Rockbass Vs. Fender?

Reaction score
I'm not considering a Fender for my next bass at this stage, I'm just curious how an RB Corvette would compare to Fender Jazz Standards. Two jazz pickups, alder body and the rosewood on maple neck... all these features they share. Are they comparable in tone and feel? How about construction? The large variety of options the Corvette has is very appealing, while Fender has all sorts of variations of the Jazz Bass with different varieties of electronics. Problem with Fender being the variation in price, though it's still a bit cheaper than the RB if you're going for a Mexican standard.

They also don't offer a fretless five string, or a body that's as appealing to me as that of the Corvette.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
I do think that the Mexican Fenders have better value than the American Fenders, generally speaking. You can get great Fender sound from these good priced Mexican basses. I tested the Rockbass Corvette passive, and Streamer Standard single pickup (that's the cheapest Rockbass), and they didn't sound anything Fender like. The Corvette has an Alder body, but the Streamer has a Carolena body. The Streamer has a very unique sweet and warm sound, and I seriously loved it. I think both Rockbass and Mexican Fenders have good value, and have a sound of their own. I'd say their equally good, and it just depends on what kind of sound you want. :D

Reaction score
I do think that the Mexican Fenders have better value than the American Fenders, generally speaking.

I really disagree here, but guess it's a individual matter. I agree though that you can get a good tone from the Mex. ones too.

Personally I'd go for a Fender. I really don't like Rockbass. At least the ones I've heard. They might be better quality or have a better playability - I just dislike their tone and sound.

Reaction score
Indianerdaniel said:
I do think that the Mexican Fenders have better value than the American Fenders, generally speaking.

I really disagree here, but guess it's a individual matter. I agree though that you can get a good tone from the Mex. ones too.

What's your opinion about American Fenders that give them better value than the Mexican Fenders ?? Is it the sound or built quality...........Or something else ??

P.S. Isn't Squier the Rockbass equivalent of Fender (instead of the Mexican Fender) ??

Reaction score
Maybe it could be the equivalent of Squier, but Squiers are alot cheaper, with Rockbass being a bit more expensive than cheaper Fenders. Although their Streamers appear to be cheaper all around.

Reaction score
ThirdthumB said:
Indianerdaniel said:

What's your opinion about American Fenders that give them better value than the Mexican Fenders ?? Is it the sound or built quality...........Or something else ??

P.S. Isn't Squier the Rockbass equivalent of Fender (instead of the Mexican Fender) ??

I've heard a couple of really good sounding Mex. but they are further apart than the decent/good sounding American ones. I also find the Americans a bit more sturdy. That's my 2 cent. The Mex guitars are great though - I'm just not that sure about the basses... You can make a good find though with the Mex. Basses.

Again Squiers are cheaper - But if you can get your hands on an older one I've heard they should be really good!

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I like them both, but they don't sound the same. Consider Rockbass to be a baby Warwick, it has that specific sound, while the fenders are... fenders.
If you like a Fender buy a Fender. If you like a Warwick and you don't have all the money for a real one, buy a Rockbass.

Reaction score
I like Fender and all, but my Squier should do just fine for now. :D I never knew that the Rockbass approximated the Warwick sound though, what with the standard wood choices. I suppose it's the pickups then?

Reaction score
ge7243 said:
I like Fender and all, but my Squier should do just fine for now. :D I never knew that the Rockbass approximated the Warwick sound though, what with the standard wood choices. I suppose it's the pickups then?

With my experience, I don't think that the sound is similar to that of a Warwick. It's more like that it has some soundfeatures that are similar to that of a Warwick........ 8)

Reaction score
In my experience,RB's have less dead spots than any Fender I've owned or played.
Early on,I thought RB's were crap,mainly coz the early spray jobs were pretty rough & I assumed if they couldnt paint a bass properly,how could they possibly build it well.

Reaction score
my rockbass sounds quite a bit like my warwick (same model, etc...) just not as extreme. The wick has the rockbass tone, but with added growl and tighter mids. The playability of a real warwick is what i'm most pleased about... don't get me wrong, the rockbass is amazing. i still play it and i'm actually refinishing it right now (don't try this... it takes a LONG time)... warwicks are just something else.

Reaction score
There really is no comparison!

Go ahead and try a side by side comparison of ANY fender bass to a RB. I have done extensive comparisons to my 72' P-bass to my new RBs. Granted, my 72' P-bass is worth some $ and it looks VERY cool hanging on my wall, but for sound and feel, there truly is no comparison whatsoever! Go to a music store, use the same amp, try them both, the RB will win in every detail except name recognition. On the issue of name recognition to the general population (Not experienced bass players), nothing can beat a Fender.

But talk to experienced bass players, the BEST bass available is a Warwick,,, and not a distant 2nd is RB,,, which is made for Warwick.

If your only going to own one or two basses and your on a budget, buy RB.. It will be $ well spent!

Mike

Reaction score
i'd take a RB over a fender, they play better, sound better...but depends on the fender but enven then the fender is never miles better only ocationally crisper.

and you never get a duff RB unlike some fenders...

Reaction score
Re: There really is no comparison!

StudioMan said:
Go ahead and try a side by side comparison of ANY fender bass to a RB. I have done extensive comparisons to my 72' P-bass to my new RBs. Granted, my 72' P-bass is worth some $ and it looks VERY cool hanging on my wall, but for sound and feel, there truly is no comparison whatsoever! Go to a music store, use the same amp, try them both, the RB will win in every detail except name recognition. On the issue of name recognition to the general population (Not experienced bass players), nothing can beat a Fender.
Mike

You're joking right? If not that's fair enough, but I strongly disagree. :)

Reaction score
IMO
fender and warwick (RB)
cant be compared like : which one is better, but should be compared like: which one can do special things better?
i think to argue about the sound is senseless, cause its such a personal impression

and if 1 million people say a bass is crap there will be still one that finds it amazing (or at least great)

Reaction score
On the issue of name recognition i agree, it really is quite a joke that the amount of people that preach ' fenders are the best bass'es ever'. and the thing i hate the most is their crappy povo pickups 'instant hate".

i feel like burning my squire jazz.

Reaction score
I have a american jazz bass and the build quality is perfect.And the action is as good as any of my wicks.And it can with a good hard case.With that being said I like my my warwick's better.I prefer the ones with wenge necks.Back to fender vs rockbass the necks feel totaly different and a p-bass neck is wider and thinner and really feels different.I played a p-bass for years and it took a while to get used to my warwick's.I would go with a rockbass because the necks feel the same as a warwick and the rockbass is as good as the mexican fenders.

Reaction score
Yup - I'd put my Rockbass Corvette right next to any Mexi Jazz in terms of build quality, fit and finish.

You may not like it as much, or you may like it better.

That's all about personal preference.

;)

maddrakkett

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Fenders are fine basses and have the history to prove it (as well as a bunch of copycats and wannabes who only know how to follow trends). Fenders are also the first, and sometimes only, choice of many top studios and producers. And there's something about seeing certain favorite artists working their great mojo on a Jazz or a P-Bass.

I even bought a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz, because it resembled Marcus Miller's bass a little, and it was cheap, but looked and played great. I wanted that old skool Funk and R&B look and sound, and while I missed the mark by not having a P-Bass, that Squire Jazz still fit the bill nicely, at half the price of a RockBass. I also feel the quality of the Squire Vintage Modified series is at least up there with Fender MIM basses...

That said, I have since traded off the Squire and replaced it with an SSI 4-string with a P/J setup. Now, that's not a fair comparison - more like apples to oranges, but if I were to go the low price route again, I would now choose a RockBass Fortress, even though it costs more than the Squire VM basses. I have become a total Warwick loyalist after experiencing the look, feel, tone, and quality of each of my 6 'Wicks, and the way Hans Peter and Company and Dana B. Goods treat their customers is unparallel in the industry! Plus, even the RockBass line offers more variety of models than Fender or Squire, and I can get the P/J sound and a great look in the Fortress at equal or better build quality to a VM Squire or a MIM Fender. And the RockBass is a smaller footprint (body size/shape, smaller 2+2 headstock) than the Fender/Squire, so it's easier to carry in a nice RockBag and navigate onstage...

Top Bottom