Reference for Warwick vintage

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum and new owner of a beautiful '88 Thumb 5 NT. My question is the following. Is there somewhere on the internet or in the physical world a complete and reliable reference to the specifications of different Warwick models, by year of construction? I just bought "the Bass Book" (about all bass guitars, not just 'wicks), published by BackBeat I think, but that is IMHO a rather disappointing book, pretty incomplete and Fender-biased.

Curtis

Editor De Bassist magazine (NL)
Reaction score
There are two versions of the Bass Book. The new one (bigger, soft cover) has a lot more about Warwick.

You can enter your S/N on the Warwick site and learn all about your bass.

Reaction score
Thanks Curtis,
Mine is the new version, and I agree in this edition Warwick is discussed to some extent. Anyway, I think the reference data in the final part of the book is not very helpful. For example, the woods used in different years are generally not cited, only fingerboard woods are. That is maybe reasonable for Fender basses, but definitely not for wicks.
For my particular bass, I will soon post some pictures on the forum.

Reaction score
Warwick have produced such a variation in models (inc customer spec'd early models and later Custom Shop) that it is 'almost' impossible to cite every combination that has been available but if you post a pic of your bass then there are loads of knowledgeable people will be able to give you the spec of your bass.

Reaction score
Someone needs to write "The Warwick Book" - now that'd be a thing to drool over! Any forummers good at writing and with loads of spare time??

Reaction score
I just want to specify that my post was actually not about the basses that I have, but more about the ones that I want.

Someone needs to write "The Warwick Book" - now that'd be a thing to drool over! Any forummers good at writing and with loads of spare time??

You're right mart, or more likely a kind of unofficial Warwick (and maybe not only Warwick) collector's webpage. Something with less strict requirements than wikipedia regarding references and so on, but whose reliability can be guaranteed by the readers. On the Warwick side, some systematic posts on this forum could do the job. Or maybe a dedicated wiki, the existing wiki articles can be recycled there, and expanded.

Another remark is that for guitars, there are a lot of good (or less so) books on the history and evolution of all or single builders, while for bass it seems impossible to find anything about any brand but Fender.

Top Bottom