Streamer LX and Corvette Proline Similarities

Reaction score
I currently own a Warwick Corvette Proline that I love. I would like to however get a little bit more grind/growl out of the bass so I'm considering a pickup or preamp swap.

There is a band here in Oz called Grinspoon and their bass player (Joe Hansen) plays a Warwick Streamer LX through an Eden rig. He has a massive, ballsy tone which sounds great for rock. I like his tone but I've had no luck finding out what pickups/preamp he uses or if his Streamer LX is stock.

So I'm basically wondering about the differences between the two models. Now both the Corvette Proline and the Streamer LX have flame maple bodies and an Ovagkol/Wenge neck, with a key difference being the Corvette's J pickups and the Streamer's Reverse P/J configuration. What I'm wondering is how the basses compare tonally. Does the Streamer's reverse P neck pickup give a significantly meatier/growlier tone, or are they in the same ballpark?

Sorry I know this post is all over the place, but I guess I'm just wondering how I can add a little bit more 'balls' to my proline. With money fairly tight at the moment, what would be more beneficial, a pickup swap or a preamp swap?

Reaction score
Joe's been using Warwick amps & cabs for years now mate.
2x Tubepath 10.1's thru 2 811 ND's.I dont know anything about his effects though,sorry.
The LX is a really growly bass,possibly the growliest imho.
iirc,his Streamer LX's are stock.
When we talk about a particular player's tone,it's important to consider if it's their live or studio tone that's the one that floats your boat.Recorded,Joe has one of the nicest rock tones around,but I've noticed it's a little bit different live.To me,it sounds less processed & more natural.
What sort of amps are you using?
Amps are often overlooked,but are just as an important part of your tone,as your bass & fingers are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I noticed it says that under his bio on this site but he was definately using an Eden World Tour series head when I saw them live last weekend. I can't remember which cabs he used but I'm 100% sure about the head. His tone during sound check just about ripped my shirt off hehe!

Since the pickups are likely stock, what sort of difference would the body shape and reverse P neck pickup make to the tone compared with a Corvette Proline?

Reaction score
Maybe he thought twice about lugging all his Warwick amps all the way to Perth,& just used whatever was on offer,I dunno.
It's always extremely difficult duplicating someone's tone,while using a different bass.I'm probably the last person to offer any helpful advice,sorry mate.I'm more of a,find a bass YOU like,rather than striving to achieve someone elses.
Good luck.

Reaction score
I know what you mean about duplicating someone's tone, that's not really what I'm after. I try to listen to bass players and pick out tones that I like and see what gear they use to see how much it influences things tonally.

In my case, that's what put me onto Warwick. I noticed that a common denominator between most all of the tones I liked was the bassists using Warwick basses, so I did some more research and bought one. Likewise with my Eden amp.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't look to duplicate someone's tone, its more getting in the same region of a few artists that I like the tone of. With tone being so difficult to put into words I find using actual examples to be pretty useful.

I understand too about Joe not wanting to lug around his gear, that's probably a pretty plausible explanation. He definately managed to keep his big, ballsy tone using that Eden though! Thanks for your help too Greg, I appreciate it!

Reaction score
flexo said:
Does the Streamer's reverse P neck pickup give a significantly meatier/growlier tone, or are they in the same ballpark?

I think they have to be considered "in the same ballpark", but I also think the P-style pickup could give the LX a bit more meat and bark. I'm a new LX owner/player, but I absolutely agree with Greg, the LX is a growly MF'er. I'm also a humbucker ($$) fanatic, but I'm of the opinion that the LX is Warwick's best kept secret... the Proline could be right there too, I've just never had the chance to try one. Is it possible that 'Joe Hansen' plays an LX with an all-wenge neck?

*EDIT: I almost forgot to say... pickup placement could play a role here as well, they are pushed closer to the bridge on the LX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I think you're right Jeff.
Joe's LX's are from the 90's with all wenge necks.

Reaction score
I know what you mean about duplicating someone's tone, that's not really what I'm after. I try to listen to bass players and pick out tones that I like and see what gear they use to see how much it influences things tonally.

In my case, that's what put me onto Warwick. I noticed that a common denominator between most all of the tones I liked was the bassists using Warwick basses, so I did some more research and bought one. Likewise with my Eden amp.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't look to duplicate someone's tone, its more getting in the same region of a few artists that I like the tone of. With tone being so difficult to put into words I find using actual examples to be pretty useful.

I understand too about Joe not wanting to lug around his gear, that's probably a pretty plausible explanation. He definately managed to keep his big, ballsy tone using that Eden though! Thanks for your help too Greg, I appreciate it!

No worries,& sorry I cant be of any real help,other than to say I think your Proline might get you into the same ballpark,tonewise,as Joe.There's some guys in rock bands that play a proline that have really nice tone.My experience with the Proline is extremely limited,but I found that when played with a pick,& really dig in,the Proline can get pretty bloody aggressive,& have a real mean bark to them.
I'd experiment a little with pedals.Like maybe the Aguilar Tone Hammer,MX 80,Sans Amp,EBS Microbass 2,etc etc. See if that gets you some favourable results.
Personally,I'd just buy a pre-98 LX.
They're really an exceptional bass.

Top Bottom