ProFet 5.2 compressor question

Reaction score
I just got my hands on my new ProFet 5.2 amp head, and so far, I love it. I understand compressors, but the manual really doesn't help me set this one up. It says to set the input gain until you get clipping, but says nothing about setting up the compressor... There's no threshold knob, or ratio knob.. So...
How do we set it up? Seems to "attack" faster and harder the more you turn up the compression, does it look at the input gain as a threshold? If so, when it "clips", is that a relative threshold, so the compressor kicks in? Please help.

Reaction score
Hi & welcome.
The compression knob sets the Ratio. Max ratio is 10:1 with the knob turned full on.
The threshold is set by the gain knob.
Attack is around 2ms
Release cca 300ms
It's a soft knee, peak compressor.

*info stolen from Flo. :wink:

Reaction score
Greg said:
Hi & welcome.
The compression knob sets the Ratio. Max ratio is 10:1 with the knob turned full on.
Attack is around 2ms
Release cca 300ms

Greg - does the Profet 5.1 compressor work the same way?

Reaction score
Gastrok said:
Greg said:
Hi & welcome.
Attack is around 2ms
Release cca 300ms

Greg - does the Profet 5.1 compressor work the same way?

I think the only difference is the release.
Flo?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Yes, it is the same compressor. The input stage was modified for 5.2, so the compressor kicks in sooner, it means the threshold is different. But it's the same compressor really.

Reaction score
Now the issue is when I turn up the input gain knob to get the compressor threshold set up, my soundguy is getting insane level at the board, from my XLR out....He can't even put and trim on my channel, it's too hot... Mackie VLZ-1604 board. I have to crank my gain way down, and then the compressor never comes on... Can you guys help??

Reaction score
Hi & welcome.
Attack is around 2ms
Release cca 300ms

Hey Greg or Florin,

Do you know if the rotation on the Ratio dial for the Pro FET's compressor is linear?

i.e: If 10:1 is all the way up, is halfway 5:1? Is the ratio set at 2.5:1 when turned to 9 o'clock on the dial?

Does anyone have any useful starting point settings to get a nice slap sound on a Pro FET?

;)

Florin

OG
Reaction score
Now the issue is when I turn up the input gain knob to get the compressor threshold set up, my soundguy is getting insane level at the board, from my XLR out....He can't even put and trim on my channel, it's too hot... Mackie VLZ-1604 board. I have to crank my gain way down, and then the compressor never comes on... Can you guys help??

This issue was fixed by the new Profet's. They have different pots, so the compression kicks in sooner. There is nothing much you can do now, I am sorry.

Hey Greg or Florin,

Do you know if the rotation on the Ratio dial for the Pro FET's compressor is linear?

i.e: If 10:1 is all the way up, is halfway 5:1? Is the ratio set at 2.5:1 when turned to 9 o'clock on the dial?

Does anyone have any useful starting point settings to get a nice slap sound on a Pro FET?

;)
It is linear, yes. You should keep it somewhere at 10 - 11 o clock.

About the slap sound, I think the "real deal" philosophy is this:
The sound is in your bass/ strings/ hands. So your corvette with new strings already has a great slap sound.
Use more the neck pickup, or the neck pickup only.
The corrections are for "fine tuning" this is probably the right way to use them. And if you use them for fine tuning of your sound, they will alter the way your bass is placed in the mix, but not the general sound of your bass.
So that's why I am choosing my bass to have the sound I want, and I pretty much keep everything flat.
Now.... boosting somewhere between 1100 and 2500 (by taste) seems to be a good Idea for slap.
I hope it helps.

Reaction score
Thanks Florin ;) Stellar Advice.

I agree regarding tone - that's why I have my Ash 'Vette now, because whilst I can get a nice slap tone from my Bubinga 'Vette, I prefer the Ash Corvette's native tone for slap.

I really like it flat, or just with a little touch of contour applied.

I played a gig tonight with the Ash 'Vette and Pro FET (with 411 Pro Cab). I slapped a (very) little in a couple of songs and used the compressor at around 10 o'clock and EQ pretty well flat.

It sounded very nice indeed!

:d

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to understand the compressor on the 5.2... I'm confused. I was told the input GAIN acts as the threshold.. The compression light doesn't even come on until I turn it up to about 11 o clock, Warwick Corvette 5 string, not active. Then I get some compressing when I really wack on the B string, which is exactly what I want. I want to compress the heavy B sound somewhat (yes, I play with a pick, sorry!) So I can get more thick tone out of the rest of the strings, mainly the D and G strings. They sound somewhat weak with a pick. I want them to stand out more, and I figured compressing down the low b would help, letting me get more volume out of the rest of the strings.. But again, the signal is insane hot out the xlr to the board. Sound guy suggested an XLR plug-in PAD, maybe -15 dB right out of the back of my head...sound like it would work?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
The uneven string response seem to be more of an EQ or setup issue. A good bass, with good strings, and good setup shoult sound good...

Reaction score
Well, Warwick Bass, Warwick Head, Warwick strings....So thats not a good set-up?? :roll: I'll just get an output pad i guess....

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I mean the setup of your instrument, you know... pickup height, action, etc.

Top Bottom