Re-working Streamer Stage Obp 2 Band Preamp

Reaction score
Hi,

I would welcome any advice on some electronics in a bass.

I have my first ever Streamer on it's way to me neck week. It's a used Stage 1 from 2000 but it's been fitted with EMG active pickups and an 18v Aguilar OBP 2 preamp and the controls currently (I think) V /V/T/B.

With all things being good with the bass I would like to either change the preamp (if i don't care for the tone) or alter the controls so that I can have a dual control stack/concentric pot for Volume/blend with the actice/passive pull control. I realise this would leave me with one pot spare not doing anything, unless I could just leave the blend control out of the wiring and still have two Volumes. Or maybe the spare pot could be used as a passive tone control? I would like the option to be able to switch to passive.. and I do tend to prefer basses passive but sometimes on gigs when I need to adjust my sound to the stage/room quickly I can see how active pres do have their uses.

The other option would be to either replace the OBP 2 with the 3 band version or another manufacturer of a 3 band preamp - so it's layout would be like how the original MEC is laid out on normal Warwicks. What would be people suggest as a replacement 3 band pre - It would be nice if, when set flat the bass sounds the same as it does passive

I like EMGs in my Corvette (which i run with passive electronics V/V/T so willing to give them a go, tho I do love Nordstrands these days.

Would love to hear your thoughts, Wanted a Streamer since I started playing bass in the mid 90s, never seemed to actually get one until now tho. Always been a lover of Warwick basses but unfortunately at the start of my career the fell out of fashion and shuned by producers I worked with, so had to use Fenders... my old Fender Jazz from those days is now knackered where as my corvette and thumb are still going strong and sound great!

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Passive tone is an excellent addition since it dials out some of the trebs in a very different way then an active treble pot does.
I can imagine sometimes dialing out some of the bridge pickup volume to get a more oldskool pbass like tone but hardly ever doing the opposite. Therefor vol/vol versus vol/bal isn't that much of a difference.
Of all my active basses that have the option to use them passive, I never use passive mode on any of them. So I suggest you first take some time to get to know the bass as is, it might just be perfect already.

Might you still want to upgrade afterwards, have a look at the John East uni-pre 4 knob .
  • No soldering required
  • vol+bal stacked pot
  • push/pull for treble boost at 10k on the bass+treb stacked pot
  • Passive tone control with push/pull for activating passive mode
  • stacked mids pot with sweep frequncy
  • internal trim pots for selecting the treble freq and bass roof+floor frequencies.
  • internal jumper for selecting flat or slightly scooped default EQ

Top Bottom