String spacing: 16.5mm - How tricky is it to get used to?

Reaction score
I am playing with 19 & 18 mm spacing. I am very interested in a SSII, but not being able to find them to play test, I am concerned. Any Input is welcome,

Thanks

Mr Praline

Forum Silly Person
Reaction score
It takes a while to adjust too, certainly. However, I do not think it is a deal breaker.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
Unless you have sausages instead of fingers, it would not be such a big deal. For slapping, OTOH, it may be a big change.

Reaction score
you can set it up to 17.5mm! i still can feel the difference because i'm playing 20mm but it's a very cool option warwick is offering:)

Reaction score
Try another Warwick, or Rockbass with the same spacing. Just make sure the one you test has the same "thickness" as the one you are interested in. You could always do a "Lex" and order a SS2 with the SS1 spacing. $$$;)

Reaction score
you can set it up to 17.5mm! i still can feel the difference because i'm playing 20mm but it's a very cool option warwick is offering:)

So is this an adjustment thing with the bridge, or is it the way you order the bass?

Reaction score
Try another Warwick, or Rockbass with the same spacing. Just make sure the one you test has the same "thickness" as the one you are interested in. You could always do a "Lex" and order a SS2 with the SS1 spacing. $$$;)

There was a corvette at the store, that seemed to have the tighter spacing. It was a fat neck though. Well if I had the $$$ I'd have a P-nut III - but that's GAS speaking. I honestly covet the SSII timbre & tone, the III is a ridiculous bass. There is one on Craigslist in PA for $3800. If the sort of deal like the last on in Germany went for, that would be hard to pass up.

Reaction score
Sorry for the Noob questions, I am doing some herd thinning to make room for this new gem.

Anyone have an traditional old SSII 5 for me? (keeping the dream alive...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Florin

OG
Reaction score

I am not sure about that buddy... I know I tried, and the only way to have 17.5 mm was to set E and B really close to each other.

Reaction score
i've expand the b and g to the max, the a stays in the middle. after that you adjust the e and d in the middle of the new gap and you win 1mm from each string.

the b and g won't jump off the fretboard and it's very comfortable. tight up the screw right and it will be solid enough against the string tension. i use this set up on my fretless since about a year now without any problems!

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Sweet, I'll give it a try, and tell you the results.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Broadnecks FTW!

I never could get used to the tighter stringspacing, playing them makes my fingers cramp and my right hand fingers bleed from popping strings. 16.5mm is a nono for me.

Reaction score
I used to think it was too tight myself (even after max widening), but I adjusted where I would rest my thumb - used to rest it on the pickup itself, but found that once I rested my thumb on the face of the instrument (basically using the B string as an anchor, and using the pickup to lean the finger against), string spacing - wide or narrow - became no option.

Reaction score
I prefer the 16.5 mm spacing myself. I find it easier to skip strings and play faster. I have found no problem slapping either

Reaction score
I am not sure about that buddy... I know I tried, and the only way to have 17.5 mm was to set E and B really close to each other.

I did that when i had my FNA - originally to aligned that strings with the pickup poles - but the extra mm gained between each string was nice :)

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
I find moving from 4 string to 5 string 16.5mm has changed my playing a lot. Basically when I play 8ths I use only the index finger now for maximum accuracy, whereas on the 4-strings I would use index and middle a lot, alternating. I believe I play with a softer touch as well, which is not that great cause I already played pretty soft. Narrow fivers have their advantages, like being able to play faster passages with a pick and the strings more packed together for the fretting hand which I prefer. But I am thinking perhaps I should return to 4 strings or fiver broadneck so I can bash my bass more. :)

Top Bottom