Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Refinishing Ovangkol and other stuff.

Discussion in 'Non - Official Warwick Customer Support' started by WhiteKnuckles, Mar 21, 2008.

1. WhiteKnuckles

WhiteKnuckles

Hey all,

I may be picking up a Thumb over the weekend that plays fine, but needs a bit of TLC. The only playability issue is that she may need new frets in the next couple of years...not a major problem.

There aren't any chips or gouges, but where the owners thumb rests at the neck pup...the finish is worn down quite badly. Are there any oils or varnishes that you could recommend to fix that up?

Also, what would you recommend as a cleaner for removing heavy grime on the fretboard and neck without damaging them?

Thanks...

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hello buddy! You can sand the dirt down, then refinish it with wax, or with some oil. I've used Birchwood Casey tru oil once with great results.

Abut cleaning the fb, the lemon oil should do the trick.

3. WhiteKnuckles

WhiteKnuckles

Would the Tru-Oil or Tung Oils bring the dark color back to the area where the thumb has been resting on the body? If not on it's own...and idea on what would? It's almost white and shows up like crazy on that dark wood.

Thanks for the Lemon Oil reminder, I've used it once many years ago and had forgotten what a good job it does on grime.