Rant-ish? Why Are Broad Necks So Rare?

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
This morning at 7:25 AM CST I placed an online order for what was listed as a Stage Streamer I 5 string. The pic was kinda crappy but I could tell it was a broadneck and that is why I jumped on it. It may have been an LX (my personal opinion) but the price was right even if it was an LX and just that much better if it was an SSI.

I got my email receipt from GC and very happily went about my day. Having had other issues that forced pulling the plug on other extended rage basses finding a reasonably priced broadneck streamer was a real godsend.

At 11:44 I get an email and phone call from Guitar CEnter. My order has been canceled. I'm then told someone purchased it in store prior my purchase. OK, I purchased 3 hours before they open the physical store, explain please.

Employee one: we sold it while waiting for the credit auth. but you can speak with my manager if you want.

Manager. Sometimes we don't see online orders until later in the day. Next time call.

Yay, 2 conflicting stories.

Likely reality: We sat on it until one our personal friends/bandmates/family members could swing by and get it because we know it's a freaking good deal too. Then we cooked up this bullshit to tell you because you aren't here and can't prove it.

I wanted to press them on the authorization thing but just felt myself getting very angry and it wasn't worth driving up my blood pressure over.

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if broadneck wicks weren't so hard to find and if they were at least similarly priced to the standard 5's. The ones I find are almost always a healthy markup and this one was flat out reasonable,

easy come / easy go.

But seriously, why don't they make more broadnecks? (Yeah, I know...$$$)

-Tom

DiMarco

nutcase
Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Brrrr GC. Sucks the deal fell thru m8. I ownded two broadneck wicks which were great but I really do prefer the standard necks when it comes down to playability. This took its sweet time adjusting though. Now I can slap as easy on broad and regular necks.

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
Brrrr GC. Sucks the deal fell thru m8. I ownded two broadneck wicks which were great but I really do prefer the standard necks when it comes down to playability. This took its sweet time adjusting though. Now I can slap as easy on broad and regular necks.

perhaps your approach is the better one. it certainly presents many more options. I can manage on narrower spacing just don't prefer it. Except on fretless where it seems to be more beneficial.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Sorry to hear the deal fell through with GC. It's not certain they did something fishy though, it could have been anything. I'm lately starting to realize that spacing is a big deal. Sadly, my preferred spacing is somewhere between a 4-string and a 5-string Warwick, so I have to set my 4 strings narrow and my 5 strings wide. It's good that the W bridge offers a certain degree of adjustability.

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
Eh, I'm over it. When it happened I was fairly annoyed and it was as much by the principle of it as anything. They were just sort of rude about it and I got 2 different stories which made me wonder if they were just idiots one of them bought it for themselves. As far as the spacing goes it can be a big deal. I've had 2 thumb 5's and they both felt tight. Stingray's on the other seem to work for me with their 17.5mm spacing.

I should be thankful GC kept me from spending money I guess.

jester

ocdemon
Reaction score
Real Name
Yanni
Eh, I'm over it. When it happened I was fairly annoyed and it was as much by the principle of it as anything. They were just sort of rude about it and I got 2 different stories which made me wonder if they were just idiots one of them bought it for themselves. As far as the spacing goes it can be a big deal. I've had 2 thumb 5's and they both felt tight. Stingray's on the other seem to work for me with their 17.5mm spacing.

I should be thankful GC kept me from spending money I guess.

Yah what I was trying to say practically, 17.5mm is pretty sweet. At least for me.

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Where is my last message gone? O.K., here again: the SS1 is always broad neck and not that different from a SS2.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I think SSI is quite different from a SSII.
But this is what I did to be 100% slap happy.
1- you can set the saddles wider, to 17mm which is already a nice spacing. You should be a bit careful when fretting on G string, but it is manegeable.
2- I moved E and A closer, so a bit narrower spacing between BEA, and that is quite nice, since allows playing some low riffs more rleaxed. And Bigger spacing between ADG, and by by bigger I mean even 18-19mm, which is great. It actually feels really nice, have all the space I need for slapping, lower strings play easier, while keeping a human size neck.
BN Warwicks are a bit too wide for my extremities :)

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
I think SSI is quite different from a SSII.

To quote the great and wise @DemBoneZ : to the audience they all just make „boom boom boom“! ;)

I was in the same situation, wanting a Streamer broad neck and finally bought a SS1 with the nicest buckeye burl top, the best neck and fretboard I ever played - and sold it because I stayed a 4 string player. At home I can hear the differences clearly, on stage it becomes harder. Actually on stage I prefer the SS1, because I can play a bit more dynamically than with a SS2.

Reaction score
Real Name
Tom Baker
I stumbled across a 2001 broadneck Streamer LX and I'm working to acquire it. Shipping arrangements have yet to be completed. A SS2 is probably in my future as I have always wanted one but...I'm so damn picky sometimes.

Reaction score
Bases Bases everywhere, except for Thumb broadnecks, How many were ever made? anyone know? P.S. I am desperately searching for one...

Hardy

Good Vibe Sponsor
Reaction score
Bases Bases everywhere, except for Thumb broadnecks, How many were ever made? anyone know? P.S. I am desperately searching for one...

I never saw a neck through broad neck, but bolt on versions appear from time to time on the market. Two times in a year or so... good luck with the hunt!

Henrythe8

Dolphin Hoarder
Reaction score
Streamer SS1 5ers are by default Broadneck.
Dolphin 5 BN exist but are very, very rare. (Every two years or so)
Thumb BOBN come for sale once or twice a year. I just scored one. Look on basschat and here.

Top Bottom