=The Warwick Katana Club=

Reaction score
Are the Pickups in the Katana BO 5 Active or Passive?

Thanks

Shaun

gjj

Reaction score
That’s right. I totally forgot. The gold MEC label means active and the chrome means passive.
They are active. On the spec sheet that accompanies the bass it says: MEC Active J/J, 5. Hope you are enjoying that gorgeous bass!

Reaction score
They are active. On the spec sheet that accompanies the bass it says: MEC Active J/J, 5. Hope you are enjoying that gorgeous bass!

I Love the Katana. I was thinking of buying a 3 band MEC EQ. I wanted to add the Mid control.

Reactions: gjj

gjj

Reaction score
knt5_body_01-jpg.3836

I am thinking of mating this beauty with a set of Optima Gold "Unique" strings. 24k gold strings.
I know it will look fabulous. These are pricey strings however - $90.00! Has anyone used these strings? Along with fabulous looks I would like superb tone. It has that already - so far with any strings I have tried so I am hopeful.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I think @Hardy has!

And about that 3 band vs 2 band preamp: I have owned both and strongly prefer the 2 band.
Why? The 'treble' on a 2band is like the higher midrange on a 3band. On the 3band the treble control was completely obsolete and sitting at a way too high frequency for my taste.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
knt5_body_01-jpg.3836

I am thinking of mating this beauty with a set of Optima Gold "Unique" strings. 24k gold strings.
I know it will look fabulous. These are pricey strings however - $90.00! Has anyone used these strings? Along with fabulous looks I would like superb tone. It has that already - so far with any strings I have tried so I am hopeful.

I use Optima Gold strings on most of my „player“ basses. Only on the Katana I use Dean Markley Blue Steels, following an advice of @PaulS . The Katana is somehow not a typical sounding Warwick, don’t ask me why. Because the Dean Markley last as long as the Optima Gold strings, I will stay there. 90 $? Nahhh, that would be to steep for me since I know a good working alternative.

gjj

Reaction score
That is one of the loveliest Katanas I've seen @gjj Great flame and fretboard. Beauty!
Yes, I really am fond of well figured fretboards. Even though I knew I wanted this bass the neck really sealed the deal. Macassar Ebony.

Reaction score
I think @Hardy has!

And about that 3 band vs 2 band preamp: I have owned both and strongly prefer the 2 band.
Why? The 'treble' on a 2band is like the higher midrange on a 3band. On the 3band the treble control was completely obsolete and sitting at a way too high frequency for my taste.

So the 2 band is preferred over the three? Do I boost the high’s to get more of that growl?

Thanks

gjj

Reaction score
I use Optima Gold strings on most of my „player“ basses. Only on the Katana I use Dean Markley Blue Steels, following an advice of @PaulS . The Katana is somehow not a typical sounding Warwick, don’t ask me why. Because the Dean Markley last as long as the Optima Gold strings, I will stay there. 90 $? Nahhh, that would be to steep for me since I know a good working alternative.
Tell me a little more of why the Blue Steels are your preference on the Katana. Also, they do come in Blue Steels Nickel. Those or the Blue Steel Steels? I currently have EB Cobalts on it and they are pretty nice. Thanks.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Afaik the Katana growl sits at a lower, more warm sounding frequency then, say, the Thumb or SS2. It has an immense slap tone too. Because of its characteristics though dialing in upper mids or treble will probably bring out more snap and string-against-fret snarl but not more growl.

Top Bottom