Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Talk with James Lomenzo \m/

Discussion in 'Music Education - Share your knowledge here!' started by Florin, Apr 17, 2010.

1. da-vonk

da-vonk Warwick Enthusiast forevah

Mr Lomenzo, were there during yo awesome career maybe songs that ya really hated to play ?...or maybe songs that, no matter how hard ya tried 'n practised, actually never 'quite mastered' the way ya wanted it ?

2. Charmand G

Charmand G

I`m eager to hear a politically correct answer. ;)

3. da-vonk

da-vonk Warwick Enthusiast forevah

heheh...Mr Lomenzo knows he's among friendz here...;)

4. BassMonsterJLo

BassMonsterJLo Warwick Endorser

No worries friends, no political correctness needed. When you play over 280 dates a year something's bound to stick in your craw and make you ask the question "is this song really necessary to play yet again? For me? In my humble opinion? Well let's just say, I thought there were better ways to fill out a Megadeth set without playing "She Wolf" each and every night.

Songs I never mastered? No, I've always been able to grasp what I needed to play live to my satisfaction. Although, I will forever struggle with Havona in my "Bass Cave". I'm sure there's one or two of you who know what I mean...

Hey, Congrats and welcome to Trajillo joining the Warwick family! Great Bassist!

5. Sbociol

Sbociol

Hello Mr. Lomenzo,I saw some vids of you on youtube demoing the new Yamaha BB series basses and I am curious to hear your opinion about them...they look really nice but the price tag is friggin high...thank you in advance!

6. BassMonsterJLo

Well, in a world of "apples and oranges" they're really great "oranges" but they're definitely not apples. Anyway, it doesn't feel real cool to me to be hawking other brands of basses here, kinda like visiting a friends house and putting your feet up on their coffee table, if you know what I mean. So I'll leave just it at that.

7. ALB

ALB Guest

Hello Mr. Lomenzo, I've been reading this thread and I appreciate you taking the time to answer the various questions here on the forum. I do have one question for you, and please forgive me if it's already been asked but, what are your musical plans for the future? Are you currently working with a new band, doing session work, or are you looking into some solo type stuff?

8. Doc

Doc

I love this. Seriously. "Endgame" is one of my five favorite full-albums in the past few years and here you are on the forum. My question, if you have time at some point, deals with musicians rather than equipment.

Back in... Oh, man, must've been '96 or so, Overkill's record label ran a contest to hire a "roadie for the day" on each of their tour stops. I won one of the packages which was cool because I got to indulge in rider Heineken and veggie pizza, listen to the real roadies make fun of Blitz, and talk to the guys in the band for literally hours (except DD the bassist who was either in a bad mood the whole day or just a complete d**k). Their one guitarist, Sebastian I think his name was, told me that guitarists in general were not really friendly with each other on the road. He never really explained fully, but alluded to opening act frustrations over headliners, jealousy, endorsement issues and the like. Sounded kinda catty to me. Anyway, I had the good fortune not long after to talk with Chuck Schuldiner, then later Andy LaRoque about the same things. Andy wouldn;t commit either way (producer diplomacy?). Chuck said that jealousy and infighting was rampant and that he himself was a victim of many sharp attacks from other guitarists - he did say that it was more prevalent among and between big-name bands, though.

Obviously, I don't want you to throw any of your peers under the (tour) bus, but do you notice anything similar among bassists out there?

9. Vuk

Vuk Dr. Evil

hey, mr.Lomenzo, i'd like to ask you something (don't get me wrong): what was the main reason for you joining the forum?
    i think it's awesome that a player of this caliber joins a forum and actively interacts with other forum members, and it should be more common, but it's not, so i (and i think i'm not the only one) feel very special for having a player and a person like yourself on the forum. since i haven't sent you a welcome message, i'd like to do it now.

welcome to forum, mr.lomenzo, it's both honor and privilege!

10. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Supporting Member

I think I can reply to this one.

He saw an old Buzzard topic, and he couldn't resist chiming in. I saw just a normal post signed by Bassmonster Jlo. Than I thought... JLo.... ♣♣♣♣!!!! He is James Lomenzo!!!

I wrote him an email, and he confirmed that he is the LoMenzo :)

Then I invited him on the forum, and he was so kind to accept our invitation.

Thanks James!

11. Vuk

Vuk Dr. Evil

indeed, thank you James!

12. JSmith

JSmith

That's what so incredibly awesome, someone of this caliber is here and is having a conversation with everyone. I could imagine direct contact with fans could be a bit overwhelming so kudos to Mr. Lomenzo for joining the forum and hanging with us online.

13. BassMonsterJLo

Thanks Florin, I had tried to respond to this myself while overseas but after typing up a storm on my iphone the wifi glitched and so never sent my reply. My answer to Vuc was that I'd recently had the honor and pleasure of catching up with Hans Peter and some old friends at NAMM last January at Warwicks Booth. I was just so impressed and blown away by the care that Warwick still takes, not only in their production of their instruments but in their interest in the bass community at large. I was inspired to jump in and join with the community here on the forums. It's something I love to do and I also love to hear from other bassists and share stories and ideas. It definitely inspires me and so I hope that sharing some of my experiences might do the same for others.

Best to you,
    James

14. BassMonsterJLo

Hi Doc, An interesting experience. Actually, I used to see this sort of "one-up-manship" a lot more back in the eighties. These days musicians in general, especially the ones who are out there and playing really seem to be a little more humble and appreciative towards other musicians. I'm sure there are a few still out there who still carry just enough insecurity to make them "misbehave" towards their peer's but I notice less and less of this these days. As far as bassists are concerned, most that I've met haven't wasted too much time indulging in the sort of behavior you've described. Perhaps, for the most part, we bassists tend to be a little more "evolved" ;)

15. Doc

Doc

Thanks for the post and for answering my question. And, brother, do I know we're more evolved.

Over the weekend, I witnessed a four-way (over one hour) verbal slapfest between guitarists while three of us non-troglodytes sat and shared a bucket of Yuengling with three drummers.

16. UK Ken

UK Ken

This thread is awesome ! Again welcome to the forum James, and thanks for all the info/tips, and the great stories. I look forward to reading more 8:

17. BassPlyr Randy

BassPlyr Randy Long Winded SOB

I am just curious, do you think the reason you don't see that level of "one-up-manship" as much any more is because you attained a higher level of success? From my personal experience, I have found that at more of a beginner level, everyone really tries to help each other out. But once you reach a certain level where your out giging and trying to make a name for yourself, I have noticed that is where it starts to get cut throat. So I guess the question really is, have musicians really grown up and grown closer as a community (nice thought) or is it just a matter that once you achieve that higher level of success, like you have, that musicians tend to relax and don't fell the need to be as competitive and cut throat?

Also, like everyone else, I would really like to thank you for taking your time to partisipate in this community and for sharing your experiences and helpful tips and tricks. It really is quite interesting and informative to get a glimpse at bass and the industry in general from the perspective of someone that has attained the level of success that you have. You've had an impressive carreer, which I am sure will continue for a long time to come, and I believe your openess and willingness to share experenices to help other musicians along really shows your character. Im sure you will understand what I mean when I say that I think you are a trully righteous person and an amazing bass player. Thank you again.

18. BassMonsterJLo

HI Randy,

Thanks for your kind words and for sharing your experience on this subject.

You raise a good point, I was speaking strictly from my perspective and yes, as I indicated, in my estimation it does have to do with the security of the individual. I can tell you that the few brushes I've had with "malicious" musicians seemed to me to be based solely on their own insecurity, fear and ego. As the original question was pointed more towards bassists, I'll qualify my statement by telling you that two of these people in question were drummers and the other a guitarist (or 2). I assure you they did a lot more to me then just "ruffle my feathers" (No names will be given to protect the weak). Still, I have to say that there are these types of people in all walks of life from school board members right down to the mail room. It's human frailty we're really discussing and that, I guess, is what makes us all human, the good and the bad of it. I'm in a situation right now where there are a few of my friends (all bassists) vying for a particular gig. We're all uniquely qualified for it but the band leader can only choose one. Interestingly enough, much as we all want it, we'd all be quite happy if any one of us gets it! This is more of what I'm referring to regarding most bass player's mentality. Again, I agree with you this is from my perspective... as the ads say ..."your milage may vary..."

Thanks again Randy!

19. Negyuh

Negyuh total winker ;-)

Hello Mr. Lomenzo, i just truck this thread and it is most fun to read. I think you have aquired a lot of wisdom on your path through music! It struck me to read all this, i thought, wow this is someone who is seriously out there and doing it all, i really enjoy hearing and reading from you again.

Cheers!

20. TylerDurdenPSSC

TylerDurdenPSSC

I too have just discovered this thread, and would like to thank James from the depths of my being for not just being here, but sharing his experiences with this community. Of all the pros I know, none have done what james is doing here, and that speaks volumes.

Thank you for the music James. As said before you're surely an inspiration to more than one of us here.

I must pose a question in that chance you still have time to answer.

How have you made it through the BS that is the record industry for so many years? Not speaking from personal experience per say, but a close friend, a "brother" of mine high tail'd it out just a few years after the pay-off. I'm referring to producers, egotistical maniacs, endoresement proposals you didn't agree with, (my buddy was forced to trade Gibson for Dean.) Maybe even creative differences? I mean when it comes to players who've made the proverbial "Hodj" of bass-dom, its hard not to mention guys like you. True blue down to Earth dudes!

Again, thank you for the music and the knowledge James, you da.man.. :d