RIP Chris Squire

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
The world has just lost a total bass icon. I have no words.

Reaction score
thats sooo sad... impressive man and player..may he rock in heaven

[video]https://youtu.be/FHFox6wyXfw[/video]

PaulS

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Been a bad couple of years for our bass heroes. RIP Chris

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I am so sad right now. A lot of great players our there, few of them totally irreplaceable. We just lost a Bass God.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
To me, Chris redefined rock bass playing in the late sixties. I know there was already John Entwistle and Jack Bruce who played somewhat in that direction but with Chris there was more to his playing. In the same year Yes appeared we also saw Led Zeppelin hit the crowd and the Beatles had their White Album appear. It was 1968, the year of my birth. Yes played prog already without knowing it.

Besides having that gnarly, biting rock sound this bassist was doing stuff within the songs that were simply jaw dropping. Weaving melodies and rhythms the other bandmembers were playing together with his bass while constantly playing little songs within the song, making them phase in and out of each other while complementing some other part happening in the music and always, always having emotion in his playing.

Chris Squire is one of the pioneers who made prog that wasn't just for musicians while inventing the genre. This music was real, alive, emotional and beautiful. Some of his stuff from the early seventies is just mind boggling. How does one even come up with bass parts this great?

I was just a kid in the seventies and really grew up in the eighties but I pretty much disliked all music that was on the radio in that dreadful decade where everything was killed by stupid reverbs and tons of keyboards. Guitars were apparently out of fashion. So I listened to Yes, Pink Floyd and Manfred Mann's earth band (music my dad listened to) while hating Miami Vice and Dallas.

For the past 25 years when people asked me who's your favorite, who's the one you look up to most the answer has always been and will always be "Chris Squire".

Reaction score
DiMarco has perfectly expressed how I feel. I just learned this afternoon and it has ruined my day. An amazing bass player and someone to learn a lot from. RIP Chris

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Legendary player and I honestly had a very warm feeling about him as a person. RIP.

Nachobassman

Bass, Tapas, and Rn´R!
Reaction score
[video=youtube;cprcYnffK_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprcYnffK_o[/video]
Interesting video, nice hairdos too.

Top Bottom