Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Removing Satin Finish?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by Warhole, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Warhole

Warhole

Hi folks,

Do you know if it is doable to remove and convert warwick bass with satin finsinish into an oil finish?

I am talking about a german starbass buninga pommelé. I always found that the satin finish looks a bit dull and I recently made (by accident) a little chip on the bass and I found that the wood actually looks better unfinished.

Oil finished Starbass aren't listed anywhere, so maybe it is not even an compatible with Laminated Bubinga construction. I was also thinking about a color stain finish burgundy red at some point, but I don't know if it can look great on bubinga wood...

95% chance that I will never refinish that bass but I would like to know the possibilities and why oil finish does not appear to be an option for the starbass on Warwick website?

Thanks

2. Hoggles

Hoggles Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Pure speculation here, but I would think it would be doable. Just being very careful with how much wood you remove (as with any refinish ofc). Yeah, it's super thin in places...and even though the sides are "solid"...that solid piece is about 8 sheets of paper thick :eek:

If I were going to do it, I'd use a fairly fine grit of sandpaper, from the beginning. Of course if you do ever go for it...post lots of pics :)

Warhole likes this.
  3. Warhole

Warhole

Thanks,

Yes, the wood is thin and laminated. This plus the binding... I would make it done by a pro.

Is a bubinga pommelé colored with transparent burgundi red stain an untasteful idea?
    I mean bubinga is quite dark and redish by itself. The fact that it is almost impossible to find an example in the custom shop, might be the beginning of an answer:rolleyes:

I am also curious about why the oil finish does not appear to be an option for the starbass?