Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

=The Warwick Katana Club=

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by warwickdread, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Menno

Menno

I want in on this club! Got a Katana NT5 black high polish and am thinking about a very special Katana CS.

Love the Katana, most people so i've heard disagree on this forum, but i think the shape is awesome. The sound is even beyond awesome.

2. gjj

gjj

Katana's are special instruments.

Now as to the NT5 Black High Polish - Post some pics - it sounds luscious!

3. Menno

Menno

I will post some pics as soon as i am done working on it. Cleaned the frets and fretboard, shiny. Next some adjustments as soon as the new strings arrive.

4. thefitz

thefitz

Man, I'm totally GASing for an Katana NT5...

If I have that as my main axe, and when I finished customizing my Streamer $$ to make it the swiss army knife of basses, I'd have the ULTIMATE bass stable.

5. thefitz

thefitz

Man, it sure is lonely around here!! Well, I finally found the Katana I was looking for! It's a natural finish 5 string with black hardware. Very cool! Hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but I can't wait. My previously mentioned $$ mods didn't end up working, so it has all the original electronics on it again and is now for sale to make room for the Katana!

For me, this bass is exactly like the Vampyre with more sensible pickup spacing, less intense look, and presumably better balance
    Same exact body woods, similar pickups, and the same preamp!

6. gjj

gjj

Congratulations man, you're gonna love it. You are right, it is lonely in the Katana Club. I don't get it. I have 2 of 'em - both 5's - a NT with goldware and a sweet ebony board and a BO in French Violet. Had a Honey BO 5 but reluctantly let it go.....I got them all for ridiculously low prices - hope you did too - being lonely and loving an unpopular bass does have it's upside!

Enjoy!! And put up pix when she comes!

7. thefitz

thefitz

I think I slightly overpaid on it in Katana terms, but it was a aweet deal regardless. I might have saved a few hundred if I was more patient, But I've been looking for so long that I don't mind.

8. herb vibes

herb vibes

now this is a cool purchase!:)

9. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

Waiting for the pics. :)

10. thefitz

thefitz

Hello all, the Katana arrived!! Very cool bass that has a sound I didn’t expect. When I dialled in my preferred pickup balance (i.e. start at the middle and pan towards the neck until you hear ‘the switch’ and stop there), I was shocked at the awesome, plunky, hollow tone. This might sound crazy, but I’d describe the tone as all the good aspects of the Gibson EB-0 bass (the depth, the plunk, the hollowness) without any of the bad (muddiness, woofiness, indistinct). I find the best sound setup when I dial in the treble 2/3rds the way up, the mids 1/3rd the way up, and leaving the bass flat. My favourite Jazz had this preamp setting, and I’m glad it worked here.

The bass was surprisingly light (after hearing about all these weight complaints) and had a slight neck dive to it. I grabbed the Hipshot Ultralites off of my Thumb and stuck them on here – problem solved!! Pictures will come soon – although it’s a regular natural Katana with black hardware lol.

I’m a little confused though – do I need to wax this thing? It feels like there’s no finish, but I thought it was REALLY bad to leave maple unfinished like that. Thoughts?

11. german56

german56

Welcome to the club. I am also the happy owner of a Katana NT 4 for about 2 years and I could not be happier. I love the growl, great built quality (could not be better), beautiful wood. I am Puerto Rican so I love big booty basses.

12. thefitz

thefitz

13. shaftbass

shaftbass

Chris
    Not a bad price. I wish I were looking.

14. Scott Reeder

Scott Reeder Warwick Endorser

unincorporated territory, Riverside County, Califo
    Here's the new custom Katana... I don't have it quite yet, though - it's killing me!

BeefBass.jpg

15. Sonicboom

Sonicboom

Nice Katana Scott lml lml

16. buchhojl

buchhojl

Katana available

Bass Northwest is showing two Katanas. I bought one; there should be one left. I'm anxiously awaiting delivery.

17. buchhojl

buchhojl

It arrived. But with an issue. After plugging in, after a few minutes "warming up," a loud, simmering, burbling white noise builds. Something fried in the circuit board I fear. I have returned it. The dealer assures me that he will fix it. I am satisfied that he will. I'll keep the board up-to-date as it happens. Otherwise, I very much like everything about the bass (built in '06.)

18. buchhojl

buchhojl

It is back! The dealer did indeed fix it. The problem, it seems, was in the push-pull volume pot. They replaced that, and, for good measure, replaced the preamp as well. Very thorough guys. I'll certainly recommend BassNorthwest (Seattle) as an excellent bass shop. They stand behind what they sell, and are quick to reply and quick to fix. I couldn't be more satisfied. According to what I've read here, my Katana is everything a Katana should be. I've only had it back and playing for just over 1 hour. I'll keep in touch with discoveries, questions, etc.
    JB

19. boston asphalt2

boston asphalt2 Official Forum Pain in the Ass

Give me a five string one with soap bars and I would be in heaven!

20. buchhojl

buchhojl

Bass Northwest has apparently sold it. No longer showing a Katana.