Dismiss Notice
Join The Good Vibe Zone today, and hangout with the nicest bass community in the world :)

PROFET 3.2 Questions...

Discussion in 'Bass Amps & Cabinets' started by nizzrooster, Mar 7, 2008.

1. nizzrooster

nizzrooster

I was looking into getting a Profet 3.2. I found one for sale for under $300. First question: Is this a good price to pay? Second question: Can I plug 2 speaker cabs into it or only 1? Third question: Does anyone here use one of these amps? If so, how is it??

2. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

Can't help you on price, I don't know what the "Street" price is in the US.

Tonally, the Pro FET 3.2 is very nice. I like it and it's big brother than Pro FET 5.1 ;)

The 3.2 isn't as loud as the 5.1 of course. 300w as opposed to 500w. If you think you'll need lots of volume, perhaps consider the 5.1?

Can you plug 2 speaker cabs into it? Sure, connect the two cabs together in parallel, then connect them to the head's speaker out socket.

Just bear in mind that the amp's maximum load is 4 ohms, and you can't go under that without risking damaging the head. That means you could connect a single 8 ohm cab, a single 4 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs connected in parallel to create a 4 ohm load.

Have fun!

:D

Cheers,

Luke.

3. nizzrooster

nizzrooster

Hey. That's perfect! It just so happens that I have two 8 ohm cabs that I would plug into it. Oh, and by the way, the less then $300 price is on a new one, not a used one.

4. personal_bean

personal_bean

Sounds great that you have two 8 ohm cabs to use.
    Remember the amp will only give you 300 watts

What is the power ratings for the cabs?
    There might be no point using two cabs if you cant power them.

Remember
    always better to have a more powerful head than cab.

If you want a 300 watt head it might be better to trade in your two cabinets and buy a 4 ohm cabinet.
    That will mean that the head will work at its best.

But i would recommend not going for more than a 400+ watts of speaker.

5. Benjamin

Benjamin

6. Stroud

Stroud

the probllem with useing a reasonably low powered head can be that you are tempted to turn it up to max which can cause distortion (coming from the head) and it is this that can bugger the cabs

7. Eberbachl

Eberbachl

The power rating of a cab is not the power required to run it.

It is the maximum power the cab can withstand.

A 1000w cab would sound fine with a Pro FET 3.2 ;) The 3.2 would still deliver it's full 300w (if it was a 4 ohm cab).

The thing that determines how loud any given cabinet will be with a head is not it's wattage rating, but it's sensitivity. The more sensitivity the cabinet has, the louder it will be with the same amount of power delivered to it.

The thing to be careful of is simply that you buy an amp head that has sufficient power to give you the volume you need without driving it too hard and distorting it, which can damage the speakers (regardless of what their wattage rating is).

Of course you shouldn't use cabs that are rated too low - because you might damage them, but a little lower than the head's output is fine (as you will rarely be running the head at it's maximum output).

A good goal is to buy cabs that have, or combine to make a wattage rating similar to the output of your head. Cabs with a larger rating, however are fine.

The concept that a smaller head cannot "drive" a cab with a larger wattage rating is a myth ;)

8. nizzrooster

nizzrooster

The cabs I have are an Ampeg BSE 410 HLF and 115 HLF. I think they're each 200 watts but can be programmed for 400. I'm not sure tho. I'll have to look.