Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

=The Alien Club=

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by naetog, May 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. madmortar

madmortar

Ya I am thinking about it!
    Do you know the best / cheapest place to source hardware?

2. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

What strings do you guys use on your Aliens? I've had the stock strings on since I got my Deluxe Fretless 5 a few years back; thinking I should try something a bit different now.

3. Nightmaresandconclusions

Nightmaresandconclusions

I use these on mine, I will never go back to phosphor bronze, Too hard on the fingers especially on a Low B string. These are coated so feel super smooth. sound amazing and worth every cent.

La Bella Strings

I have also tried some black nylon wrapped strings but they sounded way too dull and they did not intonate. I did like the thumpy sound but if ithey cant tune its a deal breaker. The La Bellas are great and will last forever.

4. Nightmaresandconclusions

Nightmaresandconclusions

I just go to my local Warick dealer when I need bits like this. In this case I upgraded my Warwick stage one to Hipshot ultralites and used the old tuners on my Alien. I did not like the wooden tuners on my stage one but love them on my Alien.

schlobodan likes this.
  5. CeeJ

CeeJ

Time to add me to the Alien Club! #35 of 101.
    I was recently blessed with the miracle opportunity to buy a BRAND NEW OLD Stock Alien.

https://reverb.com/item/28623914-rare-1993-warwick-alien-acoustic-bass-by-lakewood-germany-all-solid-woods-nos-mint?show_sold=true
    The top is perfect - something weird in the picture/lighting makes this image look kind of wonky - but it's not!
    Also the frets and board seem a pinch dingy in the pics but they are not in person either... The strings have darkened in color a little bit
    and have a really cool deepness to them that I have not heard in other strings.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 12.36.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 12.37.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 12.38.14 AM.png
    SO.... NOW, I am looking for one of the Original Vintage Warwick Flight Cases and any Original Warwick Phosphor Bronze String Sets... if anyone has a source please let me know!

And lastly, this is big to me, if anyone knows how I can also locate who has my Dolphin Pro 1 5 String that I sold to Maddrakett before he passed away Times were hard and he was such a great person - I knew it would help make him feel better to have it and it meant a lot to me that it went to someone special. He was a great guy and I really enjoyed our calls... RIP!

Thanks!
    CeeJ

PizzaFiend and Hoggles like this.
  6. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Wow! What a beauty! Congrats!!

Gotta be the oldest NOS Wick I've ever seen.

*As for the case....I would message Hans Peter and see if by some amazing chance, he has one of the jumbo Orangies sitting in a storage room somewhere. Worth a shot.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    PizzaFiend likes this.
  7. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

John Beck
    Very nice!

CeeJ likes this.
  8. madmortar

madmortar

Wow!! Amazing... thats alot of money but what a special bass.

CeeJ likes this.
  9. madmortar

madmortar

So finally cleaned up my Vietnam made Alien last night. Cleaned the brass frets, oiled the fretboard, and swapped out the bronze roundwound strings for some Black Diamond Jazz flatwound. Pretty happy so far. Conditioning the bridge gave that rosewood new life....it was SO dry and now looks 100x better. I need to get some rosewood tuners to match.

Unfortunately, my input jack is all messed up. I have to angle the cord just right for it to pick up. Assuming I need a new input jack...not sure if that is something i can DIY?
    Also...maybe its just me but E string does sound as loud as the rest. There is also a wire that hits around in the body....not sure if that is normal or not.

10. CeeJ

CeeJ

I about fainted when I saw it!

Hoggles likes this.
  11. CeeJ

CeeJ

Did you use the Warwick Beeswax for the bridge? Also.... curious, what/where does the battery compartment look like on that one? Inside the sound hole?

12. CeeJ

CeeJ

Did some of the 101's get made with different bridge woods? I've seen some that appear to be VERY DARK to Black in color - Ebony or Wenge or??

13. madmortar

madmortar

No. I used F-one oil. It worked great, my rosewood bridge was a very light dry color, I added the F-one and it's not dark and rich looking, like the wood surrounding the airhole.

I can't recall if it did the same issue when I had my bronze strings on.... Though my input jack is giving me so many issues it's hard to test the guitar through an amp. Is it easy to replace an input jack? Or do I need to solder the wires ?

14. madmortar

madmortar

I don't think so. Some of the pics online are deceiving. Believe the 6 string version have ebony bridge. But as for the rosewood, it can change in color/depth based on if it has been conditioned or not.

Stainless likes this.
  15. madmortar

madmortar

Here is the inside of my Alien. Is the wire to input jack supposed to be loose? It sometimes rattles around.

Attached Files:

16. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

John Beck
    Maybe this will give you an idea, but if you're worried about soldering, you might want to take it a qualified tech.