Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Rockbass Decisions, Assistance required

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Siddharth Merchant, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Siddharth Merchant

Siddharth Merchant

Hey,
    So I'm gonna be going in for my first rockbass,
    And I'm torn between a Vampyre and Corvette $$
    I play a lot of jazz, funk, Primus kinda stuff more finger picking oriented stuff.
    I Do occasionally session out for metal bands. Also i love playing some nice solos.
    And the metal bands i session for require some sweeps/shreds whatever you wanna call it.
    So basically i need a bass that can go from jazz to metal.
    What would you recommend? Also I cannot try them out as they are not available in stores where i live.

Also on another note, is there a rockbass Fortress 2012 Model? The website says it is available but there is no option to look at one like there for the other basses. Also an estimated price would be nice too!

Thanks for looking into this!
    -Regards

2. Stroud

Stroud

The corvette is the more versitile of the two because of all the pickup switching options. The Vampyre is probably the more articulate bass though (partly due to the pickups but I'm not sure what affect that alder has).

3. Warwick Official

Warwick Official

4. markoism

markoism

The Corvette and Fortress are my favourites. Either one should suit your needs.

5. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

The Corvette $$ is a beautiful bass. I love mine, but I have to say that it is not as versatile as the Vampyre. It will handle jazz and funk just fine, but depending on the type of metal you want to play it may not be articulate enough for you. The highs are somewhat muted I find which works for me but I'm not sure it will have a wide enough range of tones for you.

I would also consider the Rockbass Corvette Basic, an amazing bass and tonally extremely versatile too! Not as pointy as the Vampyre which might aesthetically suit the jazz genre a little more. I'm not sure how important the looks are to you - obviously the Vampyre will fit right in to the metal scene visually, but I'm not sure how it would work in a jazz trio. Tonally the Vampyre will cover all the genres you mentioned. I do love the J/TJ pickup configuration!

:D

6. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Siddhrt, and welcome to the forum, bro.

Well, I will be the first to tell you here that the $$ is probably not the best for Claypol stuff. It has all the pickups switches, but it's sound is fat and it can be boomy. You need a fast and articulated bass.
    Vampyre and Streamer LX are the best options, but also Corvette and Fortress (active pickup version) are nice too...

Cheers,
    Flo

7. Siddharth Merchant

Siddharth Merchant

Hey thanks for the link,
    what got me confused was here it says:

Fortress

Bolt-on
    Available as 4- or 5-string

and when you scroll down the page, where you can see the different finishes and 4/5 string versions the options are:
    4-string Burgundy Red Oil fretted rosewood
    4-string Natural Satin fretted rosewood
    4-string Honey Violin Oil fretted rosewood.
    So, is there a 5 string model available?

8. Warwick Official

Warwick Official

Yes, the Fortress 5 is available! Where are you located, and perhaphs I can point you in the right direction...I've just checked with our US distributor and he has plenty of them. Thanks!