Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

The Slap Happy Megathread

Discussion in 'Music Education - Share your knowledge here!' started by sethsbase, Aug 8, 2006.

1. MaxOnBass

MaxOnBass The Chatbox Troll

my five cents... you need your fingers and a bass that can bring out a slap sound. that's it for basics. but if you want to improve the sound, maybe turning the neck pu a bit up, turning highs a bit up, mids a bit down.. and using the dreaded compressor ;)

2. rusty

rusty Fatburger bassist

Ive seen some pretty good vids in the adult section of my video store about slappin!!

3. rusty

rusty Fatburger bassist

sorry :(

4. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Not that kind of slap rusty. I know... I thought about that too...

5. Florin

Ok, I merged some threads, so now is a real megathread. So please read it, especially what Seth said :)

And then we can continue it here

6. Florin

The best one for me so far was "Slap IT!" by Tonny Oppenheim
    It gives you a very solid foundation, and a cool database of funk grooves.

I don't think "slap" and "compressor" should be used in the same sentence... If you use them together, it often shows that you think compressors are wonder tools that will improve the technique.
    They are not...

You first need a good, and steady technique.
    First thing, learn how to slap right, learn how to pop right. If you already know, then check again your technique, by playing long notes, or scales, octaves, etc at slow tempo.

The purpose is to have nice sounding notes, and very important, equal notes. Always focus on that...
    Don't use a compressor, the compressor has nothing to do with the technique. It can make it worse, as Gawlem said to us, you might think you can piss further than you can.
    A compressor has it's role, and it is the most important effect (probably) in a basist's arsenal.
    But it should be used as a creative tool, not to correct the technique.
    A compressor will sound good almost always with gentle settings. I know, many of you will bring Tony Levin's sound into discussion, but his sound is pure enginery, believe me, and his technique is flawless...
    So again... a compressor will sound ok only with gentle settings. Those settings will not tame the peaks, or make the notes equal... Or not THAT much... If you use the compressor to correct the technique, the sound will be choked, and very weak in the mix.
    The most important thing a compressor does is this:
    Imagine the sound waves. the wave itself, has some low parts and some loud parts. What a compressor does - it cuts the loud parts of the wave (I am talking inside the wave, not loud notes and low notes) So now, the sound is lower, because the compressor reduced overall with some decibels the wave.
    The next thing, you use the MAKEUP GAIN to raise the volume again with the same number of decibels.
    What happened is that the loud parts of the wave are the same now, but the lower parts are let's say with 6 or 10 decibels louder.
    Doing that, the overall bass sound is louder now, without being really louder. So this is something that happened inside the wave, not between the loud and low notes.
    So a compressed bass will sit better in a mix.
    But a good bass sound needs to "breathe"
    That's why we have the "attack" button
    Attack - will set the time (in ms) when the compressor kicks in. If you set it to a very low (ms) value, the compressor will kick in very soon, so the first part of each note, the attack, will not be heard very well. And the articulation will not be very natural... So you need to let a little space, you know... Just enough to hear the finger picking the string :) So a medium - fast attack is generally speaking better than a really fast one.
    It means the first part of the note is always uncompressed, so it means the differences between note to note will still be there.
    This is good, because it let you accentuate the notes as you wish. But is "bad" for those with not so steady technique because it will not help.

My point is this:
    This is a topic about slap.
    The compression has nothing to do with this technique. It doesn't help. The compression has nothing to do with your personal sound either, because it will always make your sound worse. The compressor has to do only with the whole band's sound, no matter if you are playing slap or not.
    So I suggest to continue the topic, and to leave the compressor out of the discussion here :)
    We can open ( and I think we already have one) a compression topic. And that one will have nothing to do with the slap technique...
    Please try to see my point here, because it will only help.

7. Florin

It just came to my mind, and I have to say it:
    If you play alone and you think you sound better with a compressor, you are already using it in a wrong way!
    The compressor will always kill your sound :) If you already have a good sound, and technique, you will hate how you sound with a compressor.
    And you will do your best to make the compressor to be as "transparent" as possible, to minimise the damage.
    So this is a good indicator :)

Cool guys hate compressors, but they are forced to use them

8. da-vonk

da-vonk Warwick Enthusiast forevah

Wow, that's a lot of info... that means I gotta lotta reading to do ! Thanx

9. Florin

it's not just a thread, it's a MEGATHREAD!!!!

10. jdiddleymspot

jdiddleymspot

Hmm..Sethsbase said there would be a lesson on ghost notes and muting, have I missed it or is it in another thread?

Great lessons btw. Good to get back to basics. I always overdo my slap lines and they just sound naff. I'll look forward to working through these lessons.

11. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

umm,Seth doesnt really come here anymore mate.

12. Gastrok

Gastrok

13. theishing

theishing

Hi, its really a great lesson but i would also really appreciate if you could please let us know the perfect height of the action. As stated in the above, i guess a perfect height is really required for slap and pop.

14. lilpbass

lilpbass

Yeah, the height can matter. If it's too high it makes it more difficult. It's really personal preference, I like very low. To me, the lower the better.

15. theishing

theishing

Hey guys, i want to get a cheap bass guitar for bass slap and pop...basically for funk music. I have shortlisted as per my budget, 1. fender squier vintage modified jazz bass with duncan pick up and 2. ibanez sr300...please advice whic one would be a better deal.

16. Pantry

Pantry

Behold, I am bringing a thread back from the dead. Had a read through and, hard to believe, but nobody posted this:

[video=youtube;iK5IFyo0k0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK5IFyo0k0Q[/video]

If I could play like that... Getting there though.

17. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

If you can already slap why not take it a few steps further... Don't try this at home kids!

[video=youtube;4cpKqUfkbPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cpKqUfkbPY[/video]

18. CliffHNZ

CliffHNZ

Cliff Hairston
    It's great seeing the different approaches to slapping. I've had to change my technique a bit due to dequervain's tendonitis in my right wrist and seeing the different approaches and experimenting with them has gotten me comfortable slapping again. Comfortable enough that I'm finally getting the hang of double-thumbing (finally). ;)

19. shaftbass

shaftbass

Chris
    That video is great. I love watching him play and explaining it before the current terminology was commonplace.

20. The_Other_Aaron

The_Other_Aaron

I'm a generally terrible slappist, lol. I can put together a few decent slaps and pops but all the muted rhythmic stuff is what makes my brain hurt.