=The Alien Club=

Reaction score
Best acoustic iv ever played.

Blacked out hardware with rosewood tuner pegs, black silk wraped strings. Also removed the sticker from inside the hole.

Filed down the bridge so it has a really nice low action.

Looks slick.

Written heaps of cool riffs and ideas on this.

20190216_205312_resized.jpg
20190216_205612_resized.jpg

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
Best acoustic iv ever played.

Blacked out hardware with rosewood tuner pegs, black silk wraped strings. Also removed the sticker from inside the hole.

Filed down the bridge so it has a really nice low action.

Looks slick.

Written heaps of cool riffs and ideas on this.
Looks nice :)
Today I just saw another german made acoustic bass from Michael Wichmann '86, which was maybe an inspiration for the bridge of the Alien. What do you guys think about it?
Alienfather-MichaelWichman.JPG

Reaction score
Has anyone else changed the hardware on their alien? I see above someone swapped to black.
Im thinking of golf with wenge or rosewood tuners. Not sure if I want the tuners to match the fingerboard or the bridge area and wood surrounding the hole.

Reaction score
Has anyone else changed the hardware on their alien? I see above someone swapped to black.
Im thinking of golf with wenge or rosewood tuners. Not sure if I want the tuners to match the fingerboard or the bridge area and wood surrounding the hole.

Do it!, I like mine so much better with the black hardware and rosewood tuners. To me it makes the bass look a lot more expensive than the chrome.

I cant stand chrome hardware though, so just my personal preference.

Reaction score
Do it!, I like mine so much better with the black hardware and rosewood tuners. To me it makes the bass look a lot more expensive than the chrome.

I cant stand chrome hardware though, so just my personal preference.
Ya I am thinking about it!
Do you know the best / cheapest place to source hardware?

eyvindwa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What strings do you guys use on your Aliens? I've had the stock strings on since I got my Deluxe Fretless 5 a few years back; thinking I should try something a bit different now.

Reaction score
What strings do you guys use on your Aliens? I've had the stock strings on since I got my Deluxe Fretless 5 a few years back; thinking I should try something a bit different now.

I use these on mine, I will never go back to phosphor bronze, Too hard on the fingers especially on a Low B string. These are coated so feel super smooth. sound amazing and worth every cent.

La Bella Strings

I have also tried some black nylon wrapped strings but they sounded way too dull and they did not intonate. I did like the thumpy sound but if ithey cant tune its a deal breaker. The La Bellas are great and will last forever.

Reaction score
Ya I am thinking about it!
Do you know the best / cheapest place to source hardware?

I just go to my local Warick dealer when I need bits like this. In this case I upgraded my Warwick stage one to Hipshot ultralites and used the old tuners on my Alien. I did not like the wooden tuners on my stage one but love them on my Alien.

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Time to add me to the Alien Club! #35 of 101.
I was recently blessed with the miracle opportunity to buy a BRAND NEW OLD Stock Alien.

https://reverb.com/item/28623914-rare-1993-warwick-alien-acoustic-bass-by-lakewood-germany-all-solid-woods-nos-mint?show_sold=true
The top is perfect - something weird in the picture/lighting makes this image look kind of wonky - but it's not!
Also the frets and board seem a pinch dingy in the pics but they are not in person either... The strings have darkened in color a little bit
and have a really cool deepness to them that I have not heard in other strings.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 12.36.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 12.37.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 12.38.14 AM.png

SO.... NOW, I am looking for one of the Original Vintage Warwick Flight Cases and any Original Warwick Phosphor Bronze String Sets... if anyone has a source please let me know!

And lastly, this is big to me, if anyone knows how I can also locate who has my Dolphin Pro 1 5 String that I sold to Maddrakett before he passed away Times were hard and he was such a great person - I knew it would help make him feel better to have it and it meant a lot to me that it went to someone special. He was a great guy and I really enjoyed our calls... RIP!

Thanks!
CeeJ

Hoggles

Supporting Member
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Wow! What a beauty! Congrats!!

Gotta be the oldest NOS Wick I've ever seen.

*As for the case....I would message Hans Peter and see if by some amazing chance, he has one of the jumbo Orangies sitting in a storage room somewhere. Worth a shot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Real Name
John Beck
I was recently blessed with the miracle opportunity to buy a BRAND NEW OLD Stock Alien.

https://reverb.com/item/28623914-rare-1993-warwick-alien-acoustic-bass-by-lakewood-germany-all-solid-woods-nos-mint?show_sold=true
The top is perfect - something weird in the picture/lighting makes this image look kind of wonky - but it's not!
Also the frets and board seem a pinch dingy in the pics but they are not in person either... The strings have darkened in color a little bit

View attachment 20725
View attachment 20726
View attachment 20727
SO.... NOW, I am looking for one of the Original Vintage Warwick Flight Cases and any Original Warwick Phosphor Bronze String Sets... if anyone has a source please let me know!

And lastly, this is big to me, if anyone knows how I can also locate who has my Dolphin Pro 1 5 String that I sold to Maddrakett before he passed away Times were hard and he was such a great person - I knew it would help make him feel better to have it and it meant a lot to me that it went to someone special. He was a great guy and I really enjoyed our calls... RIP!

Thanks!
CeeJ

Very nice!

Reaction score

View attachment 20725
View attachment 20726
View attachment 20727

Thanks!
CeeJ

Wow!! Amazing... thats alot of money but what a special bass.

Reaction score
So finally cleaned up my Vietnam made Alien last night. Cleaned the brass frets, oiled the fretboard, and swapped out the bronze roundwound strings for some Black Diamond Jazz flatwound. Pretty happy so far. Conditioning the bridge gave that rosewood new life....it was SO dry and now looks 100x better. I need to get some rosewood tuners to match.

Unfortunately, my input jack is all messed up. I have to angle the cord just right for it to pick up. Assuming I need a new input jack...not sure if that is something i can DIY?
Also...maybe its just me but E string does sound as loud as the rest. There is also a wire that hits around in the body....not sure if that is normal or not.

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I about fainted when I saw it!

Wow! What a beauty! Congrats!!

Gotta be the oldest NOS Wick I've ever seen.

*As for the case....I would message Hans Peter and see if by some amazing chance, he has one of the jumbo Orangies sitting in a storage room somewhere. Worth a shot.

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
So finally cleaned up my Vietnam made Alien last night. Cleaned the brass frets, oiled the fretboard, and swapped out the bronze roundwound strings for some Black Diamond Jazz flatwound. Pretty happy so far. Conditioning the bridge gave that rosewood new life....it was SO dry and now looks 100x better. I need to get some rosewood tuners to match.

Unfortunately, my input jack is all messed up. I have to angle the cord just right for it to pick up. Assuming I need a new input jack...not sure if that is something i can DIY?
Also...maybe its just me but E string does sound as loud as the rest. There is also a wire that hits around in the body....not sure if that is normal or not.

Did you use the Warwick Beeswax for the bridge? Also.... curious, what/where does the battery compartment look like on that one? Inside the sound hole?

CeeJ

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Did you use the Warwick Beeswax for the bridge? Also.... curious, what/where does the battery compartment look like on that one? Inside the sound hole?

View attachment 20725
View attachment 20726
View attachment 20727

Thanks!
CeeJ

Did some of the 101's get made with different bridge woods? I've seen some that appear to be VERY DARK to Black in color - Ebony or Wenge or??

Reaction score

No. I used F-one oil. It worked great, my rosewood bridge was a very light dry color, I added the F-one and it's not dark and rich looking, like the wood surrounding the airhole.

I can't recall if it did the same issue when I had my bronze strings on.... Though my input jack is giving me so many issues it's hard to test the guitar through an amp. Is it easy to replace an input jack? Or do I need to solder the wires ?

Top Bottom