Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Stone's Bass String Problem

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Peter Haddad, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Peter Haddad

Peter Haddad

I'm having a problem fitting strings through the slots in my tailpiece.
    It's not the original, but it was purchased from Framus/Warwick in Germany several years ago, and is a Star Bass tailpiece with Star Bass stamped on it. I've been piecing the bass back together since I "wrecked" it many years ago, and now, having found a bridge with the help of this forum, even though missing electronics, I can play it acoustically! Yay
    BUT...
    I just got a set of Fender 58's, nylons, and the bottom of the string will not fit in the tailpiece grooves.
    The gauge is OK, but the "bushing" of the string where the anchor knob is, will not fit through the grooves.
    Before I modify this difficult-for-me-to-get tailpiece, can someone recommend a string that will not be problematic in this area?
    It's been 45 years since I've put strings on this girl...

2. RIP

RIP California U.S.A. Good Vibe Sponsor

Hoggles, DiMarco and jester like this.
  3. Peter Haddad

Peter Haddad

Thanks RIP. I'll try the pliers while I look for something that doesn't have to be modified. 50 years ago, I put a set of nylon strings on there. I'd like to find them again, but I can't find anything like them online, though I've been searching a bit. Naturally they were wire core, but the body of the string was nylon. Like the kid that I was, I didn't want the dead sound, and tossed them. That we 50 some odd years ago...

DiMarco and RIP like this.