Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Replace MEC 2-band EQ by 3-band or change completely to Bart

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by olbass, Jul 15, 2008.

1. olbass

olbass Guest

Hello Together,

Out of the PU-drop-outs I recently had on my Steamer LX5 BN's balance poti I started to question the whole set-up. Means either buy a new pot (20€) or spend 200€ more and buy a MEC 3 band EQ or even more, replace the MEC PU by Bartolinis and add the related 3-band (~350€ via US Import). Having a Tobias with the Bart set-up, I more or less know what I may get, but maybe the move to 3-band is good enough, but cheaper, as the current MEC 2-band sound is not that bad....
    Did anyone made this upgrade and could may comment on this.

Many thanks and best regards

Olbass

2. Gerry

Gerry

I like 3 band Mec for Streamers. Clear but not brittle. Oh, and welcome if no one said it yet :)

3. naetog

naetog

I like the EQ frequencies better on the Bartolini or Aguilar setups. I find the bass knob to be much more useful, and the mids are nice if you put a push/pull for the frequency select.

4. bassbooty

bassbooty

+1 :wink:

5. bassbooty

bassbooty

+1 :wink:

6. maddrakkett

maddrakkett R.I.P.

Same here. When I got my 2000 Thumb NT, the preamp on it hissed and the internal trim pot didn't work, so I changed both the preamp and the pickups to all Bartolini.

The Bartolini 3-band preamp w/push-pull mid select is incredible. It's quieter than MEC and as mentioned, has better bass and mid control. To keep the full function and knobs of the Warwick bass, I had to replace the Bartolini Volume/Blend and Treble/Bass pots with the MEC pots, but now I can pull the Volume to switch into passive mode, just like before, and I got to keep the Warwick knobs, which look better than any other IMO.

I like Bartolini pickups too and use them on my Streamer Stage I and on my Corvette Std. fretless, but on the Thumb, I found the MEC active pickups to be a better tonal fit, as they are slightly hotter and more aggressive in a very musical way, contributing to the signature modern sound and definition of the Thumb bass.

So for me, I find that MEC active pickups and pots with a Bartolini 3-band preamp is the perfect combo if I want the modern-aggressive signature Warwick tone and growl! :D

7. flipper_gv

flipper_gv

check out audere too, they are great preamps

8. vpshockwave

vpshockwave

My '93 SSII is coming tomorrow, and I'm already debating whether or not to take out the 2 band EQ and upgrade, or switch, etc. I'll be interested in your conclusion.

9. pico322

pico322

I have the original Mec 2-way electronics on my Thumb BO5, and the 3-way on my '92 SSI, and I love them both. The three way gives me a little more presence when needed, and both are absolutely hiss-free.

For the pickup configuration of a Streamer LX, anyway, I would probably choose the 3-way (wich is actually what I did with my second hand SSI, that had non-Mec 2-way electronics that I replaced). I think you have a wider sound palette with P/J pickups and a 3-way Mec, and Streamers' vocation is versitility.

Pico

10. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hello OlBass, welcome to the forum.

I actually like the MECs on Warwick basses. It's like... when you buy a bass, you expect to have a sound, so why change it? I don't really like the 2 band eq, but this can be good, because the best sound you will get out of your bass is with eq bypassed. That will sound better than with Bartolini preamp :)
    So, if I were in your place, I would fix the pot, and use it without the eq.
    Cheers/ Flo

11. olbass

olbass Guest

Thanks for all the great input and your feedback. THis helped me quite a lot together with the other posts with comparable topic.
    So in fact I am now stuck between the cheapest solution (new balance pot) and the total change of all pickups and EQ to Bartolini. The upgrade to MEC 3-band I will not consider anymore. By the way, I use the EQ pots from time to time, .......

12. warwickhunt

warwickhunt

If you change your mind about the 3 band MEC EQ, then I have an 18v MEC circuit for sale :wink:

13. olbass

olbass Guest

Hi warwickhunt, changing mind is always a question price (and in this case the space for the 2nd battery). If your 18v MEC circuit (3 band) would come along with 4 knob and a good price I may start thinking .......

14. warwickhunt

warwickhunt

The system is fitted to a SSI and the second battery fits in the clip off control cavity... Ah I see what you mean; Single control cavity as opposed to the old separate cavity on the old basses.

It is indeed 4 controls. Give me a day or two to see if I can figure out if you can fit both batteries (it will run at 9v obviously).

15. olbass

olbass Guest

Hi, you got it. The whole staff incl. batteries need to fit into the one standard Warwick electronic cavity, the one with the click lock.
    [​IMG]