Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Streamer Lx5 2011 Limited Or Streamer Lx5 Custom 2018

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Robby Zhang, Jul 7, 2020.

?

Which One?

1. 2011 Limited Edition 500+€ Cheaper

2. An Unremarkble 2018 Custom Shop

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Robby Zhang

Robby Zhang

Recently I got a chance to buy one of those two basses. The 2011 limited edition is about 550€ or 62000Yen cheaper than the 2018 CS model, which is quite a usual configuration: wenge neck, flame maple body, MEC, no inlays.

But I found that the 2011 limited models used 'blackwood', which I am sure that it is Australia Blackwood or Acacia melanoxylon, judging from the color. this kind of wood is much softer than wenge, even softer than sugar maple, according to the Janka Hardness and Elastic Modulus on the website 'The Wood Data Base'. (By the way, ovangkol is also softer than North American sugar maple. But I think Warwick uses European maple which is softer than North American maple.)

I have a stage I 5 string broad neck made in 2011 with a super slim flame maple neck. and I am not satisfied with the stability of this neck. flame maple is softer than the straight grain and birds eye maple. I think that would be the reason. So I am looking into some model with hardwood necks. Especially wenge.

But Australian Blackwood? I have no experience with it. If it is stable enough, then the 2011 Limited is a good deal. Otherwise, I will go to the CS made in 2018, for the wenge, even it costs more.

There is another issue. according to the official youtube channel, Warwick basses have solid CNC brass bridges since 2013, so what kind of bridges did 2011 Warwicks use? The same ones on the Rockbass made in China? that is a significant fact, compared to which the wooden tuners and back guards are far less important.

I also don't like ovangkol very much, cuz many basses made during 200Xs have broken necks. I don't know why, maybe it is the wood hardness issue, but the new GPS Warwicks seem to be very stable.

2. Stainless

Stainless

former birthplace of Warwick: Franconia, Germany
    Are you sure it is Australian Blackwood?
    I would tend to say it is Grenadill or African Blackwood, Dalbergia melanoxylon in latin :)
    At least it was stable enough to last 9 years :)

3. Robby Zhang

Robby Zhang

African Blackwood has a much dark color that nearly absolute black. While the Australian Blackwood is light brown.
    My stage also has lasted 9 years, but it is not stable, requiring frequent adjustment like a Musicman. I even don't put the truss rod cover on it for convenience. Some Musicman basses even lasted 15 years but that is under careful treatment. I'm worried that the same thing would happen in the 2011 limited edition. :confused:

4. Stainless

Stainless

former birthplace of Warwick: Franconia, Germany
    I would ask Warwick on your point, what exact wood this has :)
    Personally I would prefer Wenge.

Robby Zhang likes this.
  5. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

Stainless likes this.
  6. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

The slap contour on the 2011 SE preamp engages suck mode. Bah it is as useless as the pre-shape mode on my Trace Elliot amps. Very eighties and completely unusable.

Stainless likes this.
  7. Robby Zhang

Robby Zhang

Yeah! Wenge Forever! I have no idea which email to ask:oops:
    And I very care about the material of the bridge before 2013

8. Robby Zhang

Robby Zhang

Not a problem for me I think. I care more about the character of Blackwood and the material of the bridge. If Warwick hasn't use brass CNC bridge until 2013 I will directly go for the custom shop streamer.