Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Rb Corvette $$ Top String Issue/pickups?

Discussion in 'Bass Pickups & Electronics' started by Nihil84, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Nihil84

Nihil84

Hello, recently new to a 4 string RB corvette $$ 2017 passive model with series/parallel stock setup, love the bass however I do have an issue with the top string/E string. All the other strings sound fine but the top string seems to be quite louder/boomy than the rest. Its so significant it makes my bass amps (tested on several) sound like they are farting/distorting out. Even band members have commented on "whats up with that string?"

Is this normal?
    IF so can I do something to the electronics to fix this or a different set of pickups?

Florin likes this.
  2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum buddy
    First check the pickup setup, how close is to the string. MM type pickups need bigger space- let's say 4mm for the bridge pickup, and 4 mm for neck pickup with string pressed at 24th fret.

Marcoelwray likes this.
  3. Marcoelwray

Marcoelwray Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

That's a weird situation. I seriously doubt about BOTH pickups dead on one pole. Due the coils design, it's most likely… impossible.
    Like Flo said wisely, first things is to check hardware setup. Plus some basics:

Is the E string seems normal to you? tension, placement, saddle posture…
    I Don't know much about RB, but if there's a passive option, does it still do the same thing without the EQ?
    If not, when tweaking the controls, everything's fine?

I'll go for a preamp issue but this is really odd. Why just on the E string? Hardware need to be checked first

Florin likes this.
  4. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Supporting Member

If strings are too close, AND bass bosted on EQ, E string might sound as he describes with any MM type bass.

Marcoelwray likes this.
  5. jester

jester Moderator Moderator

It is in fact possible to have such manifestations with a broken preamp. If you have say a shelving bass control at 40Hz and for some obscure reason the preamp is stuck to bass on full (perhaps due to a problematic pot or solder) you will have a very boomy low B string or even E string. In my opinion it is much more probable that the pickups are just too close to the string due to poor setup like you guys said.

6. Marcoelwray

Marcoelwray Supporting Member Good Vibe Sponsor

Agreed. But the A string at octave deliver a lot of lows too.... Not 40hz but it should sound not properly.