=The Warwick Dolphin Club=

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I think I have one of those .... but someone put frets on it (may even have been Warwick). Now have a very rare ebony boarded pro1 with silver frets.

I very nearly swapped it for a Maple 5-string that was on ebay ... but never agreed a price. So there is (at least, used to be) one in England somewhere too. Not as pretty as Stewart's though.

Please post some pics of this Rare Tropical Fish eh??

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
IMG_5543_Black.png
IMG_5543_Platinum1.png
IMG_5543_Black.png
IMG_5543_Platinum1.png

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
IMG_5536_Back_wo.png

IMG_5536_Front-wo.png

She got the real deal Satin finish gorgeous and way more depth in person...
The color is weird in different light and in pictures ... it morphs from Turquoise to a light Teal - Blue-Green.
Next up - Assembly with Fresh MEC PU's and she getting Plek'd - the fretboard and neck also get a wax/oil.

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
That is a stunning bass!
Thanks John!
IMG_4476.jpg

She was beautiful in a different way when I got her.
However, I had a vision and had to follow it.

The Completed Restore/Refinish should be complete before the end of the week.
I'll post the Final and a group of the current POD of Dolphins.
Excited!

Reaction score
I don't even like blue basses (LOL) but that would turn me! The effect is almost like the sea... and a Dolphin... made for each other.

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I don't even like blue basses (LOL) but that would turn me! The effect is almost like the sea... and a Dolphin... made for each other.
Your right over the target John 100%.

Not to sound cheesy, but that's what I "saw," and expressly sought with Wilkins when I put the refinish communications and reference images together for him to work towards.

She had to get a carefully applied Bleaching in order to get away from the aged golden that she had even after sanding - once "wetted," she went back to an aged orange/gold.

Figure this, that the wood was already quite old at Warwick for a really long time before they used it....
what is it that they say, 25-30 years before they cut into their wood?

Then crafted in 1999... The Bleaching made it about 30%++ lighter to b able to achieve the color and retain the depth and waves in the grain.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Turqoise with hints of 'seafoam green' caused by accents in the woodgrain.
Absolutely stunning! But you will have to think about what to wear with this bass before going on stage :)

BTW I think the choice for satin chrome hardware is solid.

Hoggles

Supporting Member
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
That’s beautiful! Came out amazing. Congrats!

Reaction score
Wow! That is looking amazing. Platinum was the right choice. Absolutely classy. I've been out of state for two weeks and I'm finally home and have been able to check my new Birdseye Dolphin out. It came as described with a few exceptions. The fretboard is slightly separating at the nut. Probably more cosmetic than structural. The bass was extremely dirty. I'd never worked on a bass as dirty as this one. On the surface it looks great but in the crevices there was foul tar build up. Someone who smoked must have owned this and it had not been cleaned in a long while. When I was taking the pickups out to scrape out all the crap in the cavities the positive lead for the twin jazz snapped as I pulled it up. Really unfortunate but it is what it is. I've sourced a replacement I will install myself. I was also unaware that Warwick used a shorter screw for the upper horn flush mount. Any time I get a new bass I swap the Dunlop locks because I don't know how old or worn they are and I've had old ones fail. Cheap peace of mind and better safe than sorry. I pushed the tip of the longer screw through the upper horn ever so slightly before I had realized what had happened. Total face palm moment. Really frustrating but now I've learned. Overall the bass is super killer there's just been a few speed bumps to get over. Here she is.
62727473559__318028CF-E630-43D8-976D-6E5D458F6DC9.jpeg
62743109289__F9D5509B-EF0E-47BE-9319-7F0BA63448F4.jpeg
IMG_6245.jpeg

Last edited:

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Wow! That is looking amazing. Platinum was the right choice. Absolutely classy. I've been out of state for two weeks and I'm finally home and have been able to check my new Birdseye Dolphin out. It came as described with a few exceptions. The fretboard is slightly separating at the nut. Probably more cosmetic than structural. The bass was extremely dirty. I'd never worked on a bass as dirty as this one. On the surface it looks great but in the crevices there was foul tar build up. Someone who smoked must have owned this and it had not been cleaned in a long while. When I was taking the pickups out to scrape out all the crap in the cavities the positive lead for the twin jazz snapped as I pulled it up. Really unfortunate but it is what it is. I've sourced a replacement I will install myself. I was also unaware that Warwick used a shorter screw for the upper horn flush mount. Any time I get a new bass I swap the Dunlop locks because I don't know how old or worn they are and I've had old ones fail. Cheap peace of mind and better safe than sorry. I pushed the tip of the longer screw through the upper horn ever so slightly before I had realized what had happened. Total face palm moment. Really frustrating but now I've learned. Overall the bass is super killer there's just been a few speed bumps to get over. Here she is.
View attachment 22306 View attachment 22307 View attachment 22308

SWEET TO SEE THIS!~
Looking forward to seeing your cleaned up and restore pics!
Congrats on the bass - We look to live close to each other... will have to hang when the world calms down...

Top Bottom