Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

=The Warwick Dolphin Club=

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Pepper Wadman, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Hoggles

Hoggles Good Vibe Sponsor

That looks to be from Wicks site. Should say on the info sheet.

2. Henrythe8

Henrythe8 Supporting Member Dolphin Hoarder

I think I know. it's the two (maybe three) way for the bridge pickup. The new electronics of Warwick cannot accept the pushpull for the coil splitting. Hence they had to add the switch. I suspect it's the same for the separated Vol/Blend controls : probably a sacked pot with push pull was not accepted with the electronics.

I can help a bit regarding the history of the Pro2. First ones were made in Germany but quality was inconsistent. Almopst all of the production was thrashed. A few models have escaped, though, and could be found on the Market. A real German Pro2 is therfore not a sign of ├╝ber quality. You can tell it's german because they do not have serial numbers sqtamped.
    The production moved to japan afterwards, in two phases, first the solid colors (like in germany), and then the semi transparent colors.

3. warwickhunt

warwickhunt

"You can tell it's german because they do not have serial numbers stamped"

So the definitive answer is; No serial number = German. Serial number = Japan?

...unless someone sanded the serial number off to make it look German! LOL

In that case I have never observed or heard of a German Pro II as they all have 91 - 92 serial numbers.

4. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

There are indeed German Pro2's out there The Japanese were made by Morris, the German by a company named Shadow. Most of the Shadow made ones were destroyed due to inconsistent quality. HPW did not deem them worthy of carrying the Warwick logo. This was in the Eggolsheim period.

Some of these 1990-91 Shadow built Dolphins must have escaped the grinder.

The pro2 was produced until 1999.

5. warwickhunt

warwickhunt

I've never seen/heard of the owner of a Pro II that didn't have a serial number. I've heard the story of the whole Pro II German/Shadow/MIJ/Morris (+other names) many times but I've never (till now) heard of a definitive way of identifying where a Pro II from the early production was made. It'll be worth any prospective buyer using a vernier gauge to check the thickness of Pro II headstocks in the future. :)

6. DiMarco

LOL! With each pro2, be cautious. They are different beasts from other Warwicks. Asking prices for them vary depending on the seller claiming it is German made or not. Funny how the Japanese are actually better according to W history.

7. warwickhunt

warwickhunt

I own a Pro II and I kept it despite selling a couple of Pro I basses (inc CS), I love it as a bass (not because it is Pro II or MIJ). A different bass indeed to the Pro I and despite similar outline, they really aren't similar in tone at all... though the rear pup solo is useless. :)

8. Scott French

Scott French

On the old ones when I see a switch there I assume it is for LEDs. Not sure on this one without the second stacked pot. Maybe they got rid of the active/passive bypass?

9. DiMarco

I AM BACK !!!

Dolphin_1.jpg Dolphin_2.jpg

Just tuned it and hooked it up. Great tone!
    Action is very low. No buzzing anywhere.
    Intonation is perfect. This is a first for any used bass I ever bought.
    Neck is thin and faaaaaast playing.

I am in love.

RIP, Hoggles, Henrythe8 and 3 others like this.
  10. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

Congratulations Marco! Wow, the neck and body look seamless- refresh me on the woods please.

11. DiMarco

Ovangkol with Maple veneer stripes. Wenge fretboard.
    Much awesome! Many tone! So bass!

Hoggles likes this.
  12. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

Congrats Marco!

13. Dazed

Dazed Good Vibe Sponsor

Wallowing in the blood and mud with all the other
    Welcome back !

DiMarco likes this.
  14. Henrythe8

I knew you were not lost to the cause, brudah.

DiMarco likes this.
  15. Hoggles

Hoggles Good Vibe Sponsor

Wow, stunning! Great to see you back on the W train, Marco!! Enjoy that beast!

RIP and DiMarco like this.
  16. Henrythe8

The Serial Number thingy ain't an exact science, just a correlation : I saw two Pro2 without serials, both in solid color (black and red), and were said to be of 89. To be honest, me no care that much, it's a great instrument, but I have to admit I find the neck to be too thin, now that I'm accustomed to 5-ers.

17. herb vibes

herb vibes

welcome back president!

DiMarco likes this.
  18. DiMarco

The herb lives! Good to see you in here m8.

herb vibes likes this.
  19. herb vibes

herb vibes

why shoudnt i live?:) thanks matey!

20. DiMarco

Last night I took the Ovangkol body and neck Dolphin for a spin in the rehearsal room with the band.
    Here's what's what...

First a little history: I have owned three Dolphin basses before this one; a 1991 fretless broadneck 5 boire with Bartolini soapbars, a 1995 regular neck 5 boire with Mec J/TJ and a 1989 boire 4 with Bartolini J/HB.
    The broadneck with bartolini soapbars in all honesty was sounding humble and modest compared to the growly 1995 with Mec and the 1989 which had this "Jaco-esque" nasal midrange going on that made it a different beast altogether. The latter wasn't growly at all but its midrange made it sound sooooo sweet in the mix. It however somewhat lacked bottom end and for this reason I let it go. I kept the 1995 five string in favor of it. I also sold the broadneck because I do not play fretless that much and my fretless at that time was my most pricey instrument and I hardly played it.

When my previous band "Eleven" collapsed, I had by then caught the "Cody Wright" fever and ventured into Zon basses. I owned two, sold one. These are very different sounding from Warwicks and for me were a welcome change or a breath of fresh air so to speak. I sold my last Dolphin to an awesome forummer named Morgoth. In between then and now I also owned a Warwick Streamer Stage II fiver and a special edition Corvette $$ fiver with lovely flamed maple body. While I could appreciate these Warwick basses I found myself liking the Zon Sonus more. Something in those Warwicks was missing. Now it turns out that the thing missing was the Dolphin factor.

So last night after only hearing my newskool Dolphin solo thus far in we went and experienced its tone in a real world situation...

This thing is so great! It has the growl of the 1995 I had earlier, but also the nasal distinct midrange of the '89 Dolphin. Sometimes it could even sound as if I was playing a fretless when I moved my right hand closer to the bridge. The band was amazed with its tone and yes I had that grin again. Dolphin body leaning on my right hip, me plucking away at the strings of this slightly too low hangin' wooden awesomeness called a Dolphin bass. It made me feel like coming home. Sure enough I like playing my other basses as well but me and Dolphins... we have a click I can't describe, it is just a combination that works better.

So we played some of our cover repertoire and since I was feeling so damn good about what I was playing, it all became quite effortless and I could focus more on my singing. I was being a proper musician and that is a feeling I haven't felt for quite some time. I played+sang Nirvana, Biffy Clyro, System of a Down, Queens of the Stone Age, Muse and even Jeff Buckley tunes as if it ain't a thing. So let me repeat my words from last week when the Dolphin had arrived:

I AM BACK.
    (thank you Charles)

jester, carvello, PaulS and 3 others like this.