Strings for maximum growl ?

Reaction score
I know a string subject thread may be repetitive but I wanted to get peoples opinion of strings used specifically that brings out the maximum growl of the Warwick.
Brand and gauge would be helpful.
Thanks all !

:D

Reaction score
depending on what your definitipon of growl is you might want to try nickel strings...

Reaction score
I guess what I mean is bringing out the natural tendency of the Warwick bass to produce the "characteristic growl" Warwick is so famous for.

jay

Reaction score
Any answer here is just going to be opinions. That being said, I like DR's but I like different DR's on different basses. I use Hi-Beams on my streamette, but on my $$ they are too bright so I use Fat Beams...

Reaction score
i just use steels on everything, i'm pretty happy with 'em.
d'addario pro steels
.50 gauge

Reaction score
Lighter nickel strings seem to produce more growl. I'm currently strung with Framus .040-.100 nickel strings (they're also cheap). GHS Bassics also produce enough growl.
If you want to get rid of growl just install a set of La Bella Phosphor Bronze acoustic strings.

Reaction score
I like the DR Sunbeams for max growl. I also use Hibeam Flats on my fretless which are also pretty growly. :D

Reaction score
Do light gauge strings produce more "growl" than medium or heavy gauge?

Reaction score
I have to agree with the others, any DR strings are awesome. I use DR lo-riders or hi-beams, just depends on the gauge you want and how bright you want the strings to be. But DR is definitely the brand to go with.

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
elpelotero said:
black labels or emp's

Absolutely! Not only are these designed specifically with the signature Warwick tone in mind, but they have that cool winding at the tuners that keeps the string from slipping at the tuners. They also "feel" better than other strings I've tried with my Warwicks.

DRs are nice too (I love Marcus Millers, Black Beauties look good with black hardware on Bubinga, but the color chips away too soon and the tone is not as "alive"), but I still prefer the Warwick strings on my Warwick basses. Nothing sings and growls like Black Labels and EMPs! 8)

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
tonyp12tx said:
Do light gauge strings produce more "growl" than medium or heavy gauge?

Not IMHO. I find the medium gauge to be just right when using Warwick strings (haven't tried the Yellow Label nickels yet). Light will be slightly brighter, "pingy-er," maybe more "metallic" sounding? Heavy will be fatter, rounder - slightly less definition, but more "thump." But these differences will be very subtle, maybe not even audible. The real difference that you will notice more is the feel. Again, I prefer the medium gauge Warwick Black Label and EMP strings because the sound and feel just right - like finding "home."

Reaction score
I wonder how the D'Addario ESP stirngs sound? They're supposed to be the same idea as the EMP's, and we can't get EMP's in America. They state they last 3 to 4 times as long as regular strings, though they're also 4 times the cost, so except for the slight inconvenience of more frequent string changes you don't gain much there. The Streamer could use a new set of strings soon, I wonder if it's worth spending the extra?

Reaction score
thegermof86 said:
I have to agree with the others, any DR strings are awesome. I use DR lo-riders or hi-beams, just depends on the gauge you want and how bright you want the strings to be. But DR is definitely the brand to go with.

+1 - DR Fatbeams are the best strings I've ever tried.

Reaction score
Instead of making a new topic, I figured I'd just post it in here --
I'm looking for strings to maximize the natural Warwick growl, particularly in the mid range. My E string growls like a beast but the A and D strings... not so much. I blame this partly on my crappy Peavey amp, but it's all I have right now.

Anyway, right now I'm using DR Lo-riders, and I don't care for them. I used to string my old Ibanez bass with DR Hi-Beams, but I'm afraid that they'll be too bright on my Corvette. So with that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions for me to try? I prefer stainless, but...

Right now I'm stuck between trying Black Labels or DR Hi-Beams next. If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be great. I really want to get more growl out of my mids.

And when I bought my Vette, the strings were really dead, so I have no idea what true Black Labels sound like.

Reaction score
Look for a set of EMP's. That ought to get you some classic growl :wink: . ~M~

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
The only strings that have brought out the Warwick growl in my experience have been both the Black Label and the EMP (which are the Black Label with molecular protection that makes them smoother feeling and last longer, while preserving the tone). I have tried DR Black Beauties for their look, but they have been a bit dull compared to the Warwick strings (though they sound like Marcus Miller strings on other basses I've tried) and they lose their black coating rather fast.

I have found for me that DR strings are great (I love the Marcus Miller signature sets) on most basses, including Warwicks, but Warwick strings have a way of really pulling that little extra "something" out of my Warwick basses better than DR or any other strings I've tried. I especially noticed this when I bought my $$ 5-stringer - the Black Label strings made it feel like "home" to me and rang with a beautifly balanced tone and growl!

Top Bottom