Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

SSII or that custom LX... thing?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by baconburger, Oct 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. baconburger

baconburger

So, I'm on a quest to buy my first wick eveeer! I've narrowed my choice to an SSII since the tone is just oh so awesome. But the downside is that it's ugly. Well, not ugly. More just like the really plain sister.

Then I saw Buy Warwick Streamer LX Custom Electric Bass | 4 String Electric Bass | Musician's Friend It looks... just awesome.

See, I'm really not familiar with wicks since I live in a country where they're only obsessed with no name brands made out of plywood. Or plain old MM sterlings that are like $3000. So I'm swayed. But I know nothing about the LX. I assume custom = custom shop? If I'm not mistaken, regular LXes are p/j configuration, no? So would the j/j be quite similar to a SSII, then?

One thing I like abut the LX (except the beautiful wood top) is the EMG pups; since I'm not really a fan of MECs. So how would you compare the SSII to the LX, and which would you recommend? Also, weight would be a consideration. See, the downside of playing bass when you're a female is that you're more prone to a bad back and that confused where-is-the-chair-should-I-just-kick-the-drummer gaze mid gig.

(Or you can just tell me which would have more growl. I like growls. :twisted:)

And as a complete side note, hello and nice to meet you guys ;)

2. Mr Praline

Mr Praline Forum Silly Person

SSII > Every other Warwick. So yeah...go for the SSII!

3. Lex

Lex Warwick Endorser

Welcome!

First of all, the SSII is a killer bass. It looks much nicer in person than in pics, believe me. The tone is unmatched!

As for the LX... there's some interesting trivia behind that bass.

When I looked at the link, I thought the bass looked really familiar... and then I remembered this:

Warwick Basses Amps & Rock'n Roll

That bass was custom made for Joshua Dunham, Prince's bass player. I remember talking to him about it at NAMM 2008, while it was still on order. The inlay on the 12th fret says "Vivo", which is the name of the entertainment company owned by Joshua and Cora Dunham (his wife, and Prince's drummer).

I don't know if Josh ever used this live with Prince as I think the whole band were transitioning to Fender at the time (Josh now plays a Ritter Royals bass).

He also had this one made:

Warwick Basses Amps & Rock'n Roll

So, if you want to own a cool bass with a little 'history' behind it, then it's a good buy. Price is good too, this thing would have been twice as much as a custom order.

With all this in mind, I would say that Musician's Friend has their info wrong. The body wood is not walnut, it's Ash. The neck is maple... and the pickups are Seymour Duncan Basslines, not EMG.

Really interesting bass... weight is about 9 pounds which is just a touch more than the Stage II equivalent. Pickups are the same configuration obviously...

Can't say how this will compare tone-wise to a Stage II. A lot of the Stage II tone comes from the Afzelia body and neck-through construction, wenge fingerboard. This LX has a swamp ash back which supposedly gives better lows... and don't forget it has a maple neck which is uncommon.

I'm thinking that the maple neck + ash body + J/J will give you a sound somewhat reminiscent of a Fender Jazz bass... which a Stage II definitely is NOT!

Anyway, nice find! Let me know how you go with it.

Lex

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  4. golem

golem Philosopher King

Firstly .... Welcome !

Secondly ..... Sure, kick the drummer,
    or throw a geetard at him.

Thirdly .... if you wanna lighten up on
    your back you wanna stick with swamp
    ash and learn to get your sound from
    4 strings rather than 5 or 6. I'm 100%
    in favor of growl myself, and especially
    of growly females. I wanna assure you
    that much of the growl in a Warwick is
    from the exotic neck woods. Therefore
    I can't see you being overjoyed with a
    heavy bubinga-walnut body and maple
    neck. Reverse that and go for a swamp
    ash body and ovangcal neck.

You can get that mix of woods on the
    most bassic Corvette for under $1000
    and have lotsa money left over to redo
    the electronics with EMGs or whatever
    else rocks your boat, even if it means
    routing for a dual coil bridge PU. The
    bassic swamp ash Vett is more than
    $3000 less than that MF special, and
    just 1/2 or even 1/3 of that will buy a
    lotta modding, incl routing and EMGs.

Speaking of money and happy backs,
    here's my latest emfatuation ... only
    $1000, 5.5 lb, handbuilt, and it kicks
    verrrry serious butt. It's really hard to
    pick up a 10lb Vett or StingRay after
    a "night off" gigging this:​

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  5. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

If weight is a big factor (and it sounds like it is), then I definitely agree with golem. Especially if you do a lot of shows/rehearsals.

I just started playing in a cover band in addition to my original band, so my monthly show/rehearsal hours went from ~10 hours to ~40 hours. As a result, I ended-up trading a heavier bass (4.6 kg/10 lbs) for a lighter bass (3.6 kg/8 lbs). Sure, it's only 1 kg/2 lbs, but shedding 20% is HUGE if you play long sets.

6. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

By the way, I certainly wasn't dogging the SSII from a tone perspective. I'm a total humbucker guy, and I still think it's one of the best basses around...

7. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

While the SS2 is comparable to the Thumb in weight,I think it's the distribution of it's weight that's why it's comfier to play for longer periods.The body of the SS2 is longer & the weights distributed along a broader area,than the smaller bodied Thumb.
    This isnt gospel truth btw,just a theory I have.

8. Rehan

Rehan

Rehan
    +1 :arrow: I completely agree with your theory Greg!;)

9. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

Last time I checked, that doesn't change how much weight is pulling on that strap hung around your neck and shoulder. But hey, if it makes you feel better... :p;)

10. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

if it balances better (SS2), it will feel less heavy

11. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Well, I've noticed that SSII are like 0.5to 1 Kg ligter than the thumb...

It actually is important. A comfortable position will keep the back straighter, and it will be less stressed.

12. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Maybe the Thumb's shorter horn makes it sit a little bit further to the right.I dunno.But that'd explain why the first frets feel a bit further away than the Streamer.Maybe this is unique to my body.But I went from a Thumb 5 to a Streamer 4.As soon as I picked it up,it felt lighter.Anything over 8 pounds,to me is gettin heavy.

13. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

Just for the record, I was only messing with you guys. ;)

But why are we comparing the SSII with the Thumb anyway? 'Baconburger' was asking about the SSII and the Streamer LX; and my example of moving to a lighter bass was from a Corvette to another Corvette. Nothing at all about a Thumb. I guess I don't understand your arguement...

14. Lex

Lex Warwick Endorser

Nobody cares that the bass was made for Prince's bass player? LOL

15. Callum

Callum

HAHA i was gonna pull this point up!

Unless weight is a huge, and i mean huge issue for you, i think more 4 string warwicks won't cause any really issues. 5 string an above are different though. Going with thumbs, which are crazy heavy, i could deal with a 4 string np, 5 made my shoulder ache after 30 mins into a set.

Any streamer shape just balances nicely and doesn't stress or cause any discomfort, i am getting really fussy about weights and comfort but i think its just my bad posture...

Anyway if you like a SSII but find it too plan you could get a custom shop order with a fancy wood top to look like that streamer LX, but have all (ok most of) the SSII sound goodness.

16. Grgzilla

Grgzilla

Ya,know,I think you're onto something there Jeff.
    I have no idea why I started talking about Thumbs.
    This dementia just gets worse.:eek:

17. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS

Haha! No worries, my friend.

Judging by this thread, age is effecting you mentally and me physically. Maybe that's the key factor here: age. All I know for sure is that my last gig with 'the heavy bass' was a Wednesday through Saturday night, 9pm to 1am (4 x 45 minute sets) each night. I never wanted to play it again... ;)

18. Mr Praline

Mr Praline Forum Silly Person

No it's just that nobody believes you.:p

19. Lex

Lex Warwick Endorser

hahaha... it's true

20. baconburger

baconburger

Wow, thanks for the replies guys.

I am definitely sticking to four stringers - never wanted to gamble with a 5 on such an expensive bass (guess I missed the description of the lx being 5 stringed, eh). Yes, the weight issue is definitely a big factor. But last night I weighed my Fender jazz, and found out that it's around 8 pounds.

SSII is around 9 pounds, aye? I think I'll somehow manage to adapt to the extra weight eventually. I hope.

Decided to pass on the LX because seems like it's heavy and Lex caught me in the 'sound somewhat reminiscent of a Fender Jazz bass' part. For some reason I don't want to be reminded of any jazz of any kind. Ugh.

And Golem, my back is currently envying you SO much for that light bass. Got any recommendation of any non-handmade basses that weigh around that much? I'm just not too big of a corvette fan, sadly.