Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Reggae amp / Robbie Shakespeare

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by wessman, Jul 8, 2007.

1. wessman

wessman

Hi!

Read on the net that Robbie Shakespeare uses Warwick amps ´n cabs. Do you happen to know what model? Is Warwick Tubepath 10.1 good at reggae? How about Warwick 411-ND cab? How do they compare to Eden´s WT-800C and Eden 410XLT cab (used by Family Man)?

Thanks.

KR: reggae man

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi wessman, welcome to the forum mate :)

The tubepath is great for reggae, I own one and I play reggae lines from time to time :)
    For cabinet, I'd chose 411 pro instead of 411 ND. Actually the 611 would be the best choice for reggae sound IMHO

Cheers, Flo

3. wessman

wessman

Hi, Flo!

Why do you prefer 411 pro over 411 ND? How do you compare Eden WT800-C to Warwick Tubepath 10.1 concerning reggae playing?

Thanks.

KR: reggae man

4. Florin

ND cabs have a specific sound, midrangy. I'd chose a ND cab for fusion stuff, where you play a lot of notes and you wanna hear them well.
    ND cabs are very articulate, and have more decibels than PRo cabs.
    PRO cabs have a more conventional sound, with more low end than ND cabs.
    I own both ND and PRO cabs, and I play mostly on PRO cabs in live. I say you cand hear ND cabs better, but you can FEEL PRO cabs better. I use ND cabs in studio, for better midrange.
    From PRO series, I'd chose 611 PRO for reggae stuff.

It doesn't mean that you cannot play reggae on ND cabs!!!! If you are looking for lightweight cabinets, then use them :)

I am not very familiar with EDEN stuff, but I can say to you that TUBEPATH 10.1 is a very high quality amp, that delivers a fat warm tubey sound, and you can dial some great reggae sounds out of it :)

5. wessman

wessman

Hi Florin,

There is no 611 available in the stock. How about:

Option A: 2 x 411 PRO?

Or

Option B: 1 x 411 PRO + 2 x 115 PRO

Or

Option C: 2 x 411 PRO + 1 x 115 PRO

Which one is the best for Bob Marley´s reggae?

Should they all be 8 ohms cabs?

Are the above cabs and Tubepath 10.1 made in Germany?

Many thanks for your help.

KR: Reggae man

6. Florin

Hi wessman,

Any configuration you've descriebed would sound good for reggae.

The 115 is a good complement for 211 pro, but the 411 have enough low end . IMHO
    So 2 x 411 are more than enough for your reggae sound. You can adjust the HF horn on both cabs, even shut it down completely.

If you use 2 x 411 you'll have to link them in parallel - it means, using a speakon, amp- cab1- cab 2. You need 8 ohms cab.

If you use 2x 411 + 115 ( might be an interesting configuration), you have to link them this way:
    you need 4 ohms 411, and 8 ohms 115. You need to link the 411 in series ( 4+4 = 8 ohms), then, to link this group with 115 (8 ohms) in parallel , resulting 4 ohms impedance for the 4 ohms amp :)

So it means- amp ------------115 - and from "+" pole of 115 you go to + pole of first 411. Then from "-" pole of the first 411 you link to "+" pole of the 2nd 411, then from "-" pole of the 2nd 411 you go back to the "-" pole of the 115. That's it :)

The TUBEPATH, XTREME, and JH series are made in Germany, and all our cabinets are made in China ( I just couldn't believe that when I found out , they are very good quality cabs)

Take care my friend :)