Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

The Loss Of Humanity In Modern Music

Discussion in 'Maddrakkett's Caffe' started by Nachobassman, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

I, as music fan and part-time working musician, consider that today's music sound very "plastic", "mass produced", compared with the music I grew up with. To be honest I can't stand any record of any new rock band out there. They all sound the same to me, and I'm not talking about genre or fashions, I'm talking about everything sounds over-produced, too much perfect to my ears.

I was talking about this the other day with my brother and this article is a great starting point for a (in my opinion) very interesting matter of discussion.

Brian Eno Explains the Loss of Humanity in Modern Music | Open Culture

What do you think?

2. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

I think Eno is absolutely spot on.

Two problems:

1. Mixes are turned into flat-as-a-pancake loudness crap by mastering engineers because the big labels demand this.
    2. Producers that scored a hit or two will keep copying their previous productions sound thinking it is all about money and fame.

BUT:

There still is a LOT of music out there that does not sound like the mainstream pulp at all. You just don't get to hear that music much.

Bassist4Eris, Hoggles and Hardy like this.
  3. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

I think it's important to remember...that music is and will always be, evolving. The same way someone who is 30 years younger than I am, loves modern pop music and can't stand "old" stuff.....I, like Brian Eno, feel the soul is being lost and everything is overly produced.

In conversations like this, I always remember my age. Mid 40's. I'm at a point in my life where a lot of things seem like they've gotten worse. Whether it's traffic, a simple trip to market...or music. I try to always remember that part of what I'm feeling, is simply nostalgia for times of old. That someone who is 20-30 years younger than I am, feels different (and should) about nearly everything.

A big part of it is just human nature. As Marco said, there's still a ton of music being made the old fashioned way....you just have to search for it a little harder than 10, 15, 20 years ago. I guess the good thing is, there is more types of music, for every taste, than ever before.

StreamerII84 likes this.
  4. Hardy

Hardy Good Vibe Sponsor

Weekly procedure: on Sunday I take a bath and listen to new albums. I have an Amazon Prime accout, means I get them all. Perfectly produced. Well played. Result of hard work. For free. It all doesn’t count anymore because music has no worth nowadays. That is the main problem to me. And right: the youth loves bumm bumm bumm! No more interest in handmade music. Gladly we still find some folks to listen to us. But damn - I am now old fashioned??? Noooooo!!!

Hoggles likes this.
  5. Hector

Hector Moderator Staff Member

It all comes down to money.

The record companies want a "sure thing". So they take no risks and repeat the same thing that worked in the past (Hollywood is the same with films these days).

Oh, and you can only have good looking singers today (exception being Ed Sheeran, but he pretty much did it himself)

You can see it in action here:

And also this:

6. ectoflanger

ectoflanger Supporting Member

Agreed, but I would add that this sad phenomenon is not limited to music but includes other media such as books and film.

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    We've been cycling back and forth with this since at least the 70s, when bands like Boston, Steely Dan, and Supertramp were spending lots of time and money in studios, doing take after take and fix after fix, until the records were nearly perfect. Then punk came along and overthrew that. Then the 80s came and it was all quantized drum machines: Pet Shop Boys and Madonna and other sterilized crap. Then came grunge, and the pendulum swung back the other way again. In the 90s Garbage used to talk in interviews about how perfectionist they were in the studio, and who could forget (as much as we might want to) Natalie Imbruglia's soulless cover of Ednaswap's "Torn". Then in the early aughts we got another palette cleansing with The White Stripes and The Strokes. And on it goes. It's true that newer tech (such as autotune) gives us newer ways to squeeze the life out of productions, but that tendency has been along for a long time.

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris

Steve Gregory
    Here is a great counterpoint to the "Why Modern Music Is So Bad" video posted above. This guy is one of my favorite YouTubers, in part because he's such an a-hole.

PaulS likes this.
  9. ectoflanger

So with regard to my former comments I believe this clip from the 1954 BBC presentation of Orwell’s 1984 bears watching- particularly at about the 48 minute mark where they mention proto algorithms for manufacturing music and literature. In a sense I believe that’s where we are now-

10. Foal30

Foal30 Supporting Member

I heard a Rawk song the other day which I assume is new or modern

The band are called Foals (no shit) it was a cool tune.

11. Alexander Paramonov

Alexander Paramonov

12. ectoflanger

Dam-