Streamer Vs Corvette Cutaway ... 24th Fret Acess

Reaction score
Dear fellas,
I´m planing to treat myself with a 5 string fretless, and i saw a nice deal with a Rockbass corvette 5. I´M having second thoughts because i also have a Rockbass streamer LX5, but the access to the 24th fret isn`t a easy task. This might be due to my hand size or shape, but i strugle to get there. Never had yhis issue with my thumb BO5.
The thing is, I can`t try this corvette so this woul have to be a leap of faith.
My question is: What´s your experience with the cutaway of this models? ever had the same issue? Do the streamer and corvette have the same issue?
Thanks in advace.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Access to the 24th fret position is roughly the same on both models, and I do believe everyone is having a hard time to play there properly. This only gets better on a Thumb or Dolphin, which have a far more retracted bodyshape at the lower horn side.

The real question is how important is access to the 24th fret going to be on your fretless. In my opinion you should not let this be a dealbreaker.

Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
Are you looking at new or used instruments? On my FL Corvette the #24 is not easy to reach (cut away at #20-21). I only can compare to my fretted Streamers, but they are NT, where the #24 is easy to reach with cut away at #22-23. But I don't know where the neck is set at BO Streamers. And I do agree with @Hardy , the sound of the DE built is great. Weight plays a role where Bubinga is used!

Reaction score
Are you looking at new or used instruments? On my FL Corvette the #24 is not easy to reach (cut away at #20-21). I only can compare to my fretted Streamers, but they are NT, where the #24 is easy to reach with cut away at #22-23. But I don't know where the neck is set at BO Streamers. And I do agree with @Hardy , the sound of the DE built is great. Weight plays a role where Bubinga is used!
Access to the 24th fret position is roughly the same on both models, and I do believe everyone is having a hard time to play there properly. This only gets better on a Thumb or Dolphin, which have a far more retracted bodyshape at the lower horn side.

The real question is how important is access to the 24th fret going to be on your fretless. In my opinion you should not let this be a dealbreaker.

Thanks for you input @DiMarco . I guess i have to reevaluate the situation. I have allready done some sort of solos for my band, and that includes the use of the 24th fret, several times, simply because ...there he was, and i could use it.

I have a Rockbass Streamer fretless. It‘s not as good sounding as a German model.

Look for something like this I suggest:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...buttons&utm_medium=social&utm_content=app_ios
@Hardy thanks for your suggestion, but as it`s my first experience into the fretless world, i`m into something a bit more afordable. I´ve seen this rockbass corvette $$ for 310€ . Another option is to transform my RB streamer LX, into fretless, and that should cost me arroud 160/190€

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Substitutions are your friend. =) Yes I learned a new word. LOL.

I'd go for the 310 euro corvette deal. You can sell it on if you do not like it.

Reaction score
Well, it seems that the 24th fret easy access is not part of the 5 string bolt on DNA. Thanks for your input @BrusselsBass

Reaction score
Real Name
Ulrich
If you really want to play high registers, you can string EADGC instead of BEADG - or buy a 6 string

Reaction score
Consider that Fender players only have 20 frets :cool:
:D yeah, and most of the times they only have 4 strings... what was i thinking?

If you really want to play high registers, you can string EADGC instead of BEADG - or buy a 6 string
That could be an option to , or maybe look into some other makers, like ibanez or spector.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
6 string fretless necks are harder to master. Be warned. The width of the neck makes correct intonation across the board harder then you'd think.
It can be done though, if you have the feel for it.

Top Bottom