Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Rockbass Streamer STD 5 pickups issue?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by yustech, Mar 3, 2015.

1. yustech

yustech

Forgive me Mr Florin sir.May I ask how many version Warwick Streamer Std 5 are there from 2011 to 2015? My apology if wrote the model wrong here.Are there two version of this Rockbass Streamer STD 5? a hot and weak version? Is there anyone here from Warwick technical dept understood what this post is about?

Dear Mr Valdo Hansal,kindly take note if you or any of your rep here that I have left an inquiry at your site because I saw no DC resistance data on your MEC Vintage Humbucker.Kindly enlighten us about the matter

Dear DemBonez,you can argue about perfection until the cow grow old.Its a subjective matter.I'm un interested to pursue it.2 things for sure,you didn't read this post thoroughly and the other is "FUNCTIONALITY".Something you failed to understand from the very beginning

yustech

2. DemBoneZ

DemBoneZ Supporting Member

Relax I was talking about the output

3. yustech

yustech

Enclosed are pictures from the problematic Rockbass Streamer Standard 5.I hope the pickups factory code and the bass serial number would assist both Mr Valdo and Warwick China manufacturing in tightening their QC standard and passion.

weak2.jpg Esp012.jpg Esp013.jpg weak.jpg

4. yustech

yustech

No worries DemBonez.All good here.My apology for misunderstanding you comment.

5. Charmand G

Charmand G

Check out this video:

[video=youtube;DHFLNe6IOnE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHFLNe6IOnE[/video]

If this bass cause you too much frustration, I would sell it and save up for something else. For a measly 100$ extra, you could take the Rockbass Corvette with a hotter output. You could also swap the entire onboard circuit, with f.ex. passive EMG`s + tone control.

6. yustech

yustech

Thanks for the link Charmand G.

It does sound loud and beautiful in the video.However the problem was solved by replacing the pots as mentioned in much above post.My condolence goes the owner of the problematic Rockbass Streamer standard 5 bearing the serial number in the photos.My frustration now is likely towards Warwick for releasing this bass to the consumer in which I believe is deem unfit for its purpose.Also towards MEC for not detailing their pickups technical specification.

In my opinion this bass is fantastic provided its fitted with pickups 6k DC Re and 250k pots.

This is a good forum for Warwick users/buyer/sellers/repairers.I'm glad I registered.I hope the manufacturer take note of what's been shared here.

Thank you
    yustech

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  7. AsturHero

AsturHero

for me, it is natural, that the STreamer RB Std has only 25K pots instead of normally used 250K pot in passive mode.
    That for making a real difference between the very first basic Wick to the other "better" Wicks.
    in economics, an entry level bass can not be the same quality build and "higher" output as an 1500€ or 3000 € Wick ;) ;)
    If you buy an A-Class Mercedes, you can't expect an Mercedes SLS 600, even its from the same company ;)

There are 2 cheap solutions, for the weak output of and STD STreamer RB:
    buy for 5-8 € good 250 K pots and solder it in, or an cheap preamp and all is good...

8. What makes 25K pots natural? I've never taken a passive of any brand apart which used that weird value. I like the sound of the pickups, but I'm going to try 250ks and compare. I'm sure they'll still be vintage voiced.:lol:

9. Hardy

Hardy Good Vibe Sponsor

Post some before/after sound samples, that would be great!

10. AsturHero

AsturHero

sorry, my english is very poor,
    with natural i wanted to say, that i think it was the intention/aim from Warwick, to put on 25K pots to make the RB Std weaker as the normal Streamers ;)

11. yustech

yustech

Dear Mr AsturHero.I am for your upper most comprehension is no expert in the automotive industry(Mercedes vs Mercedes) nor am I well verse in the agriculture sector(apple vs orange)

My obligation to my paymaster was to seek clarity about his Rockbass Streamer Std 5 DC Resistance and the pots that it came with.

I have to agree on your point about difference offering made by manufacturers in their product in order to accurately classify from basic to flagship.This I have seen done(or directed) by one californian and still as far as I'm aware is still on going.

For example I found some squier bass that's fitted with 500k pots in order for it to not sound like its higher teer where its bassy and right.I find this practice is acceptable as 250k/500k or even 1Meg are workable and tolerable in the passive electronics realm.However the pickups were never wounded under 4k but would likely be within a single coil parameters.Most player get by just fine as it is so.Changing the electronics are mostly done by preference but never by its flaw in nature.

Warwick/MEC should aware that the use of 25k pots is meant for active system(EMG's at least)..An avid Warwick buyer may get by with it until he gets the real deal but in a real situation such as in store where try before buy,this bass would likely to turn off many interest when compared to other sub 500 makes.In my opinion Warwick is ruining this model with wrong electronics in order to sell the real Wick.I may equate this particular Rockbass to a Mercedes with 6000cc that's outputting only 1000cc of power.Something is definitely wrong somewhere.Maybe weak bass is the hip thing for today?I don't know.

I see you have a good collection of basses yourself Mr AsturHero.If it isn't any trouble may I know the pots and dc resistance of your passive basses?

Killer Canary - you should get a set of 500k's too.You may like it more.Hehe.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
  12. yustech

yustech

I just found out Warwick has excellent schematic support page.Its not an error by the chinese factory as I thought before but instead its official directive from Warwick that this model be fitted with such controversial pots and caps .

Rockbass Streamer STD 4 n 5.jpg

13. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Well, that's basically what I tried to tell you. And it might be not everybody's cup of tea, but it is his decision, and it is not the only thing we do different than other brands.
    And no, we do not sabotage our entry level instruments. It is also not the only instrument with an insane low output in our arsenal, the very expensive Hellborg Signature bass is the same.

14. AsturHero

AsturHero

but i can't understand, why they complain the ppl so much... the solution is very cheap:
    buy an cheap preamp
    or
    change the pots and capacitor.....

and with an preamp you can improve other basses too....

15. DemBoneZ

DemBoneZ Supporting Member

Something else I don't get either and I guess it's becuase I've never held one of these in my hands. If the output is low - turn up the volume? Isn't that why there are those little dials on amps called gain and volume? Why, I even got a gain, volume and master volume. The output level options are endless!

I guess unless ur playing with a 50w or less amp

Yes there is a hint of sarcasm.

16. AsturHero

AsturHero

hi Dem,
    sure u are right, but often a Bass.Player with an RB STreamer STd. is an Beginner, and Beginner usually have no big rigs or amps..

f.ex. i have only an 40 Watts Warwick Combo.
    In conjunction with low Output and small amp, it can be frustrated, if the bass has low output..but i have written 2 solutions.
    I love the SOund of my Streamer STd. but without improvments it is not satisfying ;)

another example:

without an preamp it is not really possible to get a good tone or enought output to play the Std. into an USB-Interface via PC or the DAW.
    f.e. without preamp and full Gain on my USB-Interface, Volume full at the STreamer i diddn't get even a green light signal from the Interface.
    At the other Hand, my new Vantage passive P-BAss, at half GAin on the Interface and full Volume at BAss, i can't play, because the Interface clips and stays red, during playing ;)

17. Hardy

Hardy Good Vibe Sponsor

I hate low output. I just hate it! For my requirements a bass has to be a powerful instrument. A low output is just counter-productive to this. Ofc other people have other demands. But I don´t get this "vintage" agument. The Star Bass sounds vintage as ♣♣♣♣, still has enough output level. My Rockbass Streamer Std. fretless didn´t.

18. AsturHero

AsturHero

if u look at the replacement prices at Warwick for these "Vintage" PU it's a shame...
    but it's not the end of the world..with "low" costs you can made the RB Std. "Adult"

19. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

True! So you need to buy your instrument according to your needs. I am a huge Corvette Basic Active fan, and I don't think I will ever need a Streamer Std, so I will not buy it :)

20. Hardy

Hardy Good Vibe Sponsor

The buyer of my Rockbass Streamer fretless standard (it was a very beautyful instrument btw!) wrote me some weeks later. He has two amps, one with 100 watts and a Markbass with 500 watts. He said the bass sounded only good played with the Markbass, but in this combination it would be perfect. So I wasn't happy, he is.