Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

Profet 3.2 Questions

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by Pedro, Oct 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Pedro

Pedro

Just got my first profet 3.2 and although it is very awesome I do have a few questions about the compression, contour and clip.

Compression - In really simple talking-to-a-five-year old English, what does it actually do to the sound because i can't tell the difference between having it on and off.

Contour - Again, in really simple English what does it do, also do I need to adjust the bass/low mid/high mid/ treble for it to take effect.

Finally, if the clip light comes on every time a note is played does that mean the gain / volume combination is about right?

Cheers guys
    Rundown

2. Florin

Florin Warwick Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hey Rundown,

The compression cuts the peaks of your sound above one level. So it will keep loud notes loud. You raise then the overall volume, so the bass is more present in the mix. It is more complicated than this, but this is the basics. A good compressor is transparent, so it adds nothing to the sound. But it tames the bass a little.

Contour - it cuts some frequencies and it boosts other frequencies. Just play with the pot, and keep it in the position you like... I prefer the sound with the countour off. It brings a nice vibe to the sound, but the bass is less present with contour on, because it cuts some mids.

Clip. The right way to set this for almost any amp is this: The clip LED should light only when you hit the bass really loud, and it should stay off on normal playing. Of course, the best way is to keep your technique steady, so the overall volume to be just a little below clipping ;-)

I hope it helps mate.
    Flo

3. Pedro

Pedro

cheers Flo, will keep that info in mind next time i get enough free time to actually have a good play with the damn thing!!