Profet 5.1 vs X-Treme 5.1 or Sansamp?

Reaction score
Hi all,

i have a question and found no answer for that. So i hope this knew thread is ok for that.

I have a Profet 5.1 with a 611 Pro cabinet. My bass for Live-Gigs is a Westone SPECTRUM SERIES II with a EMG 35DC. So the Output of the Bass is high enough, i guess. :)
This is ok, but i often run into clipping whlie playing with 2 guitar players and a loud drummer. The Problem is, even if i have clipping, i dont have the feeling of there is enonugh bass in the air. I often read about this loudness issue with the Profet, but i still dont know, if i shoudl go for a X-Treme 5.1 instead. Would this fix my problem?

One guy told me to go for a tech 21 sansamp di. This thing would have a lot power and would be much better to form a nice sound, but i´m not a friend of much equipmet. I would like to have one amp, and thats it.

So what do you mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Real Name
Chris
X-Treme is always a better choice. Profet is introductory level.

A Sansamp is a unit that people typically use to run direct into the PA system. You wouldn't have any cabs. Just the Sansamp and you'd hear yourself in the montors. This is fine if you are using in-ears or are playing a venue that has fantastic monitors. I prefer some kind of bass cab on stage because all too often, the bass can get lost in the monitors.

To me this isn't an either/or situation. I wouldn't try to replace an amp/cab setup with a Sansamp and vice versa. It's nice to have the X-treme/cab setup, as well as a Sansamp for situations where it's needed.

Reaction score
The x-treme is crazy loud. Don't go for the sansamp though. It's a great unit but you wouldn't have an amp at all. The sansamp is just a preamp. There is no power section.

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion!
If I get you right, the X-treme is much better, and first of all i should get rid of the Profet. I should not be to expensive to get a used one instead (sell and buy)
Anyway, the Sansamp seems to be a good choise for playing live, because i dont always have the possibility to play over my own amp/cab.

One more Question: Right now there is a Tubepath 5.1 on ebay. Is this in principle the same quality, in terms of build quality?

Reaction score
In my opinion they are the exact same build quality. It's just the sound you want.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
+1. Tubepath is tubey and vintage, Xtreme is dry and fast and growly. Your choice!
There is no need for a Sans Amp, and I guess if you want you can take the 2U head with you anyway...

Reaction score
OK, thanks a lot. So i will try to find a used X-treme 5.1. Nethertheless i will try out a sansamp, just for the case of playing live without my amphead. If i found one, i will report.

Reaction score
Here we go, what would be a fair price for a used x-treme 5.1? I found someone here who would sell it for 400 € with flightcase.

Reaction score
So, I have my first expierence with a sansamp and my Profet 5.1 with 611 Pro cab. The Sansamp definetly brings a bit more Power to the system. So Loudness is somehow a bit enhanced.
It seem like it does not play a role where to plug in the sansamp:

bass->sansamp->input Profet or
bass-> sansamp-> effect return or
bass-> profet preamp -> sansamp-> eff. return

Nevertheless, the tone stays a bit unclear and mumbling, even when bass eq is down. Dont know how to say. So next step is to try out the X-treme alone and with sansamp.

Florin

OG
Reaction score
don't set the "blend" pot too high, the sound will get muddy and scooped :)
Be sure you use the Sans Amp DI for the FOH console.
Cheers,
Flo

Reaction score
bass->sansamp->input Profet or
bass-> sansamp-> effect return or
bass-> profet preamp -> sansamp-> eff. return

I was wondering the same thing. How would you plug a Sansamp preamp with an amp that already has a preamp? I own a WA600 and I would like to get a little more "crunchyness": So I was thinking of a Sansamp RBI.

What do you guys think?

Florin

OG
Reaction score
I think you can try different approaches and chose the one you like the most...
I would use SA before or after the amp's preamp, depending on the quality of the DI - Preamp vs SA.
I would keep the one with best DI sound last in line...

Reaction score
Time to report! I got my X-treme 5.1 and already played the first very small gig with it. It was so small, that there was no pa. Normaly in such a situation i would never had the chance to hear myself, or i would destroy the hole bandsound with a loud mumbling bass. But this time i had the x-treme and i was really impressed of the sound.

To make it short: Powerfull, clear and punchy! Just like i want it.
I played without sansamp. So there is sitll something to report after the next experience. But so far i have to thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Update:
Now I played some gigs with X-treme and Sansamp and I´m still not shure if i really need it. One the one side there is something more. More Power, thicker, a bit warmer sound with a bit distortion (depending on the gain), but on the other side the tone is not that clear anymore. I guess there will alway be a trade off.
So I´m still searching for my favorite sound.

Reaction score
Update:
Now I played some gigs with X-treme and Sansamp and I´m still not shure if i really need it. One the one side there is something more. More Power, thicker, a bit warmer sound with a bit distortion (depending on the gain), but on the other side the tone is not that clear anymore. I guess there will alway be a trade off.

It sounds like you already have the sound you want without the Sansamp. Why change it now?

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. How would you plug a Sansamp preamp with an amp that already has a preamp? I own a WA600 and I would like to get a little more "crunchyness": So I was thinking of a Sansamp RBI.

What do you guys think?
If it's like my Fender combo, when you plug into the effects return only it bypasses the pre of the amp.

I think you can try different approaches and chose the one you like the most...
I would use SA before or after the amp's preamp, depending on the quality of the DI - Preamp vs SA.
I would keep the one with best DI sound last in line...
The SansAmp manual recommends plugging the unit (SABDDI) direct in line. Bass>SABDDI>Amp.

Update:
Be sure you're setting the gain on the SA to unity with the amp and if you're running it with a bit of drive, you're going to lose that clarity that you're used to with a solid state amp such as the X-Treme.

I've actually played a gig with just a SABDDI. Walked in with pedal board, plugged into FOH and monitors. Sounded great and only had to carry in a bass and pedal board. :)

Top Bottom