=The Alien Club=

Reaction score
Lonely as it may be....can't leave out the Alien.

Reaction score
Hey, congrats with your singles club. :wink:

How does that Alien sound, really?

Reaction score
Charmand G said:

And the other clubs are swingers then or what?

Nice alien Naetog!

Reaction score
Charmand G said:

I have flats on it now for a more subdued tone. With "regular" strings (i use DR Sunbeams) it's definitely brighter, but plugged in, I like the thumpy, super bassy tone I can get.

I can still play with my buddies without an amp, but at band practice I plug it in and it almost sounds like an upright (given the proper EQ).

Reaction score
Hi Naetog

is yours one of the Korean Aliens? Have you ever had a chance to compare it to the old solid top ones? Curious to get an informed opinion of the differences..

Reaction score
those older ones are harder to find than (insert rare thing here). And from what I've heard, when one comes up for sale they cost somewhere around $5000 since they are so rare. I recall only about 100 were made in the first production run.

Since I've never seen one of the old ones other than a scarce photo or two online somewhere, I tend to consider them as extinct as the unicorn.

Maybe there's one hanging around the headquarters in Germany??

Regardless, the newer ones are definitely some of the best ABG's you can find. Loud enough to keep up, and enough bass to make it count.

Reaction score
Thanks Naetog, for your post here and on my other thread about Aliens, that's really helpful. I've been holding back to buy a solid top Alien second hand, but you're right, looking at the number made I could be holding my breath for a very long time..

The Tacoma Thunderchief was my second choice, so again your opinion there is invaluable. I hadn't even considered the Victor Bailey - sure it's a wonderful bass but something about it aesthetically engages my gag reflex. Difficult trying to mike up an acoustic bass above the sound of dry retching, any tips on correct positioning welcome ;>

Anyway, I'm sold - gonna try to find a seller, then join you on the Alien club later..

Reaction score
Well, thanks to a lead from Astar (cheers mate, got it by escrow from a lovely guy in Austria) I'm now the proud owner of an Alien too. It is a beautiful thing, had half an hour on it before getting dragged away for mixing, gagging to get back. Thanks for everyone's help and advice on the forum.

Now dipping into the giddy depths of string alternatives, just wondering Naetog what flats you use, or if anyone else has an opinion on nice ABG strings? I anticipate restringing quite a bit as I like a bright sound but will also be needing as close to an upright sound as possible for certain projects..

Reaction score
I've actually been using the same D'Addario flats that I got with the bass. They were quite dead when I got it, but they are sweet because there's no treble twang. Sounds really woody.

One of these days I'm going to put some rounds on it, but for now I couldn't be happier.

Welcome to the club, or, um, duo... 8)

Reaction score
yeah, where's our sticky?? And what about the Fortress Club sticky??

no love... :cry:

Reaction score
I reckon if we can get more than 2 members they'll have to make us sticky!

umm..

Reaction score
Start making fake profiles and put random googled pictures of aliens up, just to have more members :p

Top Bottom