=the Warwick Nobby Meidel Club=

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi there Forum, I have just bought off of reverb a nobby body, I found most of the hardware except for the tuners, what would you guys recomend?

Hi!

Just the “body”? Neck cut off? Pictures?

As for tuners... accurate with a modern touch would be Schallers newish ones...unless you could find some era correct Schallers. Gold was default...while the few painted Nobby’s “usually” had black hardware.

Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
Hi there Forum, I have just bought off of reverb a nobby body, I found most of the hardware except for the tuners, what would you guys recomend?
If it is the naked body :rolleyes: there are some parts you can buy at Warwick
Nobby Meidel Parts
other parts like the Schaller bridge, you'll find at Thomann.de
tuner are also Schaller with small wings, don't know the specs. Pickups, your choice if rebuilding e.g. EMGs

Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
Hi!

Just the “body”? Neck cut off? Pictures?

As for tuners... accurate with a modern touch would be Schallers newish ones...unless you could find some era correct Schallers. Gold was default...while the few painted Nobby’s “usually” had black hardware.
GOLD IS A MUST ;)

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
The tuners were Schallers so i would recommend those as being original.

Hoggles

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
And while the Nobby club is geting attention... 7 little fellas reportedly at a show in 1984.

I see 1 fretless w/lines & dots and 1 no lines. All Wenge necks. 2 w/Schaller pups, rest EMG. Can of wax. Warwick snare?? Awesome!

Look at all those orange cases... where have they all gone :(

Nobby Booth 1984.jpg

Credit to the Nobby Meidel Facebook page for the pic

Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
And while the Nobby club is geting attention... 7 little fellas reportedly at a show in 1984.

I see 1 fretless w/lines & dots and 1 no lines. All Wenge necks. 2 w/Schaller pups, rest EMG. Can of wax. Warwick snare?? Awesome!

View attachment 22906
Did you install mirrors at your house :) :D

Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich

View attachment 22906
Scott, the necks could be wenge - difficult to tell. The '84 show may have the new '84 models, possibly ?
Could this be the transition from rosewood to wenge necks - what would be the serials ?

steembass

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
No - it breaks??
no, no..:D.
The old design:
It is fixed with 2 screws. Those screws tend to „work out“ over the years. And small „cracks“ on the top part of the neck may built up (from the drill holes of the fixing screws)..the new design (Tedur) is better...maybe we can convince HP to offer those made from brass (similar to JAN III):);):cool:

Reaction score
I've owned #391 since 1987 and it's been my main gig instrument since then, supported by a '76 USA Fender Precision and a '79 Ibanez Musician fretless.

It didn't come with the supporting part for the strap, so I've never missed that. It was completely standard until approx 20 years ago when the Schaller passive pickups gave up the ghost. Now has same pattern active Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups fitted which have, if anything, enhanced the tone quality.

Also had a refret performed by the excellent Jimmy Moon in Glasgow.

Definitely worth the small amount paid for it in 1987!

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
I've owned #391 since 1987 and it's been my main gig instrument since then, supported by a '76 USA Fender Precision and a '79 Ibanez Musician fretless.

It didn't come with the supporting part for the strap, so I've never missed that. It was completely standard until approx 20 years ago when the Schaller passive pickups gave up the ghost. Now has same pattern active Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups fitted which have, if anything, enhanced the tone quality.

Also had a refret performed by the excellent Jimmy Moon in Glasgow.

Definitely worth the small amount paid for it in 1987!
Well you could also swap the Schaller Pickups with DiMarzios DP126, those are identical, except the cable colours ;)
Happy to hear that you are so happy with this bass for such a long time :)

Top Bottom