=the Warwick Nobby Meidel Club=

BrusselsBass

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
No! Its Rio Rosewood, certificated. 84 yes. An early one. (New hardware and pickups, 2way Glockenklang preamp) No serial.
Hard to tell from the pics because the neck wood is very dark. I have a fretted rosewood like yours (probably earlier) and a fretless No 190, and that is wenge. Warwick changed the neck wood because rosewood was too soft, causing 'twisted' necks. See the difference below.
Screenshot_20210720-160424_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210720-160516_Gallery.jpg

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics because the neck wood is very dark. I have a fretted rosewood like yours (probably earlier) and a fretless No 190, and that is wenge. Warwick changed the neck wood because rosewood was too soft, causing 'twisted' necks. See the difference below. View attachment 23239 View attachment 23240
Hey! Yes, thanks! Its Wenge, the other is Rosewood. I know to decide between Wenge and Rosewood. Trust me. Its Rosewood. (I owned 6 Nobbys. Today 5. The 26 frets gone with a Wenge neck. The others are Rosewood with Rosewood necks. There are some reasons to go to Wenge. Sure. I love the Rosewood necks much more! ;-) )

My Rio Rosewood Nobby has no serial. I think its a really early one. He has never a serial! I got him as an raw piece of wood with frets. I rebuild him 2 years ago. They use only in the first years Rio Rosewood in some basses. The wood was not very expensive in this times. But the well known problems with twisted necks are horrible. There are not more than max. 35 around. Do you know why they go to Wenge? I do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey! Yes, thanks! Its Wenge, the other is Rosewood. I know to decide between Wenge and Rosewood. Trust me. Its Rosewood. (I owned 6 Nobbys. Today 5. The 26 frets gone with a Wenge neck. The others are Rosewood with Rosewood necks. There are some reasons to go to Wenge. Sure. I love the Rosewood necks much more! ;-) )

My Rio Rosewood Nobby has no serial. I think its a really early one. He has never a serial! I got him as an raw piece of wood with frets. I build him 2 years ago. They use only in the first years Rio Rosewood in some basses. The wood was not very expensive in this times. But the well known problems with twisted necks was horrible. There are not more than max. 35 around. Do you know why they go to Wenge? I do.
It was not a rebuild sorry, it was a absolutley first setup.

Top Bottom