Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

saving battery

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Heddy Boubaker, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Heddy Boubaker

Heddy Boubaker

hi, I'm the new owner of a corvette 5 str bass and have a little question about preamp and batteries. It seems that the preamp eat a lot of battery, the last one I changed was only 10 days duration... maybe there is a trick to save battery when I do not use the bass: pulling the volume knob or removing the jack when the bass is on it's stand ? any advice ?

thanks in advance

2. Alexandre

Alexandre Production Manager Assistant

Plugging the jack switches the circuitry on... You should unplug it when you're done playing, it'll dramatically help :)

3. Heddy Boubaker

Heddy Boubaker

Thanks a lot Alexandre, I'm sure it will help ;-)

4. Gastrok

Gastrok

battery life will go from 2 weeks to maybe 2 years. LOL

5. Augie

Augie The Desert Bass-ape

I think the 90% of the time i need to chance my batteries is when i forget to unplug the bass. they last AGES if you remember to pull the plug.

6. xandertee

xandertee

I for one can tell you that the MEC preamp seems to eat my batteries, but right now I only have MEC preamps so I cannot compare. My experience is that you will go through two batteries a month if you actually play your bass and unplug it when you're done. I am not fortunate enough to have a nice studio space to leave my axes on stands, so when I'm done they immediately go back in the gig bag or case. Also, having an Active Pickup and Active preamp will eat juice more than Passive Pups and Active Pre, at least it seems like that logic prevails in my corner "studio".

With that said, my MEC 2 band is coming out of my Corvette Proline and I'm going to try out a Stellartone Tonestyler tone pot. I'm over the whole active thing. So I am bringing my bias to this post. If you don't play live and don't need to adjust for room acoustics there is no reason for it. The sound of the bass itself and not what the electronics do for you is what should matter. Ironically a Streamer STD fretless taught me this, after years of active basses starting with a Stingray.

7. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Heddy,

Pleat let us know if the plug thing does help. We had debates before on this topic and some guys here said that the power consumption when pluged is not THAT big. I personally think two weeks for a battery is too short, even if you let your cable in. Do you use good alkaline batteries? Try Duracell Alkaline please!

8. Augie

I recon i used a couple batteries per month with maybe 2-8 hours per week use when the jack was wired backwards and it was continuously draining. If thats what you are going through i would check your wiring. most basses more than 10 years old will probably have had a jack change ( and plenty at 5 years old) so your prob might lie with a slack tech (like i had)

9. The ShadowKnight

The ShadowKnight

My Battery lasts me already around 2 years and I have a 2 band MEC with treble boosted, playing bout an hour a day.... feels a bit odd for it to fail so quick...

10. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

The battery in my Infinity has been working for 15 months and counting... and I always use the EQ pots.

11. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

I never had to change a battery in any of my Warwicks yet and have been playing them about since I joined this forum.

12. Heddy Boubaker

Heddy Boubaker

So I should check my jack then my battery will last for months, for now I'll just try to think to remove the cable when stop playing... ok thanks guys. Will be back here when my current battery will die, and tell you. BTW DiMarco I feel very strange that your battery last for 2 years !!!! maybe your bass is a passive one ;-) (just joking')

13. siderocks

siderocks Fatass

Mine lasts about 6 months and I usually play unplugged.

14. Augie

15. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

And again... - DURACELL ALKALINE! There are many kind of batteries that will not last too long.

16. Heddy Boubaker

Heddy Boubaker

So, Here I'm back again, since my last post I conscientiously unplugged the cable after playing and had no batteries problem, yesterday night I just leave the bass on it's stand with jack plugged and today... no more batteries... so no doubt for me plugged jack cables eat batteries during the night just when you sleep ;-)

17. Nachobassman

Nachobassman Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!

You just applied the cientific method. The only thing you forgot was a control to have a valid experiment: A bass with the same kind of battery, unplugged. :D

On a more serious note, that bass sure eats batteries, I´ve left my bass plugged unintencionaly during the nite and the battery did not dry out.

18. StoneAje

StoneAje Warwick Endorser

I am not sure if you have a problem, but keeping it plugged in just speeds things up, but that's what it sounds like to me. Either way I would never leave it plugged in no matter what electronics are in it! I was always taught since I was young to unplug everything and take off your strap when you're done. I have heard too many horror stories about people catching cords with their feet and breaking necks. Not with my 'wick!

19. golem

golem Philosopher King

At least you now know that your jack is NOT wired in reverser. Thaz good ....

`