Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

The Slap Happy Megathread

Discussion in 'Music Education - Share your knowledge here!' started by sethsbase, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Slap happy, hihihi :) That's a nice way to call me a wanker... that's ok, I know I am :)

I don't have Ideas, I steal ideas. Abraham Laboriel 's tutorials are great for really fast clean licks.

Yesterday, our member Anghel, explained on my forum xbass.ro how slap works. I quote him:

1---------2---------3---------4
    slap pop slap pop
    C c C c
    :shock: :eek: :shock: :eek:

2. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Universe, Milky Way, Earth, North America, United
    hmm

Sixlet

G----X---X-X
    D----X------X
    A----X------X
    E-X-X-X----X-X
    R L R R L R hand

7let

G----X---X-X---X
    D----X------X
    A----X------X
    E-X-X-X----X-X

8let

G----X---X-X---X
    D----X------X
    A----X------X
    E-X-X-X----X-X---X

haha, steal that flo, :lol: :lol:

3. Lex

Lex Warwick Endorser

HAHAHAHHAAH!

4. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Play eight notes in a row....then it will be an octuplet.

:roll:

5. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

6. Callum

Callum

some crazy idea...

G -----------------------x-----
    D ---------------------x-------
    A -------------------x---------
    E x---x---x---x-----------x---
    L T L T P P P T
    1 2 3

L= left hand slap
    T = thumb
    P = pop
    1,2,3 = finger index = 1 ect

could maybe replace the left hand slap with a double thumb or a thumb pop maybe.

Could get really crazy but having the pops harmonics....something for you to go crazy with paperbag, enjoy.

7. Callum

Callum

OOO damn i just remember something!

Paper bag.....you heard florins xbass solo? if not search the forum then see the thread i made asking about it and work that out! will help with all these silly tuplet things.

Also look up some drum rudiments or drum rolls apply the left and right stick to your hands and go nuts.

8. IncX

IncX

trust me paperbag, there are a lot of bass players like you... and you could have done a better job "sharing" your technique cause frankly i believe it is something most if not everyone in this forum already know.

please read florin's post regarding slap because he did a great job explaining the wrist pivot movement ... and he also has some real proof of his abilities - that is very much worthy of respect and admiration.

as for you ... goodluck on your bass playing. i hope you realize being the best in your school or your town doesnt really translate to you being as good as you think.

9. Wings_for_Marie

Wings_for_Marie

Are you contributing anything positive to the boards? No? Then don't say anything at all.

10. IncX

IncX

on occasion, yes.

i did the above post in a rather bad mood, and i wasnt as understanding as i should have been.

anyway, i wont edit it, because eventhough i said it in a combative manner, i do believe and stand for those things i have said.

honestly, i do not know why you were offended though, wings for marie... i would have understood if paperbag found it offensive.

11. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

Ok, well i have already apologized for this in a different thread and i think its uhmm, i don't know the word :? :?

12. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

and yes thanks Wings-For-Marie for defending me, and i posted some of my work so don't say that i have nothing to back it up, because u'r calling me a shitty bass player, and you have no idea what you are talking about because you have never heard me play, i was just posting some techniques in case some one didn't know them, because if they didn't they would be able to learn it, and for some reason, u'r opposed to that

13. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Nobody is calling you a ♣♣♣♣ty bass player, paperbag :)

I am sure that with your dedication, you will be a great bass player. You are still learning now, and it is ok when you show us new thing you've learned.
    But besides that, you said also that you are very good, that you study jazz for 3 years and you can play anything, that Jayen's technique is easy... You know... all of that.

So you get answers for all your statements together.... And people have a bad attitude for you because you had a bad attitude... You can see this forum as a mirror of your behaviour.

So... it is not that you are ♣♣♣♣ty player, but you are definetly not as good as you claim to be. Yet.
    But with your dedication, and your strong believe in yourself, you will be.
    Please don't let our comments to shake your self esteem that would be bad... You are like a race car now... we all now you will cross the finish line, but you just started the race :)

And chill man :)

14. thndrstk6

thndrstk6 Mockup Artist

+1

Someone made the metaphor that you were a tease like a girl with big boobs in you other thread. Well we can see now that you stuff your bra. If you just would have been like "yeah I'm working on my technique and I'm still learning a lot", then it would have been different. But you came into the forum like you could blow anyone away. People were suggesting Jaco and many other song's to you on your "I need a challenge" thread. Instead of saying "sure I'll try that" or "thats to hard for me" you were like "Thats easy", "I can do that, I've studied jazz for 4 years". You gave us this impression that you were some sort of bass god so when we finally heard you play its was less than what was expected. It wasn't bad by any means. You just built yourself up to much thats all.

I live by the idea that you should be modest knowing you carry weight. It's all about integrity.

15. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

ok sorry i read the last post where i reacted wrong, and i didn't mean to come off that way, i try not to, but it just sorta happens, i don't know why, no matter how hard i try not to come off cocky, i just do, im trying to work on it, and i understand that i have a lot more that i can and need to learn, so this is a formal apology for coming off as cocky or arrogant, i really don't try or mean too

i've had people say this to me before and as soon as i hear it im like, i've gone and done it again

and most of those songs are hard for me, i was just trying to impress people here, but now i see that i sorta shot myself in the foot, and i know now that i don't have to try and impress people here, or at least without backing it up whatsoever

sorry for the rant, but i do apologize

16. thndrstk6

thndrstk6 Mockup Artist

I just heard your new tracks. They are a lot better.

It's really cliché but the saying "actions speak louder than words" applies well here.

Just think about a fisherman talking about the huge fish he caught then you see it and your like "W.T.F." that thing isn't that big. The fish may be a decent size but it looks small in the eyes of someone who is expecting a whale.

To be honest though the tracks aren't bad at all. I like then one with the drum loop on it the most.

17. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

haha, thanks, that was just something i improvised because someone in the thread where i put all the clips suggested the drum track, i like that one a lot, i'll try and add another one tom.

18. thndrstk6

thndrstk6 Mockup Artist

P.S. paperbag1213,
    Ryan Martinie was one of the reasons I got so heavily into bass. I'm not into Mudvayne but he is a monster. I'm in a completely different place now then I was when I use to listen to them but I can still say that he is one of my favorite bassists when it comes to sound control and technique.

19. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

+347927243094802348230

I never really listened to mudvayne until this last year, but when i heard them i was like wtf is that in the background, OMG thats a bass, and now i can aspire to have that precision, and music knowledge that he has, im learning dull boy right now, its fun, im not used to slapping triplets with one thumb though, its taking me awhile to figure out how to do that

20. paperbag1213

paperbag1213

what do you mean by sound control??