Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Spectradrive Or Other Similar Pedal Pre's

Discussion in 'Bass Pedals, Effects & Preamps' started by TomBow, Feb 2, 2020.

1. TomBow

TomBow

I've been staring at the Spectra Drive by TC electronics but was wondering about first hand experiences with it, as well as other Preamp pedal options. I like the idea of having the Aux In/Headphone out for practice purposes. Currently, I practice so quietly with earbuds in to learn new tunes, that sometimes I can't tell if the speaker is on or if it's just the bass resonance that I am hearing/feeling.
    So's I asks: Do you have the SD or something else that has the Aux In/Headphone that you use and how do you like it? I am looking also to use it as a recording Pre.
    Thanks in advance, me hardies!
    (disclaimer: I am not an actual pirate...)

2. EPBBass

EPBBass

I play always silently via headphones, using my Steinberg UR 12 interface. Backing tracks, if needed go from my PC into the interface.

3. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

I have a number of options I could use in this way, with an aux input and headphone out. With and without cab simulation.
    Oddly though, playing with headphones on makes me feel uncomfortable somehow.

What I have used is some really small practice amps which I place on top of one of the speakers of my stereo and play along to that.
    It doesn't have to be loud that way (I also have a 400w tube amp with 2x12 at the attic but that only comes alive on higher volumes, sounds weak at low volume).

So far the small practice amp way is what I use mostly. It is the easiest and quickest route.

I can understand why you would like to use a pre-amp kind of setup though if you don't dislike headphones like me.

If using a dedicated preamp pedal, you can't really go wrong. There are some very very viable options out there and depending on the inner force of your wallet you can get some really great sounds using just a preamp. I could give you a number of examples but I won't.

Why? Since you have another thread up about wanting to get into some home recording I would go down the route EPBBass just suggested and simply use your home recording rig for practicing as well. I will elaborate in the other thread.

4. TomBow

TomBow

Thanks for the reply, DiMarco. Yes, I am looking to cover both, practice use and recording preamp use. Cheers.