RockBass Club

BassPlyr Randy

Long Winded SOB
Reaction score
For those of you that haven't found it yet, we now have a RockBass club just like our actual German made brethern. It's located with the social groups under the community tab at the top of the page. Here's a link since your already here.

So all you RockBass owners, come join the RockBass Club and post them pics of all those beautiful RockBasses.

Reaction score
I'm still getting used to the software, I'll join pretty soon. As an owner of both German Warwicks and Rockbasses I can attest that Rockbasses are not cheap Warwicks, but an alternative. They're great basses, I'll not sell mine that's for sure.

Myh

Reaction score
Myh RockBass experience (Part 1)

sb1.jpg

Warwick RB Star Bass, 5 string, 2017, before reworks/upgrades

sb2.jpg

Warwick RB Star Bass, 5 string, after reworks/upgrades – Front

sb3.jpg

Warwick RB Star Bass, 5 string, after reworks/upgrades - Back

Specifications:

Machine heads (upgrade): Hipshot HB6 - 3/8" Ultralite® Mini Clover
Nut: Just-A.Nut III
Neck Wood: Maple neck with Ekanga veneer stripes
Fretboard: Wenge fingerboard
Inlay (upgrade): White pearl block stickers
Truss rod cover (upgrade): White pearloid (home made)
Fingerboard Radius: 26”
Scale length: 34” (long scale)
Width Nut: 45 mm / 1,75”
Width 12th fret: 61,7 mm / 2,43”
Width 21th fret: 67,7 mm / 2,67”
Fret quantity material: 21 Extra High Jumbo Nickel silver frets Body Shape: Curved
Bodywood (Topwood /Backwood): Laminated Maple Body, back, sides and top
Color: Solid Daphne Blue High Polish Finish
Pickups: Passive vintage MEC Single coil Pickups (neck & bridge)
Electronics: Passive
Pot layout: Volume (neck) / volume (bridge) / tone (neck) / tone (bridge)
Pot knobs (upgrade): Gibson chrome
Switch: 3-way toggle switch (pickup selection)
Bridge system: 2-piece Warwick Bridge
Strap system (upgrade): Dunlop dual design
Construction: Set-neck
Hardware color: Chrome
String label / gauges: GHS Custom Shop flatwound strings 045” – 126”
Weight: 3,73 kg (after machine head change)
Gigbag: RockBag Starline RB 20511

Myh

Reaction score
Myh RockBass experience (Part 2)

sb4.jpg

Hipshot HB6 - 3/8" Ultralite® Mini Clover machine heads. White pearloid truss rod cover

sb5.jpg

Dunlop dual design strap system

sb6.jpg

Gibson chrome top hat style knobs (Les Paul 2017)

Reworks/upgrades:

Neck/frets: Smoothed the fret edges
Machine heads: Changed for Hipshot HB6 - 3/8" Ultralite® Mini Clover
(special order), enhancing the vintage look and due to neck dive
Inlays: Added white pearl block stickers, enhancing the vintage look
Truss rod cover: Changed for homemade white pearloid, enhancing the vintage look
Bridge system: Had to route an extra 2,5 mm deeper pocket for the bridge to allow the right string hight for myh liking
Knobs: Changed for Gibson chrome knobs, enhancing the vintage look
Strap system: Changed for Dunlop dual design, enhancing the vintage look and because I have Dunlops on all my other Warwicks
String label/gauges: GHS Custom Shop flatwound strings 045” – 126”, for old school sound

I was pleasantly surprised by the workmanship, finish and sound of this beautiful and playful instrument.
After the above-mentioned adjustments and upgrades,
I took it out for a gig with a 60’s -70’s band, where I was hired as a stand in. The band complimented the sound and look of the Star Bass.

This will not be myh last RockBass project.

Myh

Reaction score
Taking care of the Star Bass neck dive. Myh RockBass experience (Part 3)

I always felt a little uncomfortable with the Star Bass neck dive, although trying to compensate a little with the issue when installing new Hipshot light weight tuners (for that vintage look). It didn’t do that much.

I could not help but notice that the Lee Sklar Star Bass has a more pronounced upper horn with a strap button on it. So, I tried to find a way to reinforce the light wood of the upper horn to cope with a strap button, when I came across this link:

Moving the strap button on an Epiphone Jack Casady to the upper horn (Advice)

In this link, Stewblack (thanks to Stewblack) refers to another link:

Strap Button on ES Guitars

Bottom line: I followed the instruction and got my strap button fixed at the upper horn, and I could not be happier with the solution, the neck dive is almost gone and it is so much more comfortable to play the Star Bass. I wish Warwick would consider moving the strap button to the horn as upgrade for all future Star Bass’.

While making the Star Bass more comfortable playing, I made an armrest to take the sharpness of the edge of the bass when resting my underarm on the bass, it works very well, and I can highly recommend using an arm rest at acoustic and semi acoustic guitars and basses.

I used Loctite epoxy glue and Dulop straplocks (dual design strap at the horn and flush mounting type strap at the end)

Pics:

SBhorn1.jpg

SBend1.jpg

SBbalance1.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
F5789E0D-AABD-44E7-A262-348EF9E9C253.jpeg
Hey,

my first Warwick bass was Rockbass Vampyre, I still love it and it sounds really good!

I am thinking about selling it, as I don’t play it almost ever (got too addicted to my teambuild Corvette), but when I just look at it, I don’t know if I can let it go lol

Attachments

• 7918FDE0-5A14-4023-A6E1-9AF5B40CAC01.jpeg
    7918FDE0-5A14-4023-A6E1-9AF5B40CAC01.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 153
Reaction score
I have a rock bass it's probably close to 20 years old sounds and plays great .... BUT one day it just wouldn't make a sound? has anyone else had the same problem. do i need to re-wire it or change the pickups.
where can i purchase harness kit or pickups for it?

Attachments

• 20211122_175845.jpeg
    20211122_175845.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 95
Top Bottom