Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Rockbass Streamer STD 5 pickups issue?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by yustech, Mar 3, 2015.

1. yustech

yustech

Hello all,

I just sign up and unsure whether its proper for a new guy to straight post anything here.I have this Warwick Rockbass Steamer Standar 5 that was sent for a setup.There was also complaints about the pickup output(very low).
    Upon measurement with the DMM,both pickups showed approx 1.6kohm.This is something I never encounter before.A check on MEC site doesn't indicate MEC Vintage Humbucker M60160 actual DC Resistance.An email to Warwick was sent and their reply was that its normal for these pickups to have such readings.For now I'm quiet doubtful about that.

Could any Rockbass owner or any tech here kindly enlighten me about this.

Please notify me if my post is in the wrong section of this forum.

Thank you
    yustech

2. Hardy

Hardy Good Vibe Sponsor

Hi mate!

These pus have a low output, it is how it is. Some guys here can give you advice for cheap solutions to boost the sound with a pedal.

RIP likes this.
  3. AsturHero

AsturHero

these Vintage MEC HUmbuckers have this low output.
    One inprovement is to buy very high magnetic strings, like DAddario XL Pro Steels EPS165,
    but better mor efficient solution is to buy a cheap preamp.

For example the Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC 100 is an very cheap but very versatile little Preamp, that works like a charm with these Vintage Humbuckers.. it riases dramatically the low Output and + you can add Gain a little disto if you want...

http://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_mic100_tube_ultragain_micpreamp.htm

if you like Tube boosted Sound, you can improve again this little preamp with an better tube.

RIP likes this.
  4. yustech

yustech

Hello Hardy and AsturHero

Thanks for your reply.I very agree its audibly lower than any generic pickup.The thing that bugs me is its DC Resistance value.Should it be at approx 1.6kohm each.

Hey AsturHero,since you have an RB Streamer 4..would you mind sharing your pickup DC Resistance.?
    I be grateful.

Thanks

5. AsturHero

AsturHero

..sorry have no DMM in da House...must buy one if i continue in refurbishing old Babys ;)

6. Hello Yustech,
    I have an '06 Streamer Standard; both pickups measure 1000ohms.
    They sound so nice that I wouldn't dream of changing them.

7. yustech

yustech

1k to 1.6k.Taking into account a possible -/+40% tolerance.That should be close enough Killer Canary.Maybe its supposed to be that way.Never cross my mind into replacing it.I don't know any company that makes the same pickup shape....

Anyway..been doing some googling.There's mention's about the stock pot being 25kohm for all.Didn't realized the one I'm working on are too.All I could see was B2(the rest covered by solder).I thought it must be 250kohm.After I suck up all the solder.All revealed B25k,B25 and A25k..

Wired the pickup straight to the amp and it does improve the output level.Deciding whether to go for 250k or 500k..Which is better for this Rockbass?What say you?

However,one thing still boggles me.From my experience.Isn't 25k pots meant for active system in general? Is this an ongoing mistake turned standard? Haha

Many thanks to all that replied here.Thumbs up.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  8. To my knowledge, 250k is generally standard for bass; 500k for guitar. 500k allegedly offer slightly better treble response.

9. Charmand G

Charmand G

With the 250k on the $$, and 500k on Corvette Basics, I register a wider response on the latter. You don`t get that high treble on the $$.

10. yustech

yustech

Good points Killer Canary and Charmand G.

I'm going to buy 3 pcs 250k pots(generic ones) since its a bass.
    I'm going to buy 3 pcs 500k pots(generic ones) too since the pickup is call vintage HUMBUCKER.

Will let my client try both,see which sets he likes.After that I persuade him to go for set of CTS.Hehe

Thanks for the valuable advices.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  11. yustech

yustech

The client went for 500k.Now he's more pleased and satisfied with the output level.The tone cap will be change to 47nF.
    Any suggestions?

12. I didn't give the pots on mine a second glance; I just assumed that they were a bog standard 250K.
    It's just now dawned on me that the number you posted wasn't a typo.
    25K? Really?:|

13. yustech

yustech

14. yustech

yustech

Hello,

Recently serviced another 2014 Rockbass Streamer STD.The pots still 25k changed to 250k.This one has a measurement of 6.2k DC Resistance at the pickups.Hmmm.....

15. shaftbass

shaftbass

What are the acceptable parameters you're hoping to see?

16. AsturHero

AsturHero

normally if you change a 25k to an 250k in an passive Bass, the output must increase a little bit and having more treble imo

17. yustech

yustech

Hello and good question Mr Shaftbass.

First of all the all,a consistency in the electronics dept.I did email Warwick and MEC but only the former replied.According to Mr Florence Wilfer of Warwick without giving the technical details

" Please note that the output is very low as they are Vintage voiced.Pickups with very low output. So they it should be OK."

While I may not have tried and measured all basses that was invented,I somehow sensed something or two are wrong here.First lets go as far vintage as we could.I believe the Fxxxxr J's and P's and others unknown brand paved the way for other electric basses.Did these vintages axe use irregular wounded pickup that varies from 1k to 1.6k then to 6k?Did any of them used 25k pots in its chain?

I do not intend to shame Warwick on this matter but the reply given was nothing close to acceptable for me to pass to my client that have AB tested his Rockbass with a cheap SX bass.The SX was choose for his recording work.The need to spend money for preamp and what other boosting capability tooling shouldn't arise in the first place.The initial output is already weak(vintage) for any bassist to work with.
    Since then I advise all my client that intend to buy this model to also bring a Multimeter.Buy only the ones that has a DC Resistance of 6k or more.Nevermind the pots,that I can replace for them later.

I am a noobie who repairs stuff,inquire the manufacturer for assistance and in the end of the day report to the paymaster(players) that seek my help.

yustech

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  18. You're right; the answer you were given is a non-answer.
    My logic is working exactly the same as yours in this case.

19. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Supporting Member

Mr Vlado Hansal that is behind MEC electronics and pickups is with Warwick since beginning, and he built pickups for Framus before that. He is really passionate about his work, and he has his own approach when building pickups and electronics. The Rockbass series have many models, if you want hot pickups and growly sound you should look for a different model. I think this one is supposed to sound as it does. I like Streamer Standard for what it is, a fat mellow instrument, and I think it is a mistake to buy it to get a different sound later.

20. DemBoneZ

DemBoneZ

and they are also $150 aus on the used market and around $500 new. You cant expect perfection at that price.