Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Resurrected From 1979.....

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by JamHandy, Nov 8, 2019.

1. JamHandy

JamHandy

For my fellow musician's out there...

Resurrected from 1979...

- 1979 Anvil (brand) 4-Space rack
    - 1979 Ashly SC-40 Instrument Preamp
    - 20XX Symetrix 501 Compressor
    - 201X Crown XLS-1000 Power Amp
    - Home built, hand painted, 1x15" speaker cabinet
    - 1x15" Electro-Voice EVM Pro-Line 15L, 400 watt, freshly re-coned

Rocks hard with guitar or bass...

...I've owned the Anvil rack and Ashly preamp since new in 1979... had a tech go through the preamp and clean it up a couple years ago, works and runs fantastic... (I also have a 2nd Ashly preamp I bought in 1984...)

I just bought the Crown amp and the speaker cabinet. The EVM 15L had to be re-coned, so its as fresh as a daisy... the speaker cabinet I found at a local music store... its a home build but done right the first time...

Resurrected from 1979.jpg

Hoggles likes this.
  2. JamHandy

JamHandy

I thought I'd do this for anyone (like me) who likes to stare at knobs and jacks, LOL... These are stock photos or photos I got from either the web or Reverb or both... let's you see what this stuff can do etc etc... at least for the staring at knobs and jacks crowd...

The Ashl;y SC-40 Instrument Preamp front and back panels... very use-able 3-band parametric EQ
    SC-40 - 01 - front.jpg
    SC-40 - 02 - back.jpg

The Symetrix 501 Compressor front panel...
    Symetrix 501 - 01 - front.jpg
    (there is a 3 picture limit here, so next post will contin ue...)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  3. JamHandy

JamHandy

Symetrix 501 Compressor back panel...
    Symetrix 501 - 02 - back.jpg

Crown XLS-1000 Power Amp front and back panels...
    Crown XLS 1000 Power Amp - 01 (front).jpg
    Crown XLS 1000 Power Amp - 02 (rear).jpg

The Crown has several different ways for input... 1/4", XLR, and even an RCA input.

4. JamHandy

JamHandy

Power specs on the Crown (I have it set for Bridged Mono into the 8 ohm EVM 15L):
    Crown XLS-1000 Power Rating Chart (cropped).jpg

5. JamHandy

JamHandy

This system takes pedals very extremely well. I built this/put this together more for a bass rig, including the compressor... but in 1979, at age 17... this was my guitar rig (with a couple differences)... in 1979 I had the same Ashly Preamp and Anvil (brand) rack (before there was an "SKB"), coupled with a Roland SPA-120 2-space stereo power amp... and my only effects for guitar back then were a 1979 ProCo Rat (still have that, too) and a Thomas Organ Cry Baby... somewhere along about the same years I had a Mu-Tron Phasor II phase shifter, and a big chrome box Morley Pro Flanger (I still have the flanger, too)... I ran this into 2 - 1x12" cabinets loaded with 1x12" Electro-Voice Pro Line EVM 12S speakers (slightly higher frequency response than the more famous 12L's)

Here's a picture of the Anvil rack and both of my Ashly SC-40 preamps and the Roland SPA-120 power amp...the blue-faced Ashly is from 1979, the brownish/gray Ashly was bought in 1984... I still have both preamps and the rack case... the Roland amp got sold somewhere along the way but was a very stout piece with excellent specs... stickers on every side of the rack, LOL... from my travels across the universe...

Ashly preamp, Anvil case, Roland power amp.jpg

6. DiMarco

DiMarco nutcase Good Vibe Sponsor

KNOBS! HUAAAAAAAARGH!

7. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Syyymetrix one of my favourite compressors. If you can find one with toggle power switch, even better. Different VCA :)

8. JamHandy

JamHandy

The LED is burnt out on mine, other than that it works fine. Not sure how much fanaggling around it would take to fix the LED...

... I have a guy here locally that has 2 broken Symetrix 501's he said he would bless me with for free... I gotta catch back up to him and see if he was really serious or just passing gas....

Florin likes this.
  9. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

What I mean is Symetrix 501 has like 3 versions. and they are different. Nicest one is the old black face, toggle switch (not square push button). It has Valley People VCA, the new ones have DBX VCA. Also there are some transition ones that may have VP VCA, with round push button. I owned all of them, all of them are pretty nice. Old ones are smoother.

10. JamHandy

JamHandy

I was just doing the math and realized that this gear is 40 years old this year. Wow.

My passion for music and the gear that comes with it has been deep since my beginnings. My first guitar was a Christmas present in 1975 and its been an addiction since day one. On Christmas '75 I got a $44.00 dollar Hummingbird acoustic guitar clone. I think the first tune I eared out on it was "Hark the Herald Angel Sings" on the first string that same day, haha. I was 13 years old.

I was 17 in 1979 when I had the Ashly preamp rig. Back then it was just gear that they had at the music store that my guitar instructor recommended as cool stuff. I actually had no idea just how badass this stuff was until way later. Now they call it "vintage" gear but it was just brand new stuff when I was 17.

I didn't have many effects back then, but I did buy at the same time as the Ashly system, a 1979 ProCo Rat distortion. I still have tht pedal, too. It still rocks just like it did on day one. Now I hear that boutique pedal makers use the Rat as the basis for some of their distortion boxes. Now I hear its a "vintage" piece of gear that has a Motorola LM308 chip that is sought after. I saw some dude from Japan had one on eBay for like $1,000... WHAT ??? hahahaha
    ProCo Rat Distortion box settings - 01 (02-16-11).jpg
    That's what she looks like today. (JUst jamming on it yesterday, and realized the pots need a squirt of some cleaning stuff, they are a little scratchy, but it still rocks.) That pedal has traveled with me all over the country. It was my onky stomp bix for years and years. I think back in the day I did also have a Thomas Organ Cry Baby wah-wah. And somewhere there abouts 1981-1982-ish I had a Mu-tron Phasor II (I also once owned a Mu-Tron Bi-Phase), the Mu-Tron got sold some where, but I still have my Tel Ray Morley PFL Pro Flanger. IMHO one of the best flangers ever made...

That Rat pedal has been to... Michigan, where I bought it at Marshall Music in Lansing, then to Florida and the Atlantic Ocean... seen every mile of Interstate 10 from jacksonville, FL to Los Angeles, CA. Was in my car with me when I visited the Grand Canyon. Slept wioth me at Echo Lake, CO elev. 10,600' and road with me to the top of Mt. Evans in Colorado (elev. 14,264'). Its seen the desert of Phoenix, AZ, the Great Plains, the eastcoast, the westcoast, and about every where in between. I think I'll have them drop it into my coffin when I'm dead, haha...

So when I was 17-18 years old, I had the Ashly preamp system for my amp sent to 2 x 12" Electro-Voice Pro Line EVM 12S speakers in single 1x12" cabinets built by Dave West (of West Amps and Grand Funk Railroad amp maker fame), the ProCo Rat for the guts, and a Thomas Organ Cry Baby, a Mu-Tron Phasor II, and a Tel Ray Morley PFL Pro Flanger. And as young, dumb, and full of cum as I was, I had no idea that what I had in my possession would all one day be called "vintage" gear, haha.

I also didn't realize until a few minutes ago that this stuff was 40 years ago... holy shit.

Where did the time fly?

I suppose I need to buy a ruby ring to celebrate. Rubies are the traditional 40th anniversary gift thing... I like rubies. Kind of like the ruby red light on the front of a tube amp glowing when you switch the power on.

I guess I am old. But old is only a figment of your imagination. You're only 57 years "old" if you agree to be 57 years old.

When I plug in and turn on that Ashly I am 17 again.

Toepfer, PaulS and Florin like this.