=The Warwick Fortress Club=

Reaction score
So that's where the basses I want most go, in closets halfway across the world...
Jealous mate! Beautiful Warwick.

Reaction score
So that's where the basses I want most go, in closets halfway across the world...
Jealous mate! Beautiful Warwick.
It actually started in Australia.........that's where I purchased it then brought it over the ditch to New Zealand. It looks much better after a good clean & polish. I best get onto it!

Reaction score
Guys hi all, I’ve bought this for €200 but of course is without neck. I ma a luthier but i would like to take it back in original state. What do you suggest me to do? I know it is a rare masterman bird’s eye .
CF8E3F3D-1694-42CC-AD47-FD75B3762A9B.jpeg

Reaction score
Guys hi all, I’ve bought this for €200 but of course is without neck. I ma a luthier but i would like to take it back in original state. What do you suggest me to do? I know it is a rare masterman bird’s eye . View attachment 25487

Just noticed this post! Beautiful masterman body, a new neck from Warwick would be expensive and you won't make your money back on the resale value probably.
But it would be nice to complete this again.

Reaction score
Hey guys. Searched the forum and couldn't find anything, so here goes...............

Has anyone tried flats on a Fortress Masterman? I currently have DR Lo-Riders and they sound great! But i've read a lot on the Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats & reviews say, "sound just like rounds, but with a better mid presence & of course.... super smooth on the fingers". Edit- So i bought a set to try (when they arrive).

Anyone using flats or tried them on a Fortress MM please chime in................

Last edited:
Reaction score
Real Name
Jens
Hey Hazeyboy,
I use for a long (and satisfying) time flats from ROTOSOUND on my Fortress ... but it is a fortress One, so another pickup-configuration. But on this one it growls fantastic and is still my preferred string choice! I think, you should try it out!
I suppose they are this one: Rotosound

Rotosound RS77LD 45 105 Jazz Bass 77, Monel Flatwound​

Reaction score
Hey Hazeyboy,
I use for a long (and satisfying) time flats from ROTOSOUND on my Fortress ... but it is a fortress One, so another pickup-configuration. But on this one it growls fantastic and is still my preferred string choice! I think, you should try it out!
I suppose they are this one: Rotosound

Rotosound RS77LD 45 105 Jazz Bass 77, Monel Flatwound​

Thanks Jens!

Great to hear! I have bought some Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats, so I'll try them when they arrive. But I'll note down your recommendation. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Real Name
Jens
Oh, and I use it on a Lefthand-Edition, for sure this will end up in another sound, too, ... maybe! 🤣😂

Reaction score
Hey guys. Searched the forum and couldn't find anything, so here goes...............

Has anyone tried flats on a Fortress Masterman? I currently have DR Lo-Riders and they sound great! But i've read a lot on the Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats & reviews say, "sound just like rounds, but with a better mid presence & of course.... super smooth on the fingers". Edit- So i bought a set to try (when they arrive).

Anyone using flats or tried them on a Fortress MM please chime in................

Great set of strings, will still sound more flatwound-y then roundwound-y, but as far as flatwounds go they feel nice and play well.

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
Great set of strings, will still sound more flatwound-y then roundwound-y, but as far as flatwounds go they feel nice and play well.
I also recommend the Cobalt Flats, i play them on a Fortress One Fretless and Fretted. On the Masterman i only used the normal Cobalt Rounds :)

Reaction score
Thanks, Gnermo! Makes me look forward to trying them when they arrive :D

Reaction score
I also recommend the Cobalt Flats, i play them on a Fortress One Fretless and Fretted. On the Masterman i only used the normal Cobalt Rounds :)
Thanks, Stainless! As mentioned above, it makes me look forward to getting them on & putting them thru their paces! :D

Reaction score

Update: The EB Cobalt Flats were nice, but i preferred the DR Lo-Rider Stainless feel and sound on my Masterman until.....................i threw on some Warwick Black Label 45-105 rounds and WOW! IMO they sound better than DR Lo-Riders! Plus here in New Zealand they are cheaper than the Lo-Riders. I always wondered if Warwick strings sounded good on Warwick basses & now i know 👌
👍😄

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've only owned & played one Warwick bass in my time (my Fortress Masterman) & know nothing on the other Warwick basses. I have the chance to buy a 1998 Corvette FNA made in Germany (Wenge not ovangkol neck) for $1100 NZD ($700 USD or 625 Euro) and wondering (I've searched online & couldn't find much good info) are they a nice sounding bass with the SD pup & pre? Are they much different sounding to the Fortress MM? I'm just hesitating because i don't want 2 basses that may sound similar? If they aren't totally different sounds i might hold off & look for another Warwick.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Is it a four or a five string? I really really like the F.N.A because it's a one pickup bass with three band EQ, which is something you don't see very often.
The Seymour Duncan preamp is very nice, and has a very user friendly 'slap' switch.

If it's a four string you're adding flavor to your range, and a five string will sound different from your fortress masterman because of the pickup placement. I THINK the FNA's pickup is placed closer to the bridge, but don't pin me on that. And the (obvious) added string. :)
Price depends on the condition ofcourse, but it's a decent price as is. If you're good at haggling you might have a deal on your hands.

Top Bottom