my mind.

7. Nightmaresandconclusions

Nightmaresandconclusions

Just restrung my Stage 1 with some Anthony Jackson exposed core strings. I really really like the exposed core strings. The Foderas were quite expensive and on first jam seemed overly bright but they have settled in now after a week or so and sound great. Before them I was using the F bass exposed cores which were lovely but I had two strings which buzzed. So quality not the same as the foderas.

Tip# if you have exposed core strings and you get a buzz from them unravelling you can just spin them clockwise two or three times at the bridge end them tighten them up and the buzz goes away.

I love the feel of this type of string and they sound fab!

Hardy likes this.
  8. Villis Kabadais

Villis Kabadais Bass Instructor

Villis
    ok guys i become endorsement to bulk strings.... i think they are great for their price!
    price is low because no marketing taking place so from mouth to mouth

Bulk Music

keep in mind that they produce only nickels.

jester, Hardy and DiMarco like this.
  9. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    It's the first time in my life I hear about exposed core strings, lol.

10. Hardy

Ordered two sets of Optima Gold strings for a fair price. One set was shipped immediately - that to the left in the pics. The other was shipped later.

Have a closer look. I’d say I should send that left set straight to Optima for displaying it in their museum.

I guess I got the good price because they didn’t update their price list for a longer time and only had this last set on stock.

What now? Accept them or demanding a new set? I shall write them before installing.

And check that difference in string length and the purple coating.

E64A34D7-97B1-415C-8324-453B41080FAF.jpeg 4989AE6B-31F1-461D-8BCB-DCD2E84CEAED.jpeg B0562E41-F490-4F0B-9D94-DADD51F9A9DF.jpeg 800EBE70-E95E-4FC8-A77B-2C378DA8B318.jpeg 228F9984-3E27-4C65-A599-E1CA0E49A827.jpeg 9D01F6FD-7EEC-48AA-8DBA-8A3855484895.jpeg

11. Toepfer

Toepfer Good Vibe Sponsor

Pepe
    What? Both show 5 digit city codes. Can't be that old

12. Hardy

Right. Those city codes came in 1993. That’s only 25 years ago. ;)

Toepfer likes this.
  13. Hardy

O.K., dealer wrote me back: I will get a new set for free and I can keep the old one. Good service! The dealer is Martins Musikkiste. My recommendations!

Too bad he also checked his price list and also raised the prices from now on to 39,- EUR. I should have ordered 10 sets at once, haha!

RIP likes this.
  14. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Good Vibe Sponsor

Being I only have two basses now and play them both equally, like every day, I'm finding out its going to cost a lot more for strings

It was kind of weird the other day when I started noticing some buzzing on some frets, and I said to myself "well it can't be the set up as this bass is perfect and the strings are only 5 months old" and then I noticed it was going out of tune pretty easily.

Well I changed the strings and all is perfect again......end of story

Thanks for listening

RIP :)

jester likes this.
  15. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    Same strings?

16. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Good Vibe Sponsor

Yeah, I use DR Hi or Fat Beams.....they are super crispy for the first day or two, but then they settle in real nice.....I really like em'

But yeah, normally I swap out strings about every 6 months, but now that I'm putting a lot miles on these two basses, it really takes it toll on strings.

I'm thinking I'll probably have to swap em out every two or three months now

jester likes this.
  17. jester

jester ocdemon

Yanni
    I love DR HighBeams... an all around great quality string. Like you say they settle down very nicely and then last very long. I make sure I wash my hands before I play to remove natural grease and also I am lucky to not sweat a lot so, long string life.

RIP likes this.