The Bubinga Corvette NT $$=The Ultimate Warwick?

Reaction score
I just had this thought the other day, so bare with me through my explanation...

As far as I know, the first full body warwicks were the thumb and the streamer. The thumb having bubinga and wenge neck, and the streamer with a cherry body (now maple) and a maple neck, both with wenge boards. With the $$, you have the ability to simulate different pickups, j's, p's, humbuckers, and possible other crazy tones not available with normal pickups on the streamer or the thumb. Also, the corvette kinda combines our favorite tone woods from each bass, a bubinga body, and a maple neck, with our favorite wenge board :D. So combined with the $$ pickup system, you can get tones that come close to each bass, but still having the over all warwick tone.

Or maybe i'm really crazy and have too much time on my hands to think this shit up... :lol:

Reaction score
I don't think there is ONE ultimate warwicks.

I think all Warwicks are the Ultimate warwicks. In the sense that each wick had been put as much effort as the other in his conception.

Reaction score
flipper_gv said:

I think all Warwicks are the Ultimate warwicks. In the sense that each wick had been put as much effort as the other in his conception.
I couldn't disagree, i still have really bad gas for a streamer, even if i did have a $$. But i'm just saying, in overall tone coverage...

Reaction score
Andrew O said:
flipper_gv said:

I couldn't disagree, i still have really bad gas for a streamer, even if i did have a $$. But i'm just saying, in overall tone coverage...

oh since you mean tone coverage, yeah, I think it's the one that really can cover most of warwick models tone.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I don't believe in basses that cover multiple basses. If you want to fool yourself go ahead, but the smart thing is to buy the bass for its personal voice. The corvette double buck NT vill sound like a corvette double buck NT.
It's easy for a guy like me to give bullshit to a guy like you, but I'd rather try to give good advices, even if they don't sound that good to a guy that thinks he found the holy grail of basses.
The holy grail of basses for you is the bass that feels best in your hands. You know why? Each one of us has a sound in his head, even if sometimes we don't know it.
Our hands will try to get the same sound with every bass... It is something reflex... So if a bass feels much more confortable in your hands than others, this could be because the bass already sounds as you like, so your hands will play it effortless.
Cheers :)

Reaction score
I agree with Florin.
Moreover, but it is just my opinion, I don't like pickups placement on $$ basses

Reaction score
I get what you're saying and I probably agree more than most. But while the coil-tapping feature makes the $$ a hugely versitile bass for tones, the parallel or series humbucking and single-coil modes give the passive humbuckers different 'voices', they aren't really mimicking ACTIVE Jazz or Precision pickups (like an SSI or Thumb have).

I know you've been soul searching about the Bubinga $$ NT for awhile, maybe it just needs to be the ultimate Warwick for you...

Reaction score
I totally agree with the "no one size fits all bass" thing, it was just a thought that occurred to me. Maybe a better way to put it is the bridge between old and new? I know it can't nail p and j tones, but i used the word simulate for a reason ;). i remember madrakket saying he got a cool zender tone, and most people say they can get a growly bridge pickup sound. i'm trying to figure out exactly where i'm going with this... :lol: maybe, the best way to put it is, its good for someone who wants to cover alot of ground, or really likes humbuckers...

Reaction score
I think this is kinda throwing chewing gum at a wall... it might stick... it might not... but at least you'll try.

Worst case scenario go to the closest GC and order the $$ NT and try it. they have a 30 day guarantee to give you the money back so... try it at the store and also at home for 1-2 days and then if this is not the one return it. You have lost nothing mate.

take care and good luck with the hunt for your perfect bass.

Reaction score
I totally agree with Florin. Each bass has its own particular sound and even though the $$ pick ups are very versatile you can't hope to cover all the warwick 'sounds'. I own a Fender Victor Bailey Jazz Bass which is more expensive than my streamer (at least in Europe) and yet I prefer the streamer because of the sound and the feel...

Reaction score
guy2506 said:
I totally agree with Florin. Each bass has its own particular sound and even though the $$ pick ups are very versatile you can't hope to cover all the warwick 'sounds'. I own a Fender Victor Bailey Jazz Bass which is more expensive than my streamer (at least in Europe) and yet I prefer the streamer because of the sound and the feel...

Yours is the best Fender I've ever played.Best looking Fender too.

Reaction score
I almost bought the victor bailey jazz bass when looking at my warwick :-\. glad i didn't!

Reaction score
A $$ will never be able to simulate a thumb or a SSI, even with similar woods and with a NT. They both have a unusual pickup configs and specifically chosen woods. Golem will maybe chip in by mentioning the more generic tones of a $$, and to some extent he is right compared to the more specific tones of the other warwicks the $$ just sits there between them all. It has a warwick tone but not one thats truly identifiable imo (but this isn't a bad thing!).

A $$ will cover more ground in terms of subtleties, due to being able to effectively change the pickup config.

I did see some pickups a while ago but the name escapes me, they had a single jazz coil and built a humbucker around it, so in single coil mode it has a true jazz bass single coil sound. The make was de...something. A pair of those in a $$ would make it truly the most versatile bass ever imo.

But a $$ NT may be the ultimate warwick bass for you, everyone is different. I for example found the ultimate Warwick in my thumb BO :)

Reaction score
the $$ NT is one hell of a bass.
It is VERY VERY versatile, but it's just impossible to think having one with Bubinga-wings will give it the sound of a thumb bass.
If you want a bass that sounds like a thumb, buy one.
Besides the mentioned fact with the PUs (they just CAN'T sound like j-pu's for example) - every wood has its own tonal characteristics - but mixing different woods won't just add them together.
The attributes will mix together and you can feel different "flavors", but it's not as simply as adding them up.

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
Andrew O said:
I just had this thought the other day, so bare with
me through my explanation...

As far as I know, the first full body warwicks were the thumb and the
streamer. The thumb having bubinga and wenge neck, and the streamer
with a cherry body (now maple) and a maple neck, both with wenge
boards. With the $$, you have the ability to simulate different pickups,
j's, p's, humbuckers, and possible other crazy tones not available with
normal pickups on the streamer or the thumb. Also, the corvette kinda
combines our favorite tone woods from each bass, a bubinga body, and
a maple neck, with our favorite wenge board :D. So combined with the
$$ pickup system, you can get tones that come close to each bass, but
still having the over all warwick tone.

Or maybe i'm really crazy and have too much time on my hands to
think this sh*t up... :lol:
`

I think it's a very rational, practical thought, assuming you prefer NT.

Since I prefer BO the Vett $$BO already hits me as a near-perfick ax.
BTW, my money IS where my mouth is ... having both FL and fretted
Vett $$BO. I also happen to love swamp ash. To me, swamp ash and
mahogany are the ultimate body woods, and I happen to prefer a flat
[non-contour] body as well .... lacking any gut to park the contour on.

If you prefer a contour body, isn't there a Streamer $$ ? I guess that
would be the ultimate for those who want a contour body.

But as far as the magic of the $$ config, I agree that it can cover all
the basses. A 3 band EQ would be a cool upgrade, but usually you
can get the same result from your amp, so the 2 band is OK. Just OK.
I mean, my $$ EBMM has a 4-band EQ and it's the wizz, EQ-wise.
It's also 18V and almost totally noisless. Warwick, take a hint !!!

`

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
trujo777 said:
........ Worst case scenario go to the closest GC and order the
$$ NT and try it. they have a 30 day guarantee to give you the
money back so... try it at the store and also at home for 1-2
days and then if this is not the one return it. .......
`

No ! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,
no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,
no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,
no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, .... NO !!

Absolutely do NOT go to the CLOSEST GC.

Go to the GC near ME. So if you don't keep it, it will wind up with
a clearance price on it at MY local GC. Thaz how I got my $$ FL :)

BTW, we want the $$ NT in ebony FL, OK ?

`

Reaction score
golem said:
and I happen to prefer a flat
[non-contour] body as well .... lacking any gut to park the contour on.

Excellent way of describing the pros of a slab-bodied bass

As for the Bubinga NT vette being the ultimate 'Wick emulator, I think the pickups and their positioning make too much of a difference. The Thumb bridge p/u angle is surely integral to the sound of the bass.

Reaction score
Callum said:
I did see some pickups a while ago but the name escapes me, they had a single jazz coil and built a humbucker around it, so in single coil mode it has a true jazz bass single coil sound. The make was de...something. A pair of those in a $$ would make it truly the most versatile bass ever imo.

Delano?

golem

Philosopher King
Reaction score
flipper_gv said:
Callum said:

Delano?
`

IIRC, that is the ONLY one like that on the market.

`

Top Bottom