So what hifi gear are you listening to? (geeky thread)

Mr Praline

Forum Silly Person
Reaction score
Well if it counts for anything, I am using a pair of PSB M4U 2 headphones for all my music listening. If you Google them I think you will find the consensus that they are some truly spectacular sounding headphones.

All I can say is that nothing sounds good to me anymore when it comes to headphones, and that a good pair of headphones is the cheapest way to acquire a good sound.

ubo

Reaction score
Well if it counts for anything, I am using a pair of PSB M4U 2 headphones for all my music listening. If you Google them I think you will find the consensus that they are some truly spectacular sounding headphones.

All I can say is that nothing sounds good to me anymore when it comes to headphones, and that a good pair of headphones is the cheapest way to acquire a good sound.

I've been looking at a pair of these:

7c0c82ab_Grado.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Currently using:

Denon AVR-1610, hooked to a surround-setup with
Scandyna Smallpods (front)
Cinepod MkII (center)
Micropods (back)
Cambridge Audio X200 (active 200w sub, 3x6.5")

They sound clear as crystal, and for film they are incredible. For music they vary a lot, but I don`t have the best bluray-player. For funk and pop they work very well, for death metal....meeeh..

DSC_1732.jpg

Reaction score
82CD6980-DF34-45A0-AFAB-7D86687942CA.jpeg
8F09E3F1-E423-4CA8-81A8-A2277D1976AE.jpeg
Living on a boat under construction with my Macs safely stored out of harm’s way, I’ve found my durable splash and water resistant JBL Pulse 2 Bluetooth speakers working well for me. I chose them because they’re capable of true stereo separation (you can change which is left or right on the fly) with the JBL app, a feature I’ve not seen in other Bluetooth models. I can move them around for cool stereo effect and like the light show feature. You can also name them -which I call one Cassandra and the other Lenore, two characters from my novel-

I also have the Bose QC 30 and 35 headsets when at the gym or at a coffeehouse where I generally hate the music they play-

Oh and you can see one of the pictures a pair of Yamaha monitor speakers I use with my iMac.

Then are a pair of open and closed can headsets with a preamp by some kind of haute-taute company from Europe I’ll have to name in another message- they’re also off boat in storage for the time being-

Last edited:
Reaction score
They’re a pair of AKG K702 and K271’s- though not in the same class as a high end pair of Sennheisers they’re still quite pleasant -

The preamp is a a Fiio E17 though the relatively low impedances of my AKG’s don’t seem to require it.

Reaction score
I have the K712's as well very nice. I just scored some old Yorkville passive monitors that are awesome. So had to flog my Sony reciever for now lol. My Dad actually has an decent Rotel and Sansui amps that are on their way so bless his hoarding lol. I know my gear is home studio gear but I really enjoy the clarity I am getting.

Top Bottom