The Buzzard Brothers...

Reaction score
Real Name
John Beck
Welcome brother @CeeJ, and congratulations again! She is a beauty! I know exactly that feeling you describe! If ever you think that feeling has faded, just play another bass for a while. The next time you pick up the Buzzard, it all comes back. :D

Last edited:

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Thanks! I read and learned A LOT here about this particular instrument aside from standard woods from the original.
I ordered a Custom Shop Dolphin in 2007 using the original Zebrano/Wenge wood choices because the visual and tone is definitely excellent.

The flightcase is arriving from Germany Monday. The gig bag is the original so I can’t take credit for that but it’s in like new condition like the bass so that is nice.

Waking up today, I am still in awe...

wow - congratulations and enjoy that feeling as long as it lasts. You even have a gig bag and figured out the stand problem

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Thanks for making that. I actually saw it a couple nights ago on YT and it was cool to hear that B string and see it being played. Cellar DEEP!

Congrats again on your Bird! _\^^/

Thanks to the long weekend, I created my first bass video. If you are interested in how the Buzzard 5 NT CS sounds, please check out the video on YT and let me know what you think. This was recorded directly into the interface with almost no processing in order to demonstrate the pure bass sound.

Reaction score
Real Name
Jens
Thanks for making that. I actually saw it a couple nights ago on YT and it was cool to hear that B string and see it being played. Cellar DEEP!

Congrats again on your Bird! _\^^/
Thanks CeeJ, that was my first time playing it for more than a minute. It definitely has a mighty sound incl. B string. Now I understand what that piano string sound is. For real music, it might need some effects, especially some tube amp distortion. And it has a lot of dynamic range. Given my uneven right hand skills, this means I would also need to add some compression.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Thanks CeeJ, that was my first time playing it for more than a minute. It definitely has a mighty sound incl. B string. Now I understand what that piano string sound is. For real music, it might need some effects, especially some tube amp distortion. And it has a lot of dynamic range. Given my uneven right hand skills, this means I would also need to add some compression.

The Buzzard and also the Stryker show searingly honest what the player does. I sold my first Stryker because I was not ready for this. These basses demand some additional attention.

Reaction score
Real Name
Jens
look what I found on eBay: a pocket Buzzard :)

8F7EB521-56E9-4063-8AD5-AF2800A16344.png

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
This is clearly parallel evolution... Warburton Music... this is like waking up in an alternate delusional dimension.

Speaking of alternate dimensions...
What’s up with the Russian Federation Buzzard on Reverb?
Warwick Buzzard Limited Edition 1990 Natural | ProAudioFromMoscow | Reverb

Someone mentioned this before and I would love to hear whatever you might know about the history on it?

In other news... I sent my 90’ Buzzard to Mike Lull’s (RIP) Luthiers for a spa day... she’s getting a full set up and PLEK’d.
Her neck is also being profile matched for shaving down / re-shapzing the neck of my 2007 Dolphin from @warwickhunt from a chunky D profile to the Buzzard.

Looking forward to having these home soon!

Lastly, @Hardy did you get the 8 string Buzzard yet?????
I can’t wait to see her!!!

-Ceej

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
This is clearly parallel evolution... Warburton Music... this is like waking up in an alternate delusional dimension.

Speaking of alternate dimensions...
What’s up with the Russian Federation Buzzard on Reverb?
Warwick Buzzard Limited Edition 1990 Natural | ProAudioFromMoscow | Reverb

Someone mentioned this before and I would love to hear whatever you might know about the history on it?

In other news... I sent my 90’ Buzzard to Mike Lull’s (RIP) Luthiers for a spa day... she’s getting a full set up and PLEK’d.
Her neck is also being profile matched for shaving down / re-shapzing the neck of my 2007 Dolphin from @warwickhunt from a chunky D profile to the Buzzard.

Looking forward to having these home soon!

Lastly, @Hardy did you get the 8 string Buzzard yet?????
I can’t wait to see her!!!

-Ceej
The 8 string is in evolution, check the thread!

The Russian Buzzard was up for sale in a local forum for much less. Around 2k afair.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The 8 string is in evolution, check the thread!

The Russian Buzzard was up for sale in a local forum for much less. Around 2k afair. Try a low ball offer!

Reaction score
Real Name
John Beck
My first exposure to a Buzzard was in 1987 when I worked for Guitar Center in Chicago. I had set up several synthesizer rigs for a show called the NAMM JAM at the Vic Theatre, and had to make a repair to a keyboard backstage. I needed to check my repairs, so I went to the warm up room to plug into an amp, and there was John Entwistle, playing one! Of course I was struck by seeing JE, but what really shook me was his bass; a gorgeous Zebrano Buzzard. I thought to myself, “That thing must’ve been made just for me! I must have one!" It is truly one of my most prized possessions.

Cheers!

View attachment 20389
Correction: It was actually 1986! Just found this link The Who This Month! 1986

5DE4356A-2979-4521-A137-A59B5B6C05A7.jpeg

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Ok, wanna see something strange? In a FB group the owner of a Buzzard posted some pics and gave some information. Seemingly in 1988 Warwick made a Buzzard with an upper horn from the Corvette shape. Even though lots of details look odd the bass COULD be legit. The serial number is ok (C 66 88), also Warwick worked together with Mario Carlo Cipollina (Huey Lewis & the News) in that time. HPW can’t remember the bass but doesn’t spot a copy work. So, it‘s more probable a real Wick! 🤷🏻‍♂️
9D54037B-A63D-40DC-9C1B-76CA295C00C4.jpeg
2DBC62BF-037B-48E6-BEFE-00428E11B86B.jpeg
D1319DC4-509E-48E2-B2B0-265FFB731716.jpeg

Reaction score
Real Name
John Beck
Crazy! Newer headstock, no “grip” lower horn, and EMGs.

Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
Ok, wanna see something strange? In a FB group the owner of a Buzzard posted some pics and gave some information. Seemingly in 1988 Warwick made a Buzzard with an upper horn from the Corvette shape. Even though lots of details look odd the bass COULD be legit. The serial number is ok (C 66 88), also Warwick worked together with Mario Carlo Cipollina (Huey Lewis & the News) in that time. HPW can’t remember the bass but doesn’t spot a copy work. So, it‘s more probable a real Wick! 🤷🏻‍♂️
View attachment 23623 View attachment 23624 View attachment 23625
What is strange is the clip for the trussrod; this came a bit later ....
The EMGs seem to be newer ones

Top Bottom