Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

So what hifi gear are you listening to? (geeky thread)

Discussion in 'Audio / Recording / Live' started by DiMarco, Dec 21, 2012.

1. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

I have always been a sucker for high quality low end and hearing "everything" on my HiFi. In my search for the perfect Hi Fi I have gone through numerous "high end" (but within reason) pieces of equipment like Marantz, Luxman amps and cd players, Thorens and Dual for playing vinyl records and speakers from Kef, B&W, Adam and British nineties high end transmissionline speakers by TDL, which I am still using today.

This is what I am using to listen to some old Incubus stuff right at this moment:

[​IMG]
    Luxman C03B pre-amp. I am using this for its great phono stage. Current record player is a Dual CS5000 with Audiotechnica OC9 moving coil cartridge. Miles Davis' "Kinda Blue" sounds incredible on vinyl!

[​IMG]
    Bryston 3B ST power amp, can control almost any speaker system, including ones that are really tough to drive like old Infinity speakers etc. It keeps the low end really tight as its damping factor and slew rate are really good. It is also capable of serving as a second power section within my bass rig =)

Over here the Bryston is driving a pair of TDL Studio 3 transmission line speakers which reach down to 24hz within the 3db margin. This makes them excellent for checking low end rumble in anything I mix myself. For nearfield monitoring I'm using active Adam A3X monitors together with the Adam sub 7, but the resolution and stereo placement on the TDL is much better.

Most my music gets played through an ESI [email protected] 192/24 soundcard unless of course it is on vinyl.

Any others in here who enjoy listening to good audio gear?

2. sprocket

sprocket

Nice stuff Marco , would love to drive my cabs with the Bryston .

3. naetog

naetog

Wow. That is an amazing piece. These days I've been appreciating my fancy headphones because they sound better than any speaker/amp I can afford for home listening purposes.

My wife can't appreciate the cost for what she can't hear in sound quality (which I understand, because if you/she can't tell the difference, then what is the point?), so I've got a bit of persuading/educating to do...

I'm trying to get my fun stuff acquired before we get a kid in the works...

4. SimonQwerty

SimonQwerty Warwick Funkster

Generally using my Sony MDR headphones along with MOTU Ultralite sound card, but I spend enough time in a small project studio where I can listen to the music, which I really need to check out. It's equipped with RME fireface 800 and Focal SM6 monitors. The main thing that makes me happy there is extremely good, properly adjusted acoustics.

5. DiMarco

Good point Simon. My attic home studio has acoustic treatment. There is no ceiling as it is under the rooftop and there's a vibration stopping layer underneath the thick carpet. At normal sound levels there should not be any early reflections or comb filtering going on. I do want to further treat the rest of the room in the near future and add a vocal booth.

The standing waves I had in my previous home at some lower frequencies no longer exist in this room, I love it!

6. SimonQwerty

SimonQwerty Warwick Funkster

That's cool, Marco! Standing waves in some co-called studios in the city is a huge problem. Especially when you get one in a listener position. I hope you'll make the rest of the treatment in your studio soon. Special foam panels/sound traps will definitely help. Keep going! You know what to do ;)

7. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Nice thread :)

I am using now B&W 602 S3 speakers, and ROTEL power amp, and CD player.

8. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

Similar here Florin, got the B&W DM685's with a Denon surround receiver and a Sonos streaming system using Spotify :)

9. sprocket

sprocket

Rottel make some good nice product Florin , a friend of mine has some too .

10. 11080

11080 Serbian Bassist

Infinity 81 MKII speakers,
    Technics SU-V620 power amp,
    Technics SL-PS770D CD player,
    Technics ST-GT550 stereo synthesizer tuner.

Nice thread.

11. Warwick Official

Warwick Official

My stuff isn't super high-end, but its nice...

Jolida 1501 integrated hybrid
    Musical Fidelity A3.5 integrated

Onix Ref 1 (mk II) speakers (x4)
    Onix UFW10 sub

Denon 3910 DVD player

12. DiMarco

Oh I'd say that Musical Fidelity is pretty much top notch Garey.
    Good to hear I'm not the only bassist here with a thing for good audio equipment guys.

Rotel has some real cool stuff too, do a search for Rotel Michi. Sexy gear indeed!

13. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

I cannot make a spotify account in ROmania... maybe someone can help meeee!

14. da-vonk

da-vonk Warwick Enthusiast forevah

I actually only listen thru headphonez cause I don't wanna influence/torture/annoy da rest of da family with my ever-changing music moodzzz ... put my stereo gear in da attic many moonz ago ... 8:

15. golem

golem Philosopher King

`

Portable CD player thru a resistance mixer [to merge to mono and
    as a volume control] into an approximately 12 band mono EQ into
    a Stewart Audio class D power amp [bridged to 60W mono] driving
    a Flite 123 bass cab [3-way, with its 12" sub firing downward at a
    45 degree "reflector" panel]. The output "port" of the sub is aimed
    at a cloth panel about 2 ft away, to avoid creating standing waves.

So how Hi is the Fi ? Well, the music from the CD sounds a lot less
    crazy and scrambled that what I'm hearing when I'm in the middle
    of live band, so it's hifi enuf to sound MORE real than live music ...

This RAWX ! ! !

16. da-vonk

da-vonk Warwick Enthusiast forevah

btw ... I fully agree with Marco on da vinyl sounding so much better than da modern cd ... 8:

I remember a few yearz ago when my friend and I organized a party and we'd invited a local DJ to do da music ... besides a lot of impressive modern (digital) stereo gear that guy also'd brought sum 'old-fashioned' turntablez ... while we helped him carry his gear into da place where da party was held, we wondered why he'd brought these turntablez and we thought he'd probably use them to do da 'scratching', which was very popular among DJ'z in those dayzzz ... anywayz, as my friend and I was laying on da couches enjoying a well-deserved spliffy after an afternoon of hard work organizing and arranging da party, da DJ was just ready to do his soundcheck and when he yelled at us from behind his DJ-desk if we had any (musical) requestz, we decided that (believe it or not) a kewl Miles Davis tune would be da ultimate for da moment ... with eyez closed (and a spliffy in da head) we listened laying on our backz to da first 2 songz of 'Kind of Blue' but then it waz as if sumone had suddenly pulled a condom over our earz .... as we woke up from da euphoria we told da DJ that wutevah he was planning to do that nite, that equalizer he'd just put on, waz absolutely NOT invited on our party ! ... Da DJ smiled and said he'd just pulled a trick on us ... da first 2 traxxx he'd played from da old vinyl record and during da pause he'd secretly switched to da cd ... 8:

17. Warwick_rocks

Warwick_rocks

My stuff isn't high end but sounds very good, once I adjusted all the settings
    Pioneer VSX-523
    Energy CB-20 - the best part of the setup
    Bose center channel

18. herb vibes

herb vibes

nothing special in here but it is a killer setup for my little appartment, vintage meets hi-tech; technics sl 10 / technics su-vz 320 / jamo s 404 / apple airport express.
    [​IMG]

19. Hardy

Hardy Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Technics SL-10! I had this too, a long time ago. At one day the sensor quitted working and dragged the needle across the LPs. I got angry and destroyed the player. That took me some time because it was very solid built. Yes, these angry times when I was young...

My current equipment: a Marantz SR5006, B&W DM 602, B&W CC 6, some Samsung speakers for the rear, PS3 as music tank. All LPs secured!

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
  20. ubo

ubo

Jamo speakers, NAD amp (26 years old), Cakewalk ADAC / DAC in my guitar room from my PC and Sonos elsewhere in the house (it's convenient...)