So Annoyed With Apple

Reaction score
I generally love how their hardware and how it works but today........

At 10:37 am US Central time I created and tried to send an email to an illustrator I'm commissioning for illustrating the cover art an album I'm working on.

This email had a number of attachments strategically inserted between notes on how I wanted to the cover to look. In other words, I spent some time composing it.

I tried to send, but got a message saying my iCloud storage was full and did I want to upgrade my storage for $$$. I said no, then got a message stating that I could no longer send messages with iCloud.

Funny thing is, I don't ever remember delegating mail services to iCloud. My server from the first time I got my MacBook in 2016 and others before was Hotmail.

So I tried reinstating Hotmail but I kept getting an error message that I needed to check my password. I re-entered my password but it kept saying that it could not verify the password.

I got on the internet and verified that I could log on to Hotmail through Outlook and it worked.

I finally sorted it out, but only after a failed support phone call where I was advised to upgrade my OS to Catalina.

First I removed the old hotmail account and added Microsoft Exchange with my Outlook password
But that in and off itself did not help.

So, grabbing at straws, I went to Mail >Preferences>Accounts and selected "Microsoft Exchange"

From that menu I selected "Server Settings" and was prompted to select a TSL certificate which is required by Mail to access the accounts password via the Keychain list.

Presto!! I could send as well as receive emails through my Hotmail account.

That was at around 1:00 PM

Funny thing is it didn't effect messaging from my iPhone. Well, actually it wasn't funny.

Hector

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Each time my father updates his Mac to the latest Mac OS, I have to go through and turn OFF the automatic sync with iCloud, and make sure no other settings were changed (they always are).

Apple used to be good, it was a stable OS on which one could install whatever email client / browser etc one wanted to use, and iCloud was an option. Now iCloud is how they (and MS with oneDrive) are doing everything they can to slurp up your data and all of your documents/photos, while also making it more and more difficult to install anything "not Apple approved" or "not MS approved". It's fucking bullshit.

I first noticed this when I updated my iPhone 4s to the last/latest iOS it would take, and all of my music disappeared, replaced by a Cloud icon next to it in the list. It, and all my data on the phone including Contact, was automatically uploaded to iCloud (I was never asked if I wanted to do that, it just did it, sure it was buried in the EULA, but that's not the same as confirming slurping up all of my data).

The day after that, I went to a independent phone OS and switched to Linux as my laptop OS.

Top Bottom