Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

The Slap Happy Megathread

Discussion in 'Music Education - Share your knowledge here!' started by sethsbase, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Gman

Gman

Well I was thinking that triplets are such because they're played in that 123, 123 feel across a regular beat.

Surely quadruplets would just end up sounding like sixteenths? I am I just being a theory numpty?...which is perfectly possible!!

2. +JohnnyBoy-

+JohnnyBoy-

From studybass.com:

"Having a good sound and playing in tune and in time is much more important than chops. You're not playing for yourself or for other bass players - you're playing to make a song come out." -David Hood

3. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Universe, Milky Way, Earth, North America, United
    well then don't use this in a song, just use it for fun, i mean, do you apply every technique you know in a song, this is just so people, if they don't know how to do it, they can do it

i myself use triplets and quadruplets as passing tones like lets say

G X X
    D X
    A X
    E 3 3 3 X X X 3 3

4. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

that didn't copy rite, ithe x's and the 3's moved but do you understand what i mean

5. Wings_for_Marie

Wings_for_Marie

That's a 16th as far as I know, so I believe you're right.

6. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Yes - they're called sixteenth notes.

7. Anthony

Anthony

Great Advice Seth

I know this is an old post but i was rumaging around and came across it.
    Great advice especially the part about starting out slapping by slapping the scales with just the root note and the thumb. This is what I would add for the begining slapper.
    Once you are able to run some scales comfortably and accuratly add the 8th note of the scale as a pop, this is done by muting or resting your pinky finger on the 8th note of the scale...for instance if you are playing a G scale, the 8th is just as it describes, it is the 8th note you thumb in the scale or the G note on the D string, 5th fret. The 8th note progressing with the second note A of the G scale to pop the A on the D string 7th fret. And so on. Once you are capable of doing this add a pluck of the 7th note of whatever scale you are practicing. This would go as Thumb, pop, pluck, before moving to the next Root note of the scale.
    But remember be capable of each attack method before trying to add to what you are trying to learn. With extreme prejudice on making sure the Root Note is Prominate and clear with slapping before moving on.
    Just my two cents, hope it adds something to the arsenal of someone.
    Anthony

P.S. Rusty I was checking out your myspace page and was really digging the groove you laid down on some of the tracks, espeacially Lovin Life.
    Great Vive from that! Much Love...Laterz Anthony

8. Mr Praline

Mr Praline Forum Silly Person

How much of todays "popular" music features hyper-fast slapping/double thumping?

9. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

SLAPPING

ok so, slapping can be extremely frustrating if you can't get it to the level that you want, so here are some tips to aid you in your slapping quest :D

Ok so one technique that I use quite a lot, is hitting 2 notes and hitting triplets, in rapid succession, without double thumbing

E--0-0--and--0-0-0

1st you slap the note just like you would regularly
    2nd as soon as your thumb hits the note tense up your hand, making it stiff and rigid (NHS of course) :lol:
    3rd use the momentum of bouncing of the string to help you get it going quite fast

Repeat steps 2 and 3 to achieve a triplet

Ps. this technique is some what hard when you first start, but after maybe an hour of messing with it you should get it.

Now double thumbing

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXSB0yDlS54[/ame]

this video incorporates some plucking techniques too and it is very helpful, this is how I learned all my slap techniques

For practicing slapping and popping I suggest using 1-5-9, it sounds good and you are learning

1 5 9
    G-----11--]
    D---9------]
    A-7--------]

You can also slap chords by slapping in between the string, an example is holding a 1-5 chord and slapping both of those strings you are holding the chord on

Now for plucking

for plucking you can use chord shapes, and do "trill, and gives a solid groove/ high end punch to your music.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCoHgfCVbYE&feature=related[/ame]

This video is great for learning different plucking techniques, I just figured out how to do the double pop the other day.

{do the double pluck here}
    G-----{11-11}-]
    D---9-----------]
    A-7------------]

hmm, some people will like this, :lol: this is one of ryan martine's styles where it technically is a tap, but it sort of fits in here

Ryan takes his index and middle finger and taps an octave shape

G-5 (middle finger)
    D
    A-3 (index finger)

you can also add different chord shapes, some that I though sounded good where

G-10
    D-8
    A
    D-8

G-14
    D-12 (harmonics)
    A
    E-12 (harmonics)

now chords while plucking

with this, you have to squeeze two or three of your fingers in between the strings. This is why people prefer a 4 string bass while doing slap

G-----11 this is where you do the chord pluckings
    D-----9
    A
    E-7-7

I believe that I have some more, but I have to leave now, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, I'll post some more if I can think of them in a little while

[/ame]

10. Pepper Wadman

Pepper Wadman

Good stuff bro!

11. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

thanks, if anyone has anymore comments, or suggestions, please comment

12. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

I should've elaborated more on what I want Kyle. :oops:
    I can slap/pop/mute quite well.What i need help with is creating lines/riffs/chops etc.I can slap/pop out triplets pretty fast.What's become stagnant is my ability to improvise.
    I think I need to find a teacher that's a slap happy monster coz I look up loads of instructional videos on youtube,which are great,but all I learn from them is to copy what they're playing.Maybe I need to start drinking beer aain,that always used to help. :lol:
    In the meantime,I'll work on the Wooten video.It's not easy for me coz of my right thumb that i mentioned in the PM.
    Cheers Kyle. :)

13. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Good stuff Paperbag, thanks!
    Greg, studying many slap lines will open your mind for improvisation. After all these years, I find Tony Oppenheim's "Slap It" book + CD the best slap method ever. Many many licks, very fun to play. Just learn one lick/day, they are pretty easy, but they will build a nice slap vocabulary to you :)

14. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

ok well, I can post a topic here on writing basslines, but not right now, but heres a sample. Basically, when I improvise I don't know what exactly it is that I am doing. I basically see shapes. that I know sound good together.

For example

1 2 + 4 E + A
    G-7-----------------10h12-]
    D-8---------10h12---------]
    A---------------------------]
    E-----X--X-----------------]

now to me, i know that the chord in the beginning is going to sound dissonant and somewhat dark. After a dark sounding chord (well in this case) i used a just a steady quarter note for the first pop, but move the second pop to the and of three to add suspense. The last 4 notes sort of make the groove sound complete.

15. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Yeah I meantioned that via PM to Paperbag.That's my next purchase.
    I'm a self taught slapper & have the techniques down.I just lack the improvisational skills.I get on youtube & watch slap instructionals & can duplicate them in a reasonable amount of time.
    Kyle,the diagrams leave me clueless.Could you plaease expalin what the number & symbols mean please?

16. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

well they were the counts of the beats, but the forum automatically moves everything, so it didn't really work. I can elaborate a little more on shapes of music, if you want.

17. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

if anyone has any slapping techniques please post them here

18. Callum

Callum

That slap it book pretty much taught me to slap, its a really worthwhile purchase.

I got a little harmonic/slap lick with double pops that i'll tab out if anyone wants it.

I tend to play a lot of pops and double pops so for anyone whos interested:

Double pops:

T I M - finger T = thumb I = index M = Middle
    G----------7-----
    D--------7-------
    A---5------------
    E-----------------
    T P P - T = thumb/slap P = Pop

the idea is to slap with the thumb then pop the D string with your index finger and the G with your middle in quick succession you can do triplets or just pop chords, its best to work out your own flow.

I'll post the tab of that lick later once i tabbed it all out.

19. da-vonk

da-vonk Warwick Enthusiast forevah

slapping beauty

Hi guys,

Any practicing tips for slapping ?
    Besides the usual vids like Alex Sklarevski and Louis Johnson, I can hardly find any good instruction about slapping....

Groetjes, da-vonk:roll:

20. jester

jester ocdemon Moderator

Yanni
    Ok, so here goes, a forum member asked in the chatbox if they needed a compressor because they were starting to slap and thought it was a requirement. What do you think, is it a neccessity for slap or should proper technique come first? Taking the opportunity, and since I am starting to slap myself (yay! it's so much fun) I am starting a thread about slapping in general in the theory and techniques section, so that we all can share input about this popular issue. Personally i think its so easy for slapping to degrade into meaningless w*nkery, so may this thread get filled with slap-with-essence stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009