Replacing the thumb preamp.

Reaction score
Hi.

I own a thumb 6 string BO with the stock MEC active preamp and active pickups.
I would like to exchange the preamp for a darkglass tone capsule, does anyone know how to best do it? Would that work?
I would love to have it set up as volume, bass and stacked mid + high mid.
Any info would be greatly appreciated as to what parts I would be needing for such a procedure.

Thank you.

Stainless

Guard of the Fortress
Reaction score
What kind of arrangement is on your bass?
Does Darkglass offer a preamp set with stacked mid and high mids? As far as I know, the don't
So you have to buy yourself a stacked poti and solder it yourself.

Have you checked your bass already in combination with the B7K?

Reaction score
You’ll have to buy the required normal and stacked pots in the sizes darkglass wants and install them. I believe darkglass wants 50k pots. For the life of me I’m having trouble determining what Warwick uses by default. But it seems the electronics for some of their preamp system are attached to the pots themselves instead of all on the mainboard like with the darkglass so it might be easier to replace them even if they’re a match.

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Tone capsule used to look like this:

1627500793748.png

But nowadays it looks like this:

1627500844886.png

I don't know for sure but if the latter is the current tone capsule, using stacked pots looks pretty much out of the question...

Reaction score
That first look used to be the de facto way preamps were built, until EMG realised that making propeitary pots and such makes more money so everyone started copying them.
I think e-mailing Darkglass with your request is the best way to go, they might even be able to tell you if they even make stacked pots for their preamps.

Reaction score
The second is still connecting wires, they just have connectors built in to simplify it. You could still take wires and wire up your own pots as long as they’re rated right.

Top Bottom